Society And Physical Abuse

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-05-2014, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2014 12:44 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
RE: Society And Physical Abuse
(29-05-2014 11:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 10:46 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Besides, whats wrong with wanting to create equality for everyone, without worrying about what they are?

That is what feminism is about. When it started, women were slaves and feminism brought them into the current age, where the only inequality left is unequal pay for equal work.

As I said before, now existing laws need to catch up. They work mostly against men, except for rape, where the raped woman is still presented as slut.

That is why you now have male rights groups, and that is as it should be. It's not equal until it's equal.

But the continued use of word "feminism" seems to imply there isn't equality. That women are still being subjugated. I also don't know about the whole women were slaves part. My great aunt used to talk about all the work she did inside the home. But she saw herself as just as important as her husband (so did he). Yes, he handled the money, but he was never stingy and she knew everything that went on -- but never once touched the checkbook -- then again neither did he...they didn't have a checking account until the late 50s because they didn't trust banks! He made the money and she joked that she spent it. They paid cash for everything. Those were the days when you pay your electric bill or phone bill at Woolworths. Most places ran a tab/account for regular customers.

In my grandmother's house, she handled all the money and doled it out to grandpa -- so he'd have a little mad money she called it. Smile

When they (great aunt and uncle) bought a house it was put into her name alone. She said it was his Job to protect her. Grandma's house was in both their names always.

Maybe it's time for the, "feminist" movement to adopt a new word? One that isn't female or male in the root. Although many feel they (women) haven't achieved enough equal footing and others feel they've overstepped.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Can any of the feminists here tell me what else is there for Feminism to fight for?

I mean besides legislating for income equality, which is a noble goal though it always has a cemplete disregard for economics and ends up hurting women in the worforce.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
29-05-2014, 01:48 PM
(29-05-2014 01:30 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Can any of the feminists here tell me what else is there for Feminism to fight for?

I mean besides legislating for income equality, which is a noble goal though it always has a cemplete disregard for economics and ends up hurting women in the worforce.

You keep putting forth that assertion but every piece of data ever produced says otherwise. Care to back it up?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-05-2014, 01:54 PM
(29-05-2014 01:30 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Can any of the feminists here tell me what else is there for Feminism to fight for?

How does income equality hurt women?

29-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I actually talked to some peers in high school about it, they all said nobody cared if males get abused, in fact they think it is funny.Undecided

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-05-2014, 02:11 PM
(29-05-2014 11:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well then, i wasted my time for the last several decades. Angry Nothing good came from it. Sad I'm just a man hating bitch.

You most certainly aren't!

Heart

Like you said to me earlier in this thread, we all have different experiences.

Maybe being on the west coast has something to do with it, or maybe San Francisco...dunno...

Hug

29-05-2014, 02:16 PM
(29-05-2014 12:04 PM)War Horse Wrote:  All I remember of feminism in the 70s, is Hellen Ready, maxi dresses and Birkenstocks...... oh, just shoot me now. Weeping

Birkenstocks -- their ad should have read, "comfortable but ugly"

Big Grin

I liked Helen Reddy Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-05-2014, 02:33 PM
(29-05-2014 02:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 12:04 PM)War Horse Wrote:  All I remember of feminism in the 70s, is Hellen Ready, maxi dresses and Birkenstocks...... oh, just shoot me now. Weeping

Birkenstocks -- their ad should have read, "comfortable but ugly"

Big Grin

I liked Helen Reddy Smile

'I am women, hear me roar, in numbers to big to ignore.... etc' Weeping

Now I'll have that song haunting me all night long. Sadcryface Sadcryface2 Weeping

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
29-05-2014, 02:48 PM
(29-05-2014 01:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How does income equality hurt women?

Income equality doesnt hurt women. Legislating it however does hurt them in the job market.

Let me explain.
Let's pretend that there is ubiqutous discrimination of women in the workforce. Women looking for employment have to negotiate for lower wages than male counterparts (loosely defined, although Stanford Economist Thomas Sowell shows in Economics: Fact And Fallacies that when filtering for never married and childless women and men with similar qualifications and experience there is actually a higher wage for women than men)

So let's say that the employers who were a little sexist but cared more about their profits hired some women (because they would negotiate lower wages than men) and the really sexist employers just completely barred women from working with them.

Then lets assume it's legislated that women have to be paid the same as their male peers or else the employer will pay a fine or whatnot.

The really sexist employers will have no better motivation to hire women and the not so sexist employers that hired women in the past because they would be cheaper now really have no incentive to prefer them over men and will hire less of them leaving more women unemployed.

That is assuming there is actually pay discrimination which economist Thomas Sowell has actually shown not to exist in Economics: Facts and Fallacies and Basic Economics. For a quick breakdown of his case you can read it here.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
29-05-2014, 02:56 PM
(29-05-2014 02:48 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  That is assuming there is actually pay discrimination which economist Thomas Sowell has actually shown not to exist in Economics: Facts and Fallacies and Basic Economics. For a quick breakdown of his case you can read it here.

Yeah, not so much.

"If we control for the discriminating factors, there's no discrimination!"

Hmm.

When an analysis includes such assumptions as women accounting for 100% (!) of parental leave, it's part of the problem.

... this is my signature!