Society-induced depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Society-induced depression
As a sufferer of Aspergeres syndrome, i have great difficulty in understanding society and social life. Things like social cues, the right things to saw at the right times, unwritten rules in regard to politeness and general interaction and Interests that differ greatly from the societal norm. I struggled with all of these, and it has caused dips in mood on several occasions. My question is: Is this normal? I am 16 years old.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Daftheed's post
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
RE: Society-induced depression
These are things that are tough for many people, especially adolescents. I can only imagine that having Aspergers just makes things even more difficult to figure out social cues.

This is a good place to ask questions and try to figure things out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
(09-07-2012 05:32 AM)Daftheed Wrote:  As a sufferer of Aspergeres syndrome, i have great difficulty in understanding society and social life. Things like social cues, the right things to saw at the right times, unwritten rules in regard to politeness and general interaction and Interests that differ greatly from the societal norm. I struggled with all of these, and it has caused dips in mood on several occasions. My question is: Is this normal? I am 16 years old.

Yes, it is normal. I'm almost 50 yo, don't have Asperger's, and although I don't have difficulty understanding social cues, I just can't seem to give enough of a shit to bring myself to notice them. But it's not so depressing as it is amusing. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Yes it is normal. Every teenager has problems finding out social rules and norms and finding their place in society. I can only imagine how much more difficult it is with aspergers, so feel free to ask any questions. Especially if you don't understand certain reactions it might be helpful to just ask what happened, even in the situation it might help to ask - at least when you are with people who know that you have this kind of "disability". If not, ask your parents, or ask here Smile

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Do you ever watch the big bang theory? You'll find you can identify...

I agree, ask away if you run into situations you don't get.

All teenagers have issues with that, aspergers aggravates it. It is worth your time to try and grasp as many of these situations as you can, they will crop up for the rest of your life and it will be a big help to have a bunch of them analysed.

Taking notes of any that confound you is good to do, and then asking someone you trust, or ask here. There is a logic in it, and it is repetative, so in time you'll be able to categorize a lot of situations.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
(10-07-2012 09:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  Do you ever watch the big bang theory? You'll find you can identify...

I agree, ask away if you run into situations you don't get.

All teenagers have issues with that, aspergers aggravates it. It is worth your time to try and grasp as many of these situations as you can, they will crop up for the rest of your life and it will be a big help to have a bunch of them analysed.

Taking notes of any that confound you is good to do, and then asking someone you trust, or ask here. There is a logic in it, and it is repetative, so in time you'll be able to categorize a lot of situations.

Thanks for your kind assistance offers. Any strange occurences i shall post on this thread. And do i watch the big bang theory? Of course! I could tell instantly that Sheldon had Aspergers characteristics, though they are somewhat exaggerated. But things like the interest in trains was a tell tale sign

Away from that, it's mainly around the opposite sex i have trouble. I dont want to have a relationship with anyone, i just want to make a relatively good friends to females, but i struggle.
[+] 1 user Likes Daftheed's post
10-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your kind assistance offers. Any strange occurences i shall post on this thread. And do i watch the big bang theory? Of course! I could tell instantly that Sheldon had Aspergers characteristics, though they are somewhat exaggerated. But things like the interest in trains was a tell tale sign

Away from that, it's mainly around the opposite sex i have trouble. I dont want to have a relationship with anyone, i just want to make a relatively good friends to females, but i struggle.

[/quote]

[/quote]
10-07-2012, 02:16 PM
draftheed: Females are weird and difficult to understand! (Said by a biological female)

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
10-07-2012, 03:07 PM
(10-07-2012 12:03 PM)Daftheed Wrote:  Thanks for your kind assistance offers. Any strange occurences i shall post on this thread. And do i watch the big bang theory? Of course! I could tell instantly that Sheldon had Aspergers characteristics, though they are somewhat exaggerated. But things like the interest in trains was a tell tale sign

Some politically correct people think they are very 'normal'..... whatever that is?

I taught a young Asperger's girl some years ago and she was very nice and witty. Unfortunately when I needed to change my time table she became very upset, as some people with this illness become very inflexible in some areas.
Good luck and don't worry too much about societal norms. Thumbsup
10-07-2012, 03:44 PM
(10-07-2012 03:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 12:03 PM)Daftheed Wrote:  Thanks for your kind assistance offers. Any strange occurences i shall post on this thread. And do i watch the big bang theory? Of course! I could tell instantly that Sheldon had Aspergers characteristics, though they are somewhat exaggerated. But things like the interest in trains was a tell tale sign

Some politically correct people think they are very 'normal'..... whatever that is?

I taught a young Asperger's girl some years ago and she was very nice and witty. Unfortunately when I needed to change my time table she became very upset, as some people with this illness become very inflexible in some areas.
Good luck and don't worry too much about societal norms. Thumbsup
Lol, check out my post in the Philosophy section for the description of the word "normal" when it comes to society.

As for the OP, when I saw the title of this, I assumed that we were going to talk about how the current state of society makes you depressed, which I can completely understand. xD

(09-07-2012 05:32 AM)Daftheed Wrote:  As a sufferer of Aspergeres syndrome, i have great difficulty in understanding society and social life. Things like social cues, the right things to saw at the right times, unwritten rules in regard to politeness and general interaction and Interests that differ greatly from the societal norm. I struggled with all of these, and it has caused dips in mood on several occasions. My question is: Is this normal? I am 16 years old.

I am two years older than you, and while I don't have Asperger's, I am a teenager. I know how you feel. :/

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post