Sociopaths a product of evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: Sociopaths a product of evolution?
Did I misread something? Did you say sociopathy cannot result from environment? That's not true. Brain trauma has shown to cause it. Also, I'm pretty sure some children who experienced a traumatic event like witnessing their parents brutally murdered had it triggered. I would consider that a type of brain trauma too though since children's brains aren't fully physically developed yet.

I've thought about this subject quite a bit. In my opinion, sociopaths were necessary in early human history. Our species has warred many times over. Who are the perfect people for killing? Psychopaths. In those days, they were probably able to function perfectly normal. They got their thirst quenched for manipulating and killing. Serial killers in those days? Heroes (for whomever they fought for). They thrived in those days and my best guess is that the top soldiers were sociopaths.

Why might we have so many walking around today? Because of our ever increasing life expectancy. We have effectively stopped evolution in the human race. We prevent nature from killing us other than through calamities. This on top of the fact that our morals have evolved. We don't go around killing off people with disorders like sociopathy just because they aren't normal.

And wow JefferyM... your account is chilling. Remind me to never include you in the list of TTA members I want to meet lol.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2013, 11:33 AM
A whole species of sociopaths cannot be an ESS (evolutionary stable strategy) for a social species like humanity, but I'd imagine that a low percentage of sociopaths (on the order of a few percent) would be stable....so it's not really a surprise that they exist, but I doubt that we will ever become a race of purely sociopaths.

18-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I didn't read the whole thing, because that would make me late for an eye appt, but:

Quote:The Vulcan species/culture comes to mind.
I hate to be that guy, but the Vulcan culture emphasizes suppressing/not displaying emotion, which is quite different from not having emotions but outwardly mimicking them.
[/nerdiness]

Quote:Is the absence of emotion (love, etc.) a form of natural selection?
Not the only defining characteristic. I lack emotions because I have schizoid personality disorder (and am unable to mimic them, possibly due to being somewhat on the autism spectrum) but I am not a psychopath. Probably true of many other people as well.

Additionally, narcissists aren't necessarily dangerous, unless you are only talking about malignant narcissists.

Anyway, what I mean is that people with personality disorders are only dangerous is they lack a conscience and empathy, not if they are narcissistic and lack emotions.

Some PDs have been correlated with certain childhood experiences, but I don't think they can say for sure. As for serving an evolutionary purpose, I doubt it. Why can't it just count as being abnormal? What benefit could that cause, unless it's a serial killer cutting down on overpopulation (and I doubt most serial killers have much impact on that, excluding people who commit genocide). I don't know about psychopathy much, but I know that apparently having relatives with schizophrenia increases your chances of having SPD (which is not remotely the same thing, no hallucinations or delusions, etc.) so I wouldn't rule out a genetic component to other PDs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2013, 11:49 AM
(18-07-2013 11:46 AM)amyb Wrote:  I didn't read the whole thing, because that would make me late for an eye appt, but:

Quote:The Vulcan species/culture comes to mind.
I hate to be that guy, but the Vulcan culture emphasizes suppressing/not displaying emotion, which is quite different from not having emotions but outwardly mimicking them.
[/nerdiness]

Quote:Is the absence of emotion (love, etc.) a form of natural selection?
Not the only defining characteristic. I lack emotions because I have schizoid personality disorder (and am unable to mimic them, possibly due to being somewhat on the autism spectrum) but I am not a psychopath. Probably true of many other people as well.

Additionally, narcissists aren't necessarily dangerous, unless you are only talking about malignant narcissists.

Anyway, what I mean is that people with personality disorders are only dangerous is they lack a conscience and empathy, not if they are narcissistic and lack emotions.

Some PDs have been correlated with certain childhood experiences, but I don't think they can say for sure. As for serving an evolutionary purpose, I doubt it. Why can't it just count as being abnormal? What benefit could that cause, unless it's a serial killer cutting down on overpopulation (and I doubt most serial killers have much impact on that, excluding people who commit genocide). I don't know about psychopathy much, but I know that apparently having relatives with schizophrenia increases your chances of having SPD (which is not remotely the same thing, no hallucinations or delusions, etc.) so I wouldn't rule out a genetic component to other PDs.

I addressed what purpose having some MIGHT have at least in the old days. Maybe good for a small percentage these days too considering we still war with one another.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
18-07-2013, 12:37 PM
(18-07-2013 06:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 04:09 AM)JefferyM. Wrote:  When I was 11 years old I tried to kill myself, and can you guess why?
I wanted to meet God, as simple as that.

I suggest it's time for you to again try to meet God. I wish you great success. Drinking Beverage

Lolz. Makes me kinda wanna go Dexter on his ass.

living word
18-07-2013, 02:18 PM
(18-07-2013 12:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 06:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  I suggest it's time for you to again try to meet God. I wish you great success. Drinking Beverage

Lolz. Makes me kinda wanna go Dexter on his ass.

Keep your moral detriment to yourself, please. Drinking Beverage

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
18-07-2013, 05:29 PM
(18-07-2013 02:18 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 12:37 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Lolz. Makes me kinda wanna go Dexter on his ass.

Keep your moral detriment to yourself, please. Drinking Beverage

Little late for that, dontcha think?

living word
18-07-2013, 05:31 PM
(18-07-2013 05:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 02:18 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Keep your moral detriment to yourself, please. Drinking Beverage

Little late for that, dontcha think?

It's never too late. Drinking Beverage

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
18-07-2013, 06:03 PM
(18-07-2013 04:09 AM)JefferyM. Wrote:  A normal sociopath would be destroyed over a lost pet. But the ones that are more intelligent, will either dismiss you as a worthless disappointment, or they will use your family and friends, associates until you've suffered whatever punishment they feel you've earned.

This will change as you grow old. Replacements will be harder to come by. You will have a very hard time learning that "pets" are of value. An old sociopath is a sorry creature.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-07-2013, 08:26 PM
(18-07-2013 05:31 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 05:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Little late for that, dontcha think?

It's never too late. Drinking Beverage

Definitely too late to be at the DC 3 in 1980. Undecided

living word