Sock puppets, and the banned. Is there a better way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Sock puppets, and the banned. Is there a better way?
Hello,

I'm sure you all are aware of the recent stalker/harasser that keeps sock puppeting on this site. The ban log is filling up, which is fun to watch at times, but overall it seems like unnecessary extra work for the forum team.

Is there a more permanent solution? Here are some that come to mind.

-Blocking the IP:
--Although, I think this is probably intentionally avoided because of the potential to block out somebody who is not the offender, but just inherits or shares the IP.
--Also, there are ways around it.
--One idea is to put a temporary IP block up for an unspecified amount of time, and hopefully in that time they would just give up.

-Blocking (blacklisting) the Email Address:
--Blocking a banned member's Email address from even having the ability to create a new account. (is this already done?)
--Of course they have the ability to make new Emails, but that at least causes more work for them if they really want to keep this up.

I don't fully know the process, so I'm just trying to think of solutions based on observation. I doubt any of this will actually be considered, but it's what I do. Ah well.

Other ideas??

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2014, 10:36 AM
RE: Sock puppets, and the banned. Is there a better way?
He has claimed that he has multiple IPs and emails, and apparently doesn't mind whatever work it takes to create more.
23-09-2014, 10:37 AM
(23-09-2014 10:32 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hello,

I'm sure you all are aware of the recent stalker/harasser that keeps sock puppeting on this site. The ban log is filling up, which is fun to watch at times, but overall it seems like unnecessary extra work for the forum team.

Is there a more permanent solution? Here are some that come to mind.

-Blocking the IP:
--Although, I think this is probably intentionally avoided because of the potential to block out somebody who is not the offender, but just inherits or shares the IP.
--Also, there are ways around it.
--One idea is to put a temporary IP block up for an unspecified amount of time, and hopefully in that time they would just give up.

-Blocking (blacklisting) the Email Address:
--Blocking a banned member's Email address from even having the ability to create a new account. (is this already done?)
--Of course they have the ability to make new Emails, but that at least causes more work for them if they really want to keep this up.

I don't fully know the process, so I'm just trying to think of solutions based on observation. I doubt any of this will actually be considered, but it's what I do. Ah well.

Other ideas??

As to the IP, we can't as he is on a mobile roaming IP which means doing an IP ban would block anyone using that network in that part of the country. The E-mail ban already exists.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-09-2014, 10:39 AM
There was an alternative that could have prevented this whole mess, but alas, it wasn't tested before giving him a perma ban. Dodgy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-09-2014, 10:40 AM
(23-09-2014 10:37 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  As to the IP, we can't as he is on a mobile roaming IP which means doing an IP ban would block anyone using that network in that part of the country. The E-mail ban already exists.
Ahh, I see. If only there was a way to inquire the age of the Email Address, and only allow people to sign up with Emails at least 1 week old. But that is almost definitely impossible.

23-09-2014, 10:41 AM
(23-09-2014 10:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There was an alternative that could have prevented this whole mess, but alas, it wasn't tested before giving him a perma ban. Dodgy

No there was not. Just because some people on the FT want to jump through ridiculous hoops for obvious forum cancers does not improve the situation.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-09-2014, 10:41 AM
(23-09-2014 10:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There was an alternative that could have prevented this whole mess, but alas, it wasn't tested before giving him a perma ban. Dodgy
Hmm, which was?

23-09-2014, 10:42 AM
The puppeteer will give up eventually. Just don't announce his socks or make threads that egg on his his disturbed nature. Just pretend he doesn't exist and in time he will vanish. Or just unban him, lol.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 3 users Like Elskidor's post
23-09-2014, 10:48 AM
(23-09-2014 10:41 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No there was not. Just because some people on the FT want to jump through ridiculous hoops for obvious forum cancers does not improve the situation.
Yes, there was, Revenant. You don't even know what I'm talking about.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Quote:Or just unban him

Get out.
[+] 8 users Like earmuffs's post