Sock puppets, and the banned. Is there a better way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2014 07:14 PM by TheGulegon.)
RE: Sock puppets, and the banned. Is there a better way?
Is it possible to locate the geographical region from which an IP address originates?
For a FT member, I mean.

If the next mobile IP the clown uses happens to originate in a state far away from the last, would we know it?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 08:42 PM
(27-09-2014 07:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Is it possible to locate the geographical region from which an IP address originates?
For a FT member, I mean.

If the next mobile IP the clown uses happens to originate in a state far away from the last, would we know it?

Well, any site traffic according to my understanding is recorded in a server log.

So, it's the matter of taking the IP of the person interacting with the shoutbox plugin (who is harassing) and putting it through a tracer, which would either show up the ISP's servers (helpful) or the dude's location (more helpful).

Besides returning stalking w/ stalking, the only sure way to find out who he is is to find out as much as you can that way, plus any other information you may glean from other forums with regards to stalking and his/her location, and file a big fat complaint.
[+] 2 users Like Li_Holodomer's post
28-09-2014, 05:24 AM
(27-09-2014 07:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Is it possible to locate the geographical region from which an IP address originates?
For a FT member, I mean.

It is not possible to precisely geolocate a mobile connection as it roams alot due to dynamic ip assignment. Nevertheless, matty is easy to spot due to the fact that he is not able to hide his 'personality' for long.
[+] 2 users Like LastPoet's post
28-09-2014, 10:06 AM
(28-09-2014 05:24 AM)LastPoet Wrote:  It is not possible to precisely geolocate a mobile connection as it roams alot due to dynamic ip assignment. Nevertheless, matty is easy to spot due to the fact that he is not able to hide his 'personality' for long.

Yes, a mobile may go through up to 80+ Ip assignments every 9 seconds. It can be done, but only if "authorities" are actively looking for someone ... or something... and only with a warrant ... so far. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-09-2014, 10:37 AM
It seems calm now.... Oh shit, I just jinxed it Gasp
[+] 2 users Like LastPoet's post
28-09-2014, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2014 03:11 PM by TheGulegon.)
(27-09-2014 08:42 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
For a FT member, I mean.

Well, any site traffic according to my understanding is recorded in a server log.

So, it's the matter of taking the IP of the person interacting with the shoutbox plugin (who is harassing) and putting it through a tracer, which would either show up the ISP's servers (helpful) or the dude's location (more helpful).

Besides returning stalking w/ stalking, the only sure way to find out who he is is to find out as much as you can that way, plus any other information you may glean from other forums with regards to stalking and his/her location, and file a big fat complaint.

Thanx Shy
I wasn't considering stalking a stalker Tongue I was more concerned with identifying whether he's actually moving great distances IRL, and notifying as many law enforcement agencies as possible of that lil tidbit of info as soon as the fact were to be discovered, if it was an easy thing thing to find out.
Guley only gets dead serious when he's worried about his friend's & acquaintance's safety! I have been called a worry wort, before, though Blush

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
28-09-2014, 04:05 PM
(28-09-2014 03:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 08:42 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Well, any site traffic according to my understanding is recorded in a server log.

Thanx Shy
I wasn't considering stalking a stalker Tongue I was more concerned with identifying whether he's actually moving great distances IRL, and notifying as many law enforcement agencies as possible of that lil tidbit of info as soon as the fact were to be discovered, if it was an easy thing thing to find out.
Guley only gets dead serious when he's worried about his friend's & acquaintance's safety! I have been called a worry wort, before, though Blush

I mean, yeah, but the victim needs to complain as per stalking law (idk about cyberstalking).
29-09-2014, 03:33 AM
And here I thought I missed out on all the forum's crises for this year. I don't really have much to offer in the way of a solution, but I am going to keep tabs on this.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
29-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Excuse my technological ignorance but is it possible to ban his device? The MAC address or whatever it is?

[Image: oscar.png]
30-09-2014, 04:49 AM
The MAC address won't be transmitted beyond the user's local network, eg beyond the home router or beyond the mobile network. The identifier between networks is the IP address, but these are allocated dynamically and aren't necessarily tied to the particular device.

It might be possible to seed a cookie or local storage into a given browser that could be used for this kind of tracking:
- Cookies: Return a Set-Cookie header and it will be handed back to the server with each request... until the user clears their cookies - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie
- Local storage: in javascript say localStorage.setItem("unique-id", someid) - http://codepen.io/awesom3/pen/Hlfma https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs...OM/Storage
Again this is something the user can clear.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.