Sock puppets, and the banned. Is there a better way?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: Sock puppets, and the banned. Is there a better way?
But I'd sure like to know.....

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2014, 10:51 AM
(23-09-2014 10:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  But I'd sure like to know.....
Talking about it in public defeats its purpose, but if you really want to know, I'll tell you what it is in a PM.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-09-2014, 10:56 AM
(23-09-2014 10:48 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 10:41 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No there was not. Just because some people on the FT want to jump through ridiculous hoops for obvious forum cancers does not improve the situation.
Yes, there was, Revenant. You don't even know what I'm talking about.

If you mean the shadow ban then yes I do know about it. Was a stupid idea from the start and would not have done anything but cause the same situation we have now.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-09-2014, 11:04 AM
(23-09-2014 10:51 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 10:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  But I'd sure like to know.....
Talking about it in public defeats its purpose, but if you really want to know, I'll tell you what it is in a PM.
I see. It's fine, I'd rather not be privy to any "secrets".

23-09-2014, 11:09 AM
(23-09-2014 10:56 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  If you mean the shadow ban then yes I do know about it. Was a stupid idea from the start and would not have done anything but cause the same situation we have now.
Just looked that up. Mixed feelings about it.

23-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Honestly what should have been done is not given him an opportunity to get established here. His whole coming here was stalking and therefore a rule 4 and 5 violation. The Admins not taking that seriously put a lot of people at risk and opened Seth up to a lawsuit. The potential for breach of trust was too high to give this kind of threat 18 strikes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 10 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-09-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm sure it's no picnic having to watch for idiot socks.
Ugh

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
23-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Really we should just make it so until your username is blue you can't post or use the shoutbox, then the sock man will just leave cause he will be able to do nothing and get banned.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-09-2014, 12:09 PM
(23-09-2014 12:04 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Really we should just make it so until your username is blue you can't post or use the shoutbox, then the sock man will just leave cause he will be able to do nothing and get banned.
I was considering that, but didn't think the forum team would go for it. Nor do I think it's a real preventative solution. It just stalls.

Plus, I don't know if the sock puppets have even been posting, I haven't seen anything from them.

23-09-2014, 12:16 PM
(23-09-2014 10:32 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hello,

I'm sure you all are aware of the recent stalker/harasser that keeps sock puppeting on this site. The ban log is filling up, which is fun to watch at times, but overall it seems like unnecessary extra work for the forum team.

Is there a more permanent solution? Here are some that come to mind.

-Blocking the IP:
--Although, I think this is probably intentionally avoided because of the potential to block out somebody who is not the offender, but just inherits or shares the IP.
--Also, there are ways around it.
--One idea is to put a temporary IP block up for an unspecified amount of time, and hopefully in that time they would just give up.

-Blocking (blacklisting) the Email Address:
--Blocking a banned member's Email address from even having the ability to create a new account. (is this already done?)
--Of course they have the ability to make new Emails, but that at least causes more work for them if they really want to keep this up.

I don't fully know the process, so I'm just trying to think of solutions based on observation. I doubt any of this will actually be considered, but it's what I do. Ah well.

Other ideas??

When a user is banned their ip and email are blocked. They cannot sign up using either.

The recent issue is the one who will not be named is using a mobile device. So the ip roams. We cannot simply block all IP's because then anyone his same mobile company (and it's a biggie) would be caught up. He uses a different email each time.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces