Poll: What do you call Soft Drinks/Carbonated Beverages?
Soda
Pop
Coke
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Soda, Pop, Coke, or ... ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2012, 01:56 PM
RE: Soda, Pop, Coke, or ... ?
I've grown up in the midwest always calling it Pop and continue to do it. I had an ex gf from New England that shuttered everytime I used the word pop and said it sounded gross.

I do have another funny story on the oddity of the term pop though. My sister dated a guy who grew up in Hawaii and California as a kid. In college he went to school in Idaho. He told us one day he was changing room after playing some sports and a guy came up and asked him, "Do you want to go and get a pop with the guys." He had no idea what the guy meant meant and was a quite distraught until it was explained to him that pop=soda. It really does sound weird.. but the carbonation pops!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I call them by their brand names... but, if I am referring to a whole bunch of them then I just say soft drinks.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
19-10-2012, 01:50 AM
I was born and raised, till I was 20 in 1975, in California, USA. Most of the people I came across in Calif., called all soft drinks "Coke"; "Want a coke? Yeah. What kind?"

After I was 20, I moved south. Everyone I came across here called all soft drinks, soda: "Wanna soda? Yep! What kind?"

Over time and still in the south, I now usually hear people specify: "Wanna drink? Yeah, make it a . . . ".

In the south, I have heard people calla soft drink a "soda water".
[+] 1 user Likes depat's post
19-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Well in southern Germany, where I am originally from, we would say "Limonade" (lemonade) and specify which: Orangenlimonade (orange lemonade), Zitronenlimonade (lemon lemonade). For Coke as in CocaCola or Pepsi or AfriCola, or whatnot, we would simply say "Cola".
So when I moved to northern Germany for a while, it was weird because they seem to always use the brand. Fanta, Sprite, Cola. And when I moved in with my hun and we only spoke English, I adapted my southern way into English which result in some weird looks and some explanations Big Grin but in Romania they also say "Cola" for the above mentioned brands.
Then when I ordered my first "Cola" in Ireland the waiter gave me the weirdest look, and my friend had to tell me that it's "Coke" around there. So at least in the Dublin area I know that most people will tell you what exactly they want. Fanta, Sprite, Coke. Have heard the word "soda" a few times there but not a lot.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2012, 10:45 AM
This isn't real common anymore, it could sometimes be heard by the old-timers when I was just a young-un. My grandmas generation (would be at least late 80's, 90's in age now), and those before here usually called them "dopes". Sometimes you would hear "soda water" or "sodey-water" This is up in the Appalachian Mountains, so we talk much differently than everyone else.

The documentary "Mountain Talk" captures some of our speech (including dopes), however it isn't terribly great and in my opinion still re-enforces negative stereotypes about us Hillbillys. Anyway, thought someone might enjoy that.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
19-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Everywhere I have been in my country (UK) it is called "pop"

Whilst we are on the subject does anybody own those evil fucking machines known as "soda streams"???

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhVMS-pp7xYAv-kvjGBve...MSa_zhLSWQ]

My family used to have one when I was a kid and I reckon terrorists could use them to blow shit up with.... they were lethal Confused

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
19-10-2012, 03:52 PM
I usually call it what it is.

I note that you left "Cola" off of the list. As in, Pepsi Cola, Coca Cola, Shasta Cola. Oh, yeah, because they're colas.

When I go to the store, I buy Coke Zero. Or Pepsi Max. Or Mountain Dew. I call it what it is. I don't call them by nicknames. I suppose if I did, I might prefer "soda pop" but that might just be a regional thing; I hear it more so I might use it.

In a restaurant, I ask if they serve Coke or Pepsi products but I don't know why - either way I order a diet version of what they have, so lately I've come to just ask for Coke Zero, my favorite, and let the server tell me if they don't have it and then tell me what they have instead.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
19-10-2012, 04:30 PM
(19-10-2012 03:42 PM)bemore Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhVMS-pp7xYAv-kvjGBve...MSa_zhLSWQ]

My family used to have one when I was a kid and I reckon terrorists could use them to blow shit up with.... they were lethal Confused
I used to have a SodaMax which is basically the same thing. When I moved from south to north Germany an accident happened involving that the gasbottle. My stove was old (came with the apartment and was rented with it which is not a common thing in Germany), it was in fact so old that the buttons would turn nearly without you touching, no resistance. So someone must have turned the stove on while carrying a box. The stove got hot, the gasbottle was on top, it exploded and set the kitchen on fire.
Evil things. I want one again.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
19-10-2012, 06:09 PM
I grew up in New Jersey and always called it "soda." In 1998 when I visited family in rural Indiana, I sure gave my grandma an odd look when she asked, "do you want a red pop?"

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
19-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Midwest (Ohio): Pop
South (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida): Coke
East coast (Maryland, Virginia, DC): Soda
West coast (SoCal): Anything goes...

That's my experience, in the places I've lived.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.