Sodom and Gomorrah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Sodom and Gomorrah
Is there any historicity to the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? Is there any archeological evidence?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2012, 04:47 PM
RE: Sodom and Gomorrah
I think its called Las Vegas now.

Joking aside the only thing I know about it is that it is disputed. Even the exact location isnt specifically known. I think worse happens in Catholic churches than ever happened in these mythical cities.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
17-05-2012, 05:35 PM
There's no archaeological evidence, but that could simply mean it hasn't been found yet. The location isn't exactly clear. But what would archaeology tell us that's of any use? Even if we found a large city that had been incinerated, it wouldn't prove causation (because fire is a real thing, too). And if we found it and it wasn't burnt, we'd have no way of knowing if it was Sodom (because there's no other historical documentation about it) and so we wouldn't label it Sodom. So archaeology is unlikely to confirm or deny what the bible says on this.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
17-05-2012, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 10:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Yes and no

There is no agreement among archaeologists on which of the various candidates they've found of settlements along the Southwest shore of the Dead Sea, in Southern Canaan, on the Jordan River plain, that might be either one of the two settlements, used as the location for the myth in Genesis, (and it WAS a myth). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bab_edh-Dhra Bab Edh-Drah, is thought by some to be Sodom. It's like the search for Noah's Ark. It misses the point.

The archaeological evidence is not the interesting part. The myth of the "raining of fire and brimstone" was probably taken from a well known Sumerian, (or "Accadian", (Akkadian),/Assyrian-Babylonian myth), written in Cuneiform, which served as their creation myth. Part of that was the "raining" of fire and brimstone, and was written during the Akkadian Empire period, (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akkadian_Empire (--2330 BCE). There actually are large Brimstone, (Sulfur) and Lyme deposits in the area. They stink to high heaven.

Anyhow...so the myth most likely got imported/appropriated by the editors of of Genesis, when they were creating the National Story, and they used a common conventional myth from the time to make their point about hospitality, or rather IN-hospitality. The myth of Lot, in Genesis 19, about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, follows upon the story in Genesis 18 of Abraham, and his hospitality towards wandering strangers , (who turned out, in the myth, to be angels). So the ONLY way to understand Sodom and Gomorrah, is to keep it in context. It has NOTHING to do with sex. It all about the treatment of strangers, and stands as an example if IN-hospitality toward strangers, juxtaposed with the Abrahamic example of hospitality towards wandering strangers in the desert environment, which, of course could present a fatal danger.

I have to look for the name of the actual Akkadian myth they think was the earliest "fire and brimstone" myth. I can't recall it right now.

There's stuff about it here, one of my favorite places : http://sabbathrock.com/tablets.aspx

Also this series, has remarkable similarities in the myth. [/font]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-05-2012, 08:50 PM
(17-05-2012 04:19 PM)ThePolymath Wrote:  Is there any historicity to the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? Is there any archeological evidence?
Nope, it's all myth. Ancient priests didn't give a rat's ass about recording history. The stories are allegories intended to teach life lessons and so forth. Anything historical that got recorded was purely by accident, or just stage setting for the allegory.

"History" as a proper discipline was invented by the Greeks and carried on by the Romans. It is significant that the only Jewish person in antiquity who actually cared about history was Josephus, and that was because he was heavily Hellenized, wrote and talked in Greek, and was influenced by Greco-Roman historians. His writings were not preserved by the Jews, who continued to write exclusively mystical mumbo-jumbo for another 1500 years.
18-05-2012, 09:44 PM
(18-05-2012 08:50 PM)Blood Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 04:19 PM)ThePolymath Wrote:  Is there any historicity to the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? Is there any archeological evidence?

Nope, it's all myth. Ancient priests didn't give a rat's ass about recording history. The stories are allegories intended to teach life lessons and so forth. Anything historical that got recorded was purely by accident, or just stage setting for the allegory.

"History" as a proper discipline was invented by the Greeks and carried on by the Romans. It is significant that the only Jewish person in antiquity who actually cared about history was Josephus, and that was because he was heavily Hellenized, wrote and talked in Greek, and was influenced by Greco-Roman historians. His writings were not preserved by the Jews, who continued to write exclusively mystical mumbo-jumbo for another 1500 years.

Agree. there is no word in Ancient Hebrew for "history". Unknown concept. Totally later human invention.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-05-2012, 09:48 PM
My understanding is there is no archeological of anything in the Bible until 1000 BCE and a vague reference to the "House of David."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Even if it was true would you want to follow that god? Seriously, raining fire and brimstone onto people is bad, but isnt sodom and gammorah where god turned lots wife to salt for looking back at the city?

I don't understand why christians are okay with genocide (literally) on a planet wide scale.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
19-05-2012, 06:27 AM
(19-05-2012 12:28 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  isnt sodom and gammorah where god turned lots wife to salt for looking back at the city?

It is. There are salt pillars in the area, in the Jordan Valley. Just part of the (preexisting) myth system.

19-05-2012, 06:34 AM
(19-05-2012 12:28 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  isnt sodom and gammorah where god turned lots wife to salt for looking back at the city?

It is. There are salt deposits which occur naturally in the area, in Jordan Valley.

Here she is. Or is this her "sisty ugler" ?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpR5tAg2-RMBSkJFEmmN5...6H0REnAfOV]

[Image: mlyn1191l.jpg]

[Image: gth0413l.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post