Solar Eclipse 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Solar Eclipse 2017
Anyone looking forward to the eclipse? I am going to pull my kids out of school and drive a couple of hours south so we can be in the area of total coverage. This is likely a once in a lifetime thing and I want them to see it.

[Image: nasa_eclipse_map.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2017, 11:14 AM
RE: Solar Eclipse 2017
Yup. We got hotel reservations 9 months ago in the line of darkness. We may have to go inland from the Oregon coast if there's some coastal clouds. We bought certified glasses to view it safely.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-07-2017, 11:18 AM
I've been planning for this event for 2-years and now it looks like I'm going to be in Kwajalein. Literally on the other side of the planet. I'm not a happy camper.

Hoping everyone else has great weather for the event.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
31-07-2017, 11:56 AM
(31-07-2017 11:14 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We bought certified glasses to view it safely.

There is not much of a danger if you dont look for longer times (more than a few seconds!), even with "quick and dirty" solutions. I have used CDs and foil of rescue blankets (those thin foils with ultrathin metal layers, used to cover victims of catastropies to keep them warm). Pile up 2 or 3cds or several layers of foil until its ok. Even better: use several layers of foil, and remove one by one until you see something.
Disclaimer: do this at your own risk tho!

What you addiitonally can do to make tings easier for you (and eliminate risk of damage to your eyes, especially during the very long occultation time from 0% to 90% (Sun will be very bright until almost 95% or so, dont be surprised) is making a pinhole camera. So you can avoid having to look directly into the sun all the time and checking for progress.

You can easily make this at home and test it. All you need is a box or tube of carboard, and thin white paper for the back (the "screen"). Just pick a small hole in the cardboard...done Big Grin the smaller the hole the sharper the image on your "screen". This way you can easily and constantly follow the occultation phase.
You can test at home by using a lightbulb (evening, living room, everybody has them Big Grin ) figuring out the right distance of your "screen" to the hole and then occulting the bulb. If you have kids, let them make it for you. They will love it too. Big Grin

We did this a few years ago during the partial eclipse over Europe. 20 engineers in a electronics lab poking holes into carboard and piling up at the windows, being happy like little kids. Laugh out load

[Image: 1200px-Pinhole-camera.svg.png]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
31-07-2017, 12:05 PM

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
31-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Oh well. I remember the last one anyway. And have fond memories of Daddy making us pinhole cameras to watch it.

http://www.wral.com/weather/video/16825345/

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
31-07-2017, 03:31 PM
We're two hours from the best view, Carbondale, Illinois. NASA is partying there on the 21st.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
31-07-2017, 03:44 PM
I'm conflicted. I have a friend who wants to drive down to the St. Louis area (we're in Madison, WI, so about a 6-hour drive each way) to see it, and we've talked about it a few times, but I'm not sure he's really thought it through. He doesn't have any specific place in mind or anything -- it's just kind of drive down there, hope we get there in time and it's not cloudy, hope we can find a place to stop when we get there, etc. It all seems rather haphazard and fly-by-night to me.

Also, we're going to have about a 90% eclipse right here in Madison. Obviously a total eclipse is better, but is the difference worth burning a vacation day (those are precious) and spending 12 hours driving back and forth (much of that probably in traffic jam conditions)? If it were totally up to me, I'm pretty sure I would just stay here, but I don't want my friend to be upset because I backed out at the last minute.
31-07-2017, 04:44 PM
(31-07-2017 10:46 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Anyone looking forward to the eclipse? I am going to pull my kids out of school and drive a couple of hours south so we can be in the area of total coverage. This is likely a once in a lifetime thing and I want them to see it.

[Image: nasa_eclipse_map.jpg]

20 years ago or so I experienced one and it cast a reflection on the windshield of my car. I took some fairly good photos of the windshield and they came out fine. My daughter still has the photos we were going over them last Thanksgiving.
31-07-2017, 04:47 PM
(31-07-2017 03:44 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm conflicted. I have a friend who wants to drive down to the St. Louis area (we're in Madison, WI, so about a 6-hour drive each way) to see it, and we've talked about it a few times, but I'm not sure he's really thought it through. He doesn't have any specific place in mind or anything -- it's just kind of drive down there, hope we get there in time and it's not cloudy, hope we can find a place to stop when we get there, etc. It all seems rather haphazard and fly-by-night to me.

Also, we're going to have about a 90% eclipse right here in Madison. Obviously a total eclipse is better, but is the difference worth burning a vacation day (those are precious) and spending 12 hours driving back and forth (much of that probably in traffic jam conditions)? If it were totally up to me, I'm pretty sure I would just stay here, but I don't want my friend to be upset because I backed out at the last minute.

It is like anything. I have a friend who thought it was worth it to drive 4 hours each direction, pay a day's wages for a ticket to see grown men kicking a pigskin around and then falling on the ground with their arms wrapped around each other. I wouldn't walk across the street to see it if it were free.
If someone thinks it is cool it is worth it. If it just bores the shit out of you beg off and hope he enjoys the trip.