Solar Eclipse 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2017, 04:53 PM
RE: Solar Eclipse 2017
You walk in front of a lamp one time..... oh nvm this is something different Tongue I will probably be working.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
31-07-2017, 04:55 PM
(31-07-2017 03:44 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm conflicted. I have a friend who wants to drive down to the St. Louis area (we're in Madison, WI, so about a 6-hour drive each way) to see it, and we've talked about it a few times, but I'm not sure he's really thought it through. He doesn't have any specific place in mind or anything -- it's just kind of drive down there, hope we get there in time and it's not cloudy, hope we can find a place to stop when we get there, etc. It all seems rather haphazard and fly-by-night to me.

Also, we're going to have about a 90% eclipse right here in Madison. Obviously a total eclipse is better, but is the difference worth burning a vacation day (those are precious) and spending 12 hours driving back and forth (much of that probably in traffic jam conditions)? If it were totally up to me, I'm pretty sure I would just stay here, but I don't want my friend to be upset because I backed out at the last minute.

I live in St. Louis, if you can't find something to do here you're dead.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2017, 05:45 PM
I got up in the wee hours of a winter morning some years ago to see the red moon. THAT was cool. We have also been known to go a few miles out of town, climb the fence into the cow pasture and watch meteor showers. Driving hours to get a better view of an eclipse is not on my bucket list. But if someone could PLEASE guarantee me that I'd see the aurora borealis if I spent the money to do the traveling, that I would go for.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
31-07-2017, 09:01 PM
(31-07-2017 03:31 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  We're two hours from the best view, Carbondale, Illinois. NASA is partying there on the 21st.

Carbondale is where I'll be. Coming in the day before. I've arranged a place to crash overnight, although I really wonder if any of us are going to get all that much sleep...

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
01-08-2017, 08:04 AM
(31-07-2017 04:55 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 03:44 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm conflicted. I have a friend who wants to drive down to the St. Louis area (we're in Madison, WI, so about a 6-hour drive each way) to see it, and we've talked about it a few times, but I'm not sure he's really thought it through. He doesn't have any specific place in mind or anything -- it's just kind of drive down there, hope we get there in time and it's not cloudy, hope we can find a place to stop when we get there, etc. It all seems rather haphazard and fly-by-night to me.

Also, we're going to have about a 90% eclipse right here in Madison. Obviously a total eclipse is better, but is the difference worth burning a vacation day (those are precious) and spending 12 hours driving back and forth (much of that probably in traffic jam conditions)? If it were totally up to me, I'm pretty sure I would just stay here, but I don't want my friend to be upset because I backed out at the last minute.

I live in St. Louis, if you can't find something to do here you're dead.

The thing is, this is a one-day deal -- start the day in Madison and end the day in Madison -- and we'd be spending (at least) 12 hours of it driving. We wouldn't be in or near St. Louis long enough to "do" anything but watch the eclipse. So that's not really a factor. It wouldn't matter whether it's St. Louis (or Paris or London, for that matter) or the middle of nowhere. We'd only be going for the eclipse.
01-08-2017, 08:07 AM
(31-07-2017 04:47 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  

It is like anything. I have a friend who thought it was worth it to drive 4 hours each direction, pay a day's wages for a ticket to see grown men kicking a pigskin around and then falling on the ground with their arms wrapped around each other. I wouldn't walk across the street to see it if it were free.
If someone thinks it is cool it is worth it. If it just bores the shit out of you beg off and hope he enjoys the trip.

That's not the issue, though. For me, a total solar eclipse is definitely worth seeing -- not boring at all. The question is -- is the difference between 90% and total worth a vacation day and a 12-hour drive?
01-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Too far of a drive and I am pretty sad about it. Enjoy the view, everyone!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
01-08-2017, 09:00 AM
(31-07-2017 09:01 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 03:31 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  We're two hours from the best view, Carbondale, Illinois. NASA is partying there on the 21st.

Carbondale is where I'll be. Coming in the day before. I've arranged a place to crash overnight, although I really wonder if any of us are going to get all that much sleep...

If you don't like crowds check out Crab Orchard Lake due east of Carbondale. I hope to get a good angle to film "the darkness crossing the waters".
01-08-2017, 09:16 AM
(01-08-2017 08:07 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 04:47 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  It is like anything. I have a friend who thought it was worth it to drive 4 hours each direction, pay a day's wages for a ticket to see grown men kicking a pigskin around and then falling on the ground with their arms wrapped around each other. I wouldn't walk across the street to see it if it were free.
If someone thinks it is cool it is worth it. If it just bores the shit out of you beg off and hope he enjoys the trip.

That's not the issue, though. For me, a total solar eclipse is definitely worth seeing -- not boring at all. The question is -- is the difference between 90% and total worth a vacation day and a 12-hour drive?

My $0.02 is yes it is. I want my kids to see it as well. A friend of ours is going to to pull her two kids out of schools swell and they are coming with. I found a nice spot in Franklin TN which is a small town an hour north of Nashville. Should be awesome.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
01-08-2017, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 10:14 AM by Deesse23.)
(01-08-2017 08:07 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 04:47 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  It is like anything. I have a friend who thought it was worth it to drive 4 hours each direction, pay a day's wages for a ticket to see grown men kicking a pigskin around and then falling on the ground with their arms wrapped around each other. I wouldn't walk across the street to see it if it were free.

If you are prepared, 100%

I have seen the total one in 1999 and a partial one a few years ago. Its not even a contest.

Trust me Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse