Solar eclipse August 21, 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Solar eclipse August 21, 2017
Do any of you have plans for this eclipse? We have reservations to stay at a beach house on the coast of Oregon which will be in the direct path of the eclipse. Even now reservations are almost full in some of the areas that will get the full effect of the eclipse. If there happens to be coastal fog, something that happens here on the Oregon coast, we have plans to drive inland. I think it's going to be fun. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-09-2016, 12:23 PM
RE: Solar eclipse August 21, 2017
I've never really seen the point....

If you want it darker during the day - try sunglasses....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
06-09-2016, 12:28 PM
It isn't about the darkness. It's about seeing that gorgeous corona around the sun. I've never seen a shade of blue like that anywhere else.

Currently making plans to fly down to somewhere in the totality zone but haven't chosen a destination yet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
I've got 6 rooms reserved in Andrews, NC. It's in the Smoky Mountains. Lots of nice motorcycle riding in the area. The hotel only requires 24 hour advance cancellation for 100% refund so if the weather doesn't look good we'll probably try someplace north of Nashville over towards Paducah.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
06-09-2016, 12:43 PM
(06-09-2016 12:31 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I've got 6 rooms reserved in Andrews, NC. It's in the Smoky Mountains. Lots of nice motorcycle riding in the area. The hotel only requires 24 hour advance cancellation for 100% refund so if the weather doesn't look good we'll probably try someplace north of Nashville over towards Paducah.

My husband's family lives in South Carolina, in Columbia in fact. The solar eclipse will hit the Oregon coast and travel across the US and end in South Carolina going right through Columbia, so our family on both costs are in it's path.

Gasp. Gasp it must be a sign! Like,oooooooooooooOOOOOoooo00000....it's a sign from god ain't it.

Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-09-2016, 12:49 PM
There is a great interactive map of the eclipse here.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/sol...pFull.html

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
06-09-2016, 12:50 PM
(06-09-2016 12:28 PM)Astreja Wrote:  It isn't about the darkness. It's about seeing that gorgeous corona around the sun. I've never seen a shade of blue like that anywhere else.

Currently making plans to fly down to somewhere in the totality zone but haven't chosen a destination yet.

By the shade of blue, do you mean the color of the sky in general... the sky area far outside of the solar eclipse?

06-09-2016, 12:54 PM
(06-09-2016 12:49 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  There is a great interactive map of the eclipse here.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/sol...pFull.html

Great, thanks! We have reservations in Depoe Bay, Oregon, almost under the center of the path.

06-09-2016, 01:00 PM
hey that sounds like fun! I would probably plan on camping in eastern Oregon, virtually no chance of cloudiness. We don't need much of an excuse for an adventure. Smile
06-09-2016, 07:58 PM
(06-09-2016 11:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Do any of you have plans for this eclipse? We have reservations to stay at a beach house on the coast of Oregon which will be in the direct path of the eclipse. Even now reservations are almost full in some of the areas that will get the full effect of the eclipse. If there happens to be coastal fog, something that happens here on the Oregon coast, we have plans to drive inland. I think it's going to be fun. Thumbsup

I didn't but I might have to make some. Thanks for the heads up!

If you try to drive inland you may find yourself in a traffic jam. I expect you won't be the only people trying to get out from under the fog. If you want to plan in advance check and see if there's room on any of the boats headed off the west coast. A few miles off shore ought to do the trick for fog. Otherwise I'd go with a peak somewhere arid. Looks like it'll pass right over the Grand Tetons and that'd me my bet for a good spot. I'd probably pick a spot under a thunderstorm though and be struck by lightning. At least I'd have my own corona then!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.