Solar eclipse August 21, 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2016, 09:14 AM
RE: Solar eclipse August 21, 2017
(07-09-2016 08:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 06:51 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Do you may still have some old floppy disks around? 2 or 3 layers of the disc-material is enough. Oh, and you wont be looking like a silly welder out there Tongue
These "floppy disks" you speak of ... Consider

And nobody says shit to me about what I look like.

Welders are seriously powerful looking people. I've always thought there should be a superhero called "Welderman"! LOL.

[Image: welder.jpg]

Dang it! I just derailed my own thread.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-09-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm gonna make a hike out of it. I'll be watching from the Selenean summit.

'Murican Canadian
07-09-2016, 09:42 AM
(07-09-2016 09:27 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm gonna make a hike out of it. I'll be watching from the Selenean summit.

At 20 miles a day I'm thinking you should have started your hike about 32 years ago...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
07-09-2016, 11:06 AM
We ain't gonna see it Downunder...

[Image: USAtopten_1500px.jpg?format=1500w]

Sleepy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-09-2016, 09:52 PM
(07-09-2016 06:48 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I'm right under the point of maximum solar occlusion. Gotta get a welders mask and a number fourteen filter. Tongue

I still have the piece of #14 glass that I bought for the February 26, 1979 eclipse. In fact, it's sitting about 3 feet away on the paper tray of My printer, with some clarinet reeds on it. (It makes a nice, flat surface for doing reed adjustments, which involves planing off tiny amounts of material with a scraping tool.)

Never bothered with a mask, though. I've used the glass to view partial eclipses, just by holding it up to the sun and peering through it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2016, 09:59 PM
(06-09-2016 12:28 PM)Astreja Wrote:  It isn't about the darkness. It's about seeing that gorgeous corona around the sun. I've never seen a shade of blue like that anywhere else.

(06-09-2016 12:50 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  By the shade of blue, do you mean the color of the sky in general... the sky area far outside of the solar eclipse?

No, it's the area immediately around the fully-eclipsed sun. (The sky is black, or near as darnit.) Photographs capture only a hint of what it looks like when you view it directly during the totality phase. The best way I can describe it is that it's a super-saturated version of peacock blue that glows.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
09-09-2016, 09:26 AM
I have friends with a lake house in SC near the center line. Earlier this summer I invited my family down. They had no idea it was going on. I bought eclipse glasses on Amazon. Now to research filters for my wife's nikon.

Thanks for the tip about elevation.

EDIT: bonus for me is that I'll be able to buy a shit ton of fireworks to bring home.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley