Solomon - 1000 wives, 300 concubines

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Solomon - 1000 wives, 300 concubines
Regardless of whether Solomon ever existed as a historical person, would it even be historically plausible that a king of a small nation like Israel to have this many wives? I know kings would often marry daughters of other kingdoms, but that would be a LOT of other kingdoms. Were there any kings that had this many wives in antiquity? With this many wives vs concubines, it makes me wonder what the hell the difference is between a wife and concubine in that story.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2014, 07:43 AM
RE: Solomon - 1000 wives, 300 concubines
(22-11-2014 07:28 AM)Learner Wrote:  Regardless of whether Solomon ever existed as a historical person, would it even be historically plausible that a king of a small nation like Israel to have this many wives? I know kings would often marry daughters of other kingdoms, but that would be a LOT of other kingdoms. Were there any kings that had this many wives in antiquity? With this many wives vs concubines, it makes me wonder what the hell the difference is between a wife and concubine in that story.

It's myth, not history.
[+] 2 users Like Machias's post
22-11-2014, 07:54 AM
(22-11-2014 07:43 AM)Machias Wrote:  
(22-11-2014 07:28 AM)Learner Wrote:  Regardless of whether Solomon ever existed as a historical person, would it even be historically plausible that a king of a small nation like Israel to have this many wives? I know kings would often marry daughters of other kingdoms, but that would be a LOT of other kingdoms. Were there any kings that had this many wives in antiquity? With this many wives vs concubines, it makes me wonder what the hell the difference is between a wife and concubine in that story.

It's myth, not history.

That is why I said "REGARDLESS" at the beginning.
22-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Woooo-hoooo for "Biblical marriage". Thumbsup
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-11-2014, 08:04 AM
(22-11-2014 08:01 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Woooo-hoooo for "Biblical marriage". Thumbsup
Weeping

I know!! Haha. There's absolutely nowhere in the Bible that says polygamy is wrong.
22-11-2014, 09:55 AM
I could imagine some leader declaring that every woman in the city will be my wife or concubine and then as he visits one, he rates them as being in one category or the other. Each category would have its perks and down sides.

Or after a large war in which most all of the men on both sides were killed, there were lots of women in a city without husbands, so Mr Solomon aka solo man, comes along and says he will be a husband to all of them. All his riches and land are now shared with all.

You can make up all kinds of stories like this.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
22-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 7 users Like Minimalist's post
22-11-2014, 07:58 PM
(22-11-2014 07:54 AM)Learner Wrote:  
(22-11-2014 07:43 AM)Machias Wrote:  It's myth, not history.

That is why I said "REGARDLESS" at the beginning.
That is on story from the Bible I don't believe, as written, but I firmly believe the bible was written with a multitude of parrables. such as the six days of creation wherein day in this case was age, era, maybe even millions of years. by the same token 100 could actually mean many (which would be believable. the 1000 being written to make him seem more important. further, could you really believe he could service 1000 women, let alone the additional 300?

"I don't Debate, I Discuss" I offer my opinions, and listen to yours, I will not require proof of opinions, but I may ask for clarification or state that I reject your position and why, & if asked, I will further clarify mine --- However, I reject any requirement that I PROVE my position is accurate and proper.
22-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I read somewhere that the human mind can only handle having a relationship with about 200 people at one time max (and in this case relationship is defined as a friend, close family member, girlfriend, wife, acquaintance, co worker etc...) so a human would not even have the mental capacity to handle a relationship with that many women, let alone maintain status as king with that all the diplomatic relationships that type of job would entail. And even if that many women is just for a sex thing, I honestly don't even see how he could keep track of which ones he has and has not fucked and he very likely would die before he honestly got sexually bored with the first 100.
22-11-2014, 08:22 PM
(22-11-2014 11:31 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  

I do love me some Betty B.
I can make my older brother cry laughing by player her. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.