[Solved]Research Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 10:44 PM
RE: Research Help...
(25-02-2014 09:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Your Google skills suck ass.
(25-02-2014 09:34 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Your google skills suck btw.

Thanks assholes. First time I've asked for help researching (at least LV actually helped). I was under the impression that they were some sort of studies/experiments/scientific papers/etc. Didn't even think to research books. The only author I recognize (now) is Harris, the rest I've never heard of - or are unfamiliar with (until now).
But seriously Girly, try to be less of a dick when people actually want to learn something. I'm not one of the trolls, a little respect goes a long way.

(25-02-2014 09:52 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Do me a favour ,will ya ryan? If you find a free ebook version of any of these books,hit me a PM with the link please

No problem, I normally go for PDFs, you ok with those? Or you want specifically eBooks? (Yes I will be adding these to my "to download/read list")

My online library: All PDFs, PM me if you want any
A Manual for Creating Atheists - Peter Boghossian
Atheism; A Very Short Intro - Julian Baggini
Atheism; The Case Against God - George H. Smith
Atheist Universe - David Mills
Breaking The Spell - Daniel C. Dennett
God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens
Letters to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
Mortality - Christopher Hitchens
The End of Faith - Sam Harris
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
The Secular Bible - Jacques Berlinerblau
Why I am Not a Christian - Bertrand Russell
My upcoming (?) additions: I will *eventually* look for these
Michael Shermer "How We Believe: A Search for God in an Age of Science"
Jerry Coyne "Why Evolution Is True"
John W. Loftus "Why I Became An Atheist" and "The Outsider Test for Faith"
Victor Stenger "God: The Failed Hypothesis" and "God and the Atom"
Richard Carrier "Sense and Goodness Without God"
Steven Brutus "Religion, Culture, History"
Guy P. Harrison "50 Simple Questions for Every Christian" and "Race and Reality"
Al Stefanelli "A Voice of Reason in an Unreasonable World"
Darrell Ray "The God Virus" and "Sex and God"
Jake Far-Wharton "Letters to Christian Leaders" and "Hollow Be Thy Claims"
Kevin Boileau "Essays on Phenomenology and the Self"
Russell Blackford "Freedom of Religion and the Secular State" and "50 Great Myths About Atheism"
Sam Harris "The End of Faith"
Stephen Law "Believing Bullshit"
Michael Shermer "The Believing Brain"
Victor Stenger "God and the Folly of Faith"
Lawrence Right "Going Clear"
Peter Boghossian "Jesus, the Easter Bunny and Other Delusions: Just Say No!" and "Faith: Pretending to Know Things You Don't Know"
James A. Lindsay "Defining Faith via Bayesian Reasoning"

(25-02-2014 09:11 PM)Drich Wrote:  Don't tug at those strings too hard brother you whole system of 'faith' I mean¬†evidence based belief,¬†will come tumbling down around you.

If it makes you feel any better I googled a couple different versions as well and could find anything either outside of various atheist on various forums who quoted your passage, and then I found the passage itself.. So your google skills don't suck that bad.

I have no idea what you mean in your first paragraph. Though, in all honesty, I want to keep this thread on track so I'll ignore it.
Secondly, I knew I wasn't the only one. I figured I was missing something. I never even thought about books since you normally have the title and author, not just the author's last name and (apparent) publication date.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
25-02-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: Research Help...
(25-02-2014 07:00 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So I'm reading along Mr. Boghossian's A Manual for Creating Atheists and I come across this passage:
Peter Boghossian Wrote:Faith is a failed epistemology. Showing why faith fails has been done before. And it has been done well (Bering, 2011; Harris, 2004; Loftus, 2010; Loftus, 2013; McCormick, 2012; Schick & Vaughn, 2008; Shermer, 1997; Shermer, 2011; Smith 1979; Stenger & Barker, 2012; Torres, 2012; Wade, 2009). There's no need to recapitulate this vast body of scholarship. Instead, I'll briefly explain what find to be one of the principle arguments against faith.

So I'm thinking to myself "Cool, let me google the hell out of this!"
Well, I can't find any information. I tried googling "Bering 2011", "Bering 2011 faith", "failed faith experiments", etc... Can't find shit. I can't be the only one, hell I came across two posts here (1, 2), one on AF, and another on DebatingChristianity that reference this exact passage, but no explanation nor outside links.

Any help or explanations would be great, thanks in advance.

IIRC those are Harvard-style citations. At the end of the book or at the end of each chapter there will be a references section with the names of the books and/or papers in full. Actually, let me check. They are at the end of the book.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2014, 10:53 PM
RE: [Solved]Research Help
(25-02-2014 10:50 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 07:00 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So I'm reading along Mr. Boghossian's A Manual for Creating Atheists and I come across this passage:

So I'm thinking to myself "Cool, let me google the hell out of this!"
Well, I can't find any information. I tried googling "Bering 2011", "Bering 2011 faith", "failed faith experiments", etc... Can't find shit. I can't be the only one, hell I came across two posts here (1, 2), one on AF, and another on DebatingChristianity that reference this exact passage, but no explanation nor outside links.

Any help or explanations would be great, thanks in advance.

IIRC those are Harvard-style citations. At the end of the book or at the end of each chapter there will be a references section with the names of the books and/or papers in full. Actually, let me check. They are at the end of the book.

I'm only about 47-sum odd pages in. Don't know Harvard citations, didn't learn that in my English class. All I know is MLA.
Thanks though, at least now I know what I'm looking at.

Atir aissom atir imon
25-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Yo ryan,PDFs are fine (its free,idc about the format lol)
i regonized harris,barker and shermer. You seriously didnt regonize michael shermer?

And yeah,i made the mistake thinking they were studies too

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
25-02-2014, 11:07 PM
(25-02-2014 10:53 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 10:50 PM)Chippy Wrote:  IIRC those are Harvard-style citations. At the end of the book or at the end of each chapter there will be a references section with the names of the books and/or papers in full. Actually, let me check. They are at the end of the book.

I'm only about 47-sum odd pages in. Don't know Harvard citations, didn't learn that in my English class. All I know is MLA.

Boghossian's in-text citations are Harvard-style and his reference list is in APA-style. Maybe it is his publisher's own peculiar standard. But in any event, the full citation will appear either at the end of the chapter or at the end of the book. In Boghossian's case they are all at the end of the book after the glossary.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2014, 11:11 PM
(25-02-2014 11:03 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Yo ryan,PDFs are fine (its free,idc about the format lol)
i regonized harris,barker and shermer. You seriously didnt regonize michael shermer?

And yeah,i made the mistake thinking they were studies too

No I didn't. Most these authors are new to me. I may have been an atheist for 6 years, but I was on my accord and for my own reasons. It's actually this forum that has introduced me to even the major authors (Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, etc...). I knew some of the names from YouTube and other media, but I was never big on books. So, all these authors and books I've learned about in the last two months.
(Don't even get me started on other atheist media I've mined on here. This site, is the first atheist media I ever knew existed. I had never even thought of an atheist forum until I saw a link under a podcast)

I'll upload them tomorrow and send you the links. I'll take them down after you get them.

Atir aissom atir imon
25-02-2014, 11:12 PM
(25-02-2014 11:07 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 10:53 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I'm only about 47-sum odd pages in. Don't know Harvard citations, didn't learn that in my English class. All I know is MLA.

Boghossian's in-text citations are Harvard-style and his reference list is in APA-style. Maybe it is his publisher's own peculiar standard. But in any event, the full citation will appear either at the end of the chapter or at the end of the book. In Boghossian's case they are all at the end of the book after the glossary.

Thanks chippy Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
25-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Yo,sunday would work better for me if that isnt too much trouble
my internet stops tomorow

25-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Also,i made a thread with google search tips,you might be interested in it

[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
25-02-2014, 11:34 PM
(25-02-2014 11:24 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Yo,sunday would work better for me if that isnt too much trouble
my internet stops tomorow

No problem here, though you may need to remind me. I'm notorious for forgetting shit.

(25-02-2014 11:25 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Also,i made a thread with google search tips,you might be interested in it

Yeah I saw, I didn't know the asterisk, "..." and cache one. Though, I think the cache one will be very useful.

Atir aissom atir imon