Some Questions From Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2018, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2018 12:46 PM by Hussein.)
Some Questions From Atheists
Hello everyone,

This is my second post here, the first one being an introduction.

I'd like to know your answer as an Atheist about a couple of questions. I'd be interested in the reasons behind your answers.

1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it? To be more clear, would you actively oppose religion and the idea of God if you find the right opportunity? Or you just don't care about it.

2. Would you marry a Theist?

3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

I'd appreciate your answers,
Peace be with you all
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hussein's post
20-02-2018, 12:48 PM
RE: Some Questions From Atheists
(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it?

Given the shit I see religion being up to (denying rights to women, opposing same sex marriages, deceiving people and then milking them for cash) I'm certainly anti-religion. As for god - I'm disgusted by biblical depiction of this undefined something.

Quote:2. Would you marry a Theist?

No. Too big difference in worldview to overlook.

Quote:3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

No. Why should I care for particular flavor of his indoctrination?

Quote:4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any conflict?

As long as theists don't push their taboos onto others and there is real separation between church and state.

Quote:5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

Knowledge maybe if I were to choose only one thing.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
20-02-2018, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2018 01:50 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  Hello everyone,

I'd like to know your answer as an Atheist about a couple of questions. I'd be interested in the reasons behind your answers.

1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it? To be more clear, would you actively oppose religion and the idea of God if you find the right opportunity? Or you just don't care about it.

3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

Peace be with you all

Szuchow answered all the questions pretty much how I would have.

I just want to add one more point: I wasted too much of my adult life trying to make sense of theism. That's the main reason I have little patience with theists and theistic assumptions these days.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
20-02-2018, 01:07 PM
(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it? To be more clear, would you actively oppose religion and the idea of God if you find the right opportunity? Or you just don't care about it.
I'm anti religion but respect people's choice to be religious if they want.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  2. Would you marry a Theist?
It would depend on how religious they are, if they are constantly trying to make me religious or if they would insist to indoctorine my children

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?
No. Not interested. I know they have no evidence to support their position.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?
Sure, yes.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.
Health and freedom. Sorry I know that's two, but I think both of these are really important. One without the other is no use.
20-02-2018, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2018 01:12 PM by Peebothuhul.)

HELLO! Big Grin

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it? To be more clear, would you actively oppose religion and the idea of God if you find the right opportunity? Or you just don't care about it.

I'm apathetic to the notion and haven't really seen anything to evidence ther are anything resembling 'Dietys' running aroumd in the world.

Sadly, the religous adjendas of most organized religions have me opposed to a lot of their inbuilt biases. Sad

Yes.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

I always take the folks I've had theis chats with seriously and am curtious in my replies. Smile

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

Yes.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

"Crush my enemies. See them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their women."

Laugh out load

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  I'd appreciate your answers,
Peace be with you all

Cheers! Thumbsup
20-02-2018, 01:25 PM

I'm indifferent until the religion starts getting pushed into law or my face.

Yes.

If it's some random stranger on the street, no. If it's a friend and we're just talking about our (lack of) belief, I will take him seriously, insofar as that is his or her truth and not being demanded of me to adopt as my own truth.

Yes. We do that all the time.

Life, love, and respect.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-02-2018, 01:29 PM

Peace be with you all

The absence of something (theism) doesn't define me in any way.
I can't answer any question "as an atheist".

I have a question for you, however.
As a self-identified Muslim, what is the mental algorhythm you use, when you decide to ignore (if you do) certain parts of your holy book that promote violence ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
20-02-2018, 01:46 PM

No need to capitalize atheist... it isn't a denomination. It is the result of applying skeptical thought to the claims for various gods. Atheism is a conclusion about one question, not a worldview.

Quote:1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it? To be more clear, would you actively oppose religion and the idea of God if you find the right opportunity? Or you just don't care about it.

There are several different questions in there. I am anti-religion when it comes to it being involved in government and basic education. What people believe in their own time is their own business and I won't ask that they say they do not believe in a god as long as they don't ask me to pray to theirs.

As far as being "anti-god", in the sense that the fictional portrayals are generally unworthy of respect, let alone worship, I dislike most of the characters but it is like asking if I am anti-Darth Vader.

Quote:2. Would you marry a Theist?

I think that would be incredibly unlikely.

Quote:3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

It has happened many times. I've listened. The arguments never get any better and they are all flawed. I don't actually care about anybody's personal version about much of anything... I care what they can demonstrate is most probably true. Their personal version of god is no different than their personal version of dragons or unicorns.

Quote:4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

Sure. Stop trying to pass laws based on what you think your imaginary friend told you and don't keep telling me what he wants. You are free to believe what you want but if you want to restrict me in any way you need to provide rational evidence why it is better of those restrictions are there.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
20-02-2018, 01:56 PM

Anti
not in a sense to outlaw it or force people to abandon their beliefs, but in a sense of educating people by exposing that their beliefs are unfounded.

Yes

Yes
I would take the person serious in that he/she it seriously beliefs, and i would listen.
How serious i would take their "truth about god" would depend on how good their arguments for their "truth" are.

Very good question!
Yes
Particularly if theists wouls stop repressing atheists, and people not of their own belief in general

Having control over my own life, aka freedom, the absence of being forced to do or (pretend to) think things i dont want to.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
20-02-2018, 02:03 PM
(20-02-2018 12:57 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I just want to add one more point: I spent decades of my adult life trying to make sense of theistic assumptions by way of my study of Sufism, yet failed to do so.

I'm sorry to hear that, but your background in Sufism is very interesting for me. There are many Sufis in my country and we grow up with the poems of great Persian Sufis like Rumi, carrying their wisdom through literature from very early age. While I do not categorize myself as a Sufi Muslim, I think Sufis beautifully and truthfully represent the message of oneness (Tawhid) in Islam, although I admit it might not go hand in hand with sense and reason.

Sadly the current government of Iran represses Sufis and prevents them to spread this beautiful dimension of Islam and Sufi masters usually live covertly and the public cannot easily access them.

I'm sorry about those decades of your life which now you consider to be wasted and I hope you are at peace now. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Hussein's post