Some Questions From Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2018, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2018 02:22 PM by Hussein.)
RE: Some Questions From Atheists
(20-02-2018 01:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The absence of something (theism) doesn't define me in any way.
I can't answer any question "as an atheist".

That's an interesting and insightful point Shy Thank you for that.

Quote:I have a question for you, however.
As a self-identified Muslim, what is the mental algorhythm you use, when you decide to ignore (if you do) certain parts of your holy book that promote violence ?

I do not ignore any part of the Qur'an, however, my interpretation might significantly vary from someone who perceives radical violence in the Qur'an.

In general I'm not absolutely anti-violence, following the teachings of the Qur'an, I believe violence is not only permissible, but necessary in case of defense and against the oppressor. I also find this stance to be reasonable independent of my religion.

Hope that answers your question.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2018, 02:25 PM
1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it? To be more clear, would you actively oppose religion and the idea of God if you find the right opportunity? Or you just don't care about it.

Quote:I just don't care about it, unless someone keeps going on and on and on and on about it. Then it's annoying to me. And I don't think it's been good for humanity as a whole.

2. Would you marry a Theist?

Quote:Depends on the theist, see the above answer.

3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

Quote:Probably not. I will take seriously that he believes what he believes. I don't believe in a god and I don't take fairy tales seriously.

4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

Quote:Of course. Why not?

5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.
Quote:Learning.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-02-2018, 02:32 PM
(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  Hello everyone,

This is my second post here, the first one being an introduction.
I'd like to know your answer as an Atheist about a couple of questions. I'd be interested in the reasons behind your answers.

1. Do you categorize yourself as anti-religion/God or you are simply indifferent about it? To be more clear, would you actively oppose religion and the idea of God if you find the right opportunity? Or you just don't care about it.

I think religion is generally a bad idea, and often harmful. I oppose it through discussion. I wouldn't condone opposing it through force.

The concept of God on its own I don't much care about.

Quote:2. Would you marry a Theist?

A pure deist would be no problem. After that it would depend on the amount God factored into their lives. If they were part of a religion, then almost certainly not. I'd expect us to be too fundamentally different.

Quote:3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

Sure, I'll give anyone a shot.

Quote:4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

Yes.

Quote:5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

I'd appreciate your answers,
Peace be with you all

Protecting the innocent/vulnerable.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
20-02-2018, 02:42 PM

I'd like to know your answer as an Atheist about a couple of questions. I'd be interested in the reasons behind your answers.

I'd say I'm pretty anti-religion, but I keep it largely to myself because I have no social confidence.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  2. Would you marry a Theist?

Me personally, probably not because I can't see myself marrying. But if they were 'the one', I imagine I could. So long as they weren't pushy. Plenty of atheists and theists are married and live perfectly happy lives together.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

Assuming I wasn't paralysed by social anxiety, yes. I would take them seriously. Maybe they might be offended by my questions and not see them as serious, but I would be utterly serious in trying to pick apart and understand what they are trying to sell me on.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

They can. Scandinavia is a good example of societies where religion and irreligion are largely non-conflicting. But that's only possibly because the religious largely keep their gods out of the secular world; education, medicine, government, science. Gods not need apply.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

I fail to understand the meaning of this question. I value learning really highly so I guess maybe that?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
20-02-2018, 02:50 PM
Sure, I'll play.

I am not anti-god; god is a character in a book. I'm no more anti-god than I am anti Voldemort.

I am not anti-religion, but neither am I indifferent about religion. I've seen religion damage people badly. I'm one of the damaged, in fact.

I am anti fanaticism. I am anti people who use religion as a club and mechanism of social control. I am anti people who try to get others to follow their religions' tenets by making their religious beliefs into law. I am anti people who use religion to tell their daughters that their only worth is in their untouched vaginas, to encourage violence and discrimination against groups outside of their faith, and to make their intolerance and oppression a virtue rather than a fault.

2. Would you marry a Theist?

Yes. However, I'm very glad that I married an atheist. 22 years and still going strong.

3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

I would take the theist seriously, in that I would understand the importance of the conversation to the theist, but I would not have the conversation. I'm not obligated to sit through yet another sales pitch for a deity, any more than I would accept sitting through a sales pitch for Mary Kay or Amway.

This website is where I come to interact with theists who want their views challenged. I do not evangelize for atheism, and I expect my theist friends to do me the same courtesy.

4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

Yes, if theists stop trying to make laws based on their theology. Unfortunately, I'm a US citizen. Theists are trying to limit how much science can be learned, trying to make discrimination based on religious interpretation legal, and in many states have put in place laws (that are still on the books, even when not enforced) forbidding atheists to do things like serve on juries or hold public office.

5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

I don't have just one, but I'll name a couple of things that are the most important to me. One is the idea of giving back to others the good things that were given to you. Another is the willingness to keep learning.

In terms of giving back, music and my music teachers made my childhood, which was not ideal, bearable, and they helped me develop a vision of a positive future. Now I'm a musician and music teacher. I know that for most of my students I'm nowhere near as important as my music teachers were to me, but this is my way to give back.

The willingness to keep learning can be an uncomfortable position. It requires me to admit that I may be wrong and also to understand that I may never find the correct answers or positions. Nevertheless, I keep trying.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
20-02-2018, 02:58 PM
(20-02-2018 02:03 PM)Hussein Wrote:  
(20-02-2018 12:57 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I just want to add one more point: I spent decades of my adult life trying to make sense of theistic assumptions by way of my study of Sufism, yet failed to do so.

I'm sorry to hear that, but your background in Sufism is very interesting for me. There are many Sufis in my country and we grow up with the poems of great Persian Sufis like Rumi, carrying their wisdom through literature from very early age. While I do not categorize myself as a Sufi Muslim, I think Sufis beautifully and truthfully represent the message of oneness (Tawhid) in Islam, although I admit it might not go hand in hand with sense and reason.

Sadly the current government of Iran represses Sufis and prevents them to spread this beautiful dimension of Islam and Sufi masters usually live covertly and the public cannot easily access them.

I'm sorry about those decades of your life which now you consider to be wasted and I hope you are at peace now. Smile

Well, perhaps "wasted" is too strong a word. I could have spent my time better, but I did learn a fair amount. I was studying Idries Shah's books, and he often referred to Rumi, Saadi, Jami, Hafiz, Attar, and others who you are no doubt familiar with. I also read certain translations of books by each of those writers. I thought the iconoclastic Sufi interpretation of Islam made the best sense of theism, and was disappointed when the bottom fell out for me.

I am now content with my atheism, which I think preserves the best part of that iconoclasm.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
20-02-2018, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2018 03:31 PM by Hussein.)
(20-02-2018 02:32 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
Quote:5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

Protecting the innocent/vulnerable.

My respect for this answer Smile

How do you think we can achieve this? What method would you suggest?

ETA: This situation is very close for me. Innocent people of Yemen are struggling almost with bare hands against the US-backed Saudi, showering children with advanced US-made weapons day and night. I regularly think how I can help those innocent people and I'm struggling to figure out what is the right thing for me to do.
20-02-2018, 03:14 PM
(20-02-2018 02:42 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

I'd say I'm pretty anti-religion, but I keep it largely to myself because I have no social confidence.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  2. Would you marry a Theist?

Me personally, probably not because I can't see myself marrying. But if they were 'the one', I imagine I could. So long as they weren't pushy. Plenty of atheists and theists are married and live perfectly happy lives together.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  3. If a Theist comes to you, interested in explaining his/her version of "the truth about God" to you, is there a chance you would take him/her seriously?

Assuming I wasn't paralysed by social anxiety, yes. I would take them seriously. Maybe they might be offended by my questions and not see them as serious, but I would be utterly serious in trying to pick apart and understand what they are trying to sell me on.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  4. Do you think Theists and Atheists can coexist in peace, without any sort of conflict?

They can. Scandinavia is a good example of societies where religion and irreligion are largely non-conflicting. But that's only possibly because the religious largely keep their gods out of the secular world; education, medicine, government, science. Gods not need apply.

(20-02-2018 12:41 PM)Hussein Wrote:  5. Finally, what is your most high value in life? The one with the highest priority and significance, if you can name one.

I fail to understand the meaning of this question. I value learning really highly so I guess maybe that?

Thank you for your answer. Hope you never stop learning. Yes It seemed to me you are struggling with anxiety. I wish you recover very soon. Yes
20-02-2018, 03:21 PM
(20-02-2018 02:50 PM)julep Wrote:  I am not anti-religion, but neither am I indifferent about religion. I've seen religion damage people badly. I'm one of the damaged, in fact.

I'm sorry to hear it. But I'd be interested to know how religion has harmed you? of course if you feel comfortable to talk about it. Harming others by my religion is among my greatest fears. So I'd like to learn about it.
20-02-2018, 03:38 PM
1. You can't be anti to something that doesn't exist.

2. No. I would only get married to a 95 year old millionairess with no family. No pre- nup.

3. Anybody who believes they have " the truth" about some nefarious, invisible, omnipotent being is playing fast and loose with the concept of truth and should be discounted at all costs.

4. If they' would quit knocking on my door on Saturday morning, they might have a chance...

5. What has the most value? I don't know. How much are you charging??

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.