Some Questions for the Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2015, 05:55 AM
RE: Some Questions for the Theists
(13-08-2015 11:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm not a biblical scholar, but I don't recall a messiah named Jesus ever being predicted in the OT. There was one who would be called Immanuel, however...

There wasn't even one who would be called Immanuel. -Not in the context that the Christians say, anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2015, 06:17 AM
(14-08-2015 05:55 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 11:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm not a biblical scholar, but I don't recall a messiah named Jesus ever being predicted in the OT. There was one who would be called Immanuel, however...

There wasn't even one who would be called Immanuel. -Not in the context that the Christians say, anyway.

I thought I'd include Immanuel since it was the only messiah-like OT prophesy I could think of at the time, and the writer of the Gospel of Matthew apparently referenced the Immanuel prophecy in relation to Jesus.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-08-2015, 06:42 AM
(14-08-2015 06:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 05:55 AM)Aliza Wrote:  There wasn't even one who would be called Immanuel. -Not in the context that the Christians say, anyway.

I thought I'd include Immanuel since it was the only messiah-like OT prophesy I could think of at the time, and the writer of the Gospel of Matthew apparently referenced the Immanuel prophecy in relation to Jesus.

It isn't common knowledge among those with a Christian background, but the passage that Matthew quoted is taken out of context. Matthew was either ignorant of the Hebrew scriptures or he was unschooled in the Hebrew language.... Or both.

Isaiah 7:14 isn't a messianic prophesy at all. It was a prophesy that was to be fulfilled in the short term; something that King Ahaz could use in the course of his own lifetime to serve as "proof" that he would win a war. If it wasn't to be fulfilled for 700 years (when Jesus was born), then how could that prophesy served to aid the king? The woman in question was known to both Isaiah and King Ahaz, and she was likely married to one of them. The text also says that the young woman was already pregnant when the prophesy was written. It also doesn't say anything about her being a virgin.

Matthew's ignorance in this matter is really quite astonishing.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
14-08-2015, 06:55 AM
(14-08-2015 06:42 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 06:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I thought I'd include Immanuel since it was the only messiah-like OT prophesy I could think of at the time, and the writer of the Gospel of Matthew apparently referenced the Immanuel prophecy in relation to Jesus.

It isn't common knowledge among those with a Christian background, but the passage that Matthew quoted is taken out of context. Matthew was either ignorant of the Hebrew scriptures or he was unschooled in the Hebrew language.... Or both.

Isaiah 7:14 isn't a messianic prophesy at all. It was a prophesy that was to be fulfilled in the short term; something that King Ahaz could use in the course of his own lifetime to serve as "proof" that he would win a war. If it wasn't to be fulfilled for 700 years (when Jesus was born), then how could that prophesy served to aid the king? The woman in question was known to both Isaiah and King Ahaz, and she was likely married to one of them. The text also says that the young woman was already pregnant when the prophesy was written. It also doesn't say anything about her being a virgin.

Matthew's ignorance in this matter is really quite astonishing.

Sounds about right.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
14-08-2015, 07:06 AM
(14-08-2015 06:42 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Matthew's ignorance in this matter is really quite astonishing.

It could also be an attempt to find support for his beliefs that was either an intentional twisting of the original story or just self-delusion.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
14-08-2015, 07:49 AM
(13-08-2015 08:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 07:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I want photos.

That's the proof I want.

Or perhaps mention in actual historical documents.
Might be a problem seein as how the Romans destroyed all proof other than texts that where written after the fact for the most part. They are historic documents though.

Citation please

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
14-08-2015, 08:42 AM
(14-08-2015 07:49 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 08:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Might be a problem seein as how the Romans destroyed all proof other than texts that where written after the fact for the most part. They are historic documents though.

Citation please
Yeah, no problem. Let me just cite some destroyed documents from 2000 years ago. People's claims of citations being necessary or absolutely ridiculous it is simply a defensive mechanism for your deluded comprehension and justification of your stance as an atheist. Thank you.
14-08-2015, 09:07 AM
(14-08-2015 08:42 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yeah, no problem. Let me just cite some destroyed documents from 2000 years ago. People's claims of citations being necessary or absolutely ridiculous it is simply a defensive mechanism for your deluded comprehension and justification of your stance as an atheist. Thank you.

No offence, but offering something more than your made up 'feel good' might go a little way towards folks engaging with you.

Though, so far, I'm not reading much that is coherent from yourself, Pops.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
14-08-2015, 09:10 AM
(14-08-2015 08:42 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 07:49 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Citation please
Yeah, no problem. Let me just cite some destroyed documents from 2000 years ago. People's claims of citations being necessary or absolutely ridiculous it is simply a defensive mechanism for your deluded comprehension and justification of your stance as an atheist. Thank you.

According to your logic, I could claim that jesus didn't really rise from the dead and that early christians destroyed all documents that discussed this and I don't need provide any evidence to back this up. Bullshit. That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
14-08-2015, 09:12 AM
(14-08-2015 08:42 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 07:49 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Citation please

No, we just like to see some evidence when outrageous claims are made. What reason do you have to think that "the Romans destroyed all the documents"? When we ask for a citation, we don't mean "show us the destroyed documents" -- that would be a ridiculous demand. What we do mean is "show us some evidence that someone with some actual credentials has made this claim" (i.e., someone other than you). Because on the face of it, it's just not a believable claim.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post