Some Recent Stats on Atheism - Pew

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2016, 03:24 AM
Some Recent Stats on Atheism - Pew
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/
Estimating the number of atheists in the U.S. is complicated. Some adults who describe themselves as atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit. At the same time, some people who identify with a religion (e.g., say they are Protestant, Catholic or Jewish) also say they do not believe in God.
Unquote.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zeff's post
03-06-2016, 06:46 AM
RE: Some Recent Stats on Atheism - Pew
Thanks for sharing that. I always find the stats interesting on these things. It definitely shows you the limitations of asking people both how they identify and to use terms that aren't necessarily fully defined. For example: I certainly identify as agnostic. Depending on the definition in question, I may or may not identify as atheist. Looking at their breakdown of sub groups (with all groups adding up to 100%), it forces atheists and agnostics to be mutually exclusive. Based on that alone, I would be forced to identify as agnostic unless they gave me a definition of atheist that was broad enough.

Still, I see the sum of the atheists, agnostics, and "not at all important"s as a growing group that will hopefully make things more secular and less religious in public policy.
03-06-2016, 06:50 AM
Even stranger stats for the Anglican church in England............

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...21899.html

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
03-06-2016, 07:13 AM
The statistical trends here in the Czech Republic are very promising:

[Image: y47mlP.png]

Turns out it's not only the least religious countries in the European Union, but also one of the least religious countries in the entire world. A strange circumstance considering that the population in the neighboring countries is 60-80%+ Christian.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
04-06-2016, 09:32 PM
I have to say that the definition in Webster sucks.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-06-2016, 09:50 PM
(03-06-2016 07:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The statistical trends here in the Czech Republic are very promising:

Turns out it's not only the least religious countries in the European Union, but also one of the least religious countries in the entire world. A strange circumstance considering that the population in the neighboring countries is 60-80%+ Christian.

Last I heard you were slumming in the US?
04-06-2016, 09:53 PM
(04-06-2016 09:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 07:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  The statistical trends here in the Czech Republic are very promising:

Last I heard you were slumming in the US?
Who told you that? I've never been to the US in my entire life.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-06-2016, 01:30 AM
(03-06-2016 06:46 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I certainly identify as agnostic. Depending on the definition in question, I may or may not identify as atheist.

I like Matt Dillahunty's explanation, "Atheism concerns belief; if you don't believe a God exists. you are an atheist. Agnosticism, on the other hand, concerns knowledge. An agnostic is someone who does not have knowledge of whether God exists or not. Since it is impossible to know (with absolute certainty) that God does not exist, we are all agnostic".

Interestingly, theists who do claim to have absolute knowledge that God exists, are demonstrating their lack of credibility by making that claim.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 3 users Like 666wannabe's post
09-06-2016, 10:58 AM
(08-06-2016 01:30 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I like Matt Dillahunty's explanation, "Atheism concerns belief; if you don't believe a God exists. you are an atheist. Agnosticism, on the other hand, concerns knowledge. An agnostic is someone who does not have knowledge of whether God exists or not. Since it is impossible to know (with absolute certainty) that God does not exist, we are all agnostic".

I'm fine with that definition, but not everyone uses it. The fact that this Pew survey counts them as two, mutually exclusive groups (with the sum of all groups must add up to 100%), then that definition would be incompatible with their survey.

Any time I try to use that definition with theists, they accuse me of being some kind of edgelord who just wants to use the term "atheist" and that I'm trying to muddle the definitions to create the illusion of solidarity...

...says the Christian who lumps himself with Lutherans, Wesleyans, Baptists, Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, yada yada so they can claim they're the biggest religion in the world.