Some astonishing ignorance at display

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2017, 07:57 AM
RE: Some astonishing ignorance at display
(02-04-2017 03:02 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  As some of you know form my avatar, i am the owner of a Citroen DS. Something that is quite essential to this little story. Citroen being the brand and DS being the model. Like Ford Mustang, with Ford being the brand and Mustang being the model.

Today i woke up my preciouss from its hibernation and drove directly to the gas station to check tire air pressure. So while doing my thing an elderly man approaches me and asks me if the brand DS is still in existence. I told him in a matter-of-fact-tone that its a Citroen DS, and yes, the brand still exists but the model doesnt (well, there is a "new" DS out since a few years, but it has nothing to do with my model, they just wanted ot cash in on this name of their most famous model). But, to my surprise, he answered in a matter-of-fact-tone as well, that no, DS was a brand.

At this second it dawned to me that we are standing there, two men, one with a car he owns for 30 years and obviously has enough know how (and $ Blush ) to keep it in shape. And then, we have this other, random guy, who doesnt own a car like this (and probably never did), who wants to tell the owner of this car (me), that he must be wrong about this most fundamental property of his car, namely what brand it is.

At this point i was finished with checking tire pressure and decided to wish him a good day and that he may want to google "Citroen" and "DS".

Facepalm

.... I had no idea that car existed at all...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2017, 09:26 AM
(02-04-2017 07:57 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 03:02 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  As some of you know form my avatar, i am the owner of a Citroen DS. Something that is quite essential to this little story. Citroen being the brand and DS being the model. Like Ford Mustang, with Ford being the brand and Mustang being the model.

Today i woke up my preciouss from its hibernation and drove directly to the gas station to check tire air pressure. So while doing my thing an elderly man approaches me and asks me if the brand DS is still in existence. I told him in a matter-of-fact-tone that its a Citroen DS, and yes, the brand still exists but the model doesnt (well, there is a "new" DS out since a few years, but it has nothing to do with my model, they just wanted ot cash in on this name of their most famous model). But, to my surprise, he answered in a matter-of-fact-tone as well, that no, DS was a brand.

At this second it dawned to me that we are standing there, two men, one with a car he owns for 30 years and obviously has enough know how (and $ Blush ) to keep it in shape. And then, we have this other, random guy, who doesnt own a car like this (and probably never did), who wants to tell the owner of this car (me), that he must be wrong about this most fundamental property of his car, namely what brand it is.

At this point i was finished with checking tire pressure and decided to wish him a good day and that he may want to google "Citroen" and "DS".

Facepalm

.... I had no idea that car existed at all...
9 CLASSIC CARS YOU WOULDN’T EXPECT THAT HAVE CHANGED THE LANDSCAPE OF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY
10 Best Cars Of All Time
10 Most Influential Cars of All Time
10 Innovative and Influential Cars From History

ARGUMENT FROM AUTHORITY INCOMING: Tongue
Jay Leno Wrote:This is, to this day, the most comfortable car ever built.

Wedding of Halle Berry
[Image: The_wedding_of_Halle_Berry_and_Olivier_M...40x426.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
02-04-2017, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 11:31 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(02-04-2017 03:02 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Citroen being the brand and DS being the model. Like Ford Mustang, with Ford being the brand and Mustang being the model.

I wondered...

Now admittedly, I know zero about cars really...

But...My man did own a Chevrolet Camero RS. General Motors/Chevrolet was the automaker, but wouldn't Camero (like Cadillac or Corvette, or Impala, Or Chevelle) be more the brand...and the RS, SS, or whatever indicate a model?

In your example Ford is the automaker but Mustang is a brand in and of itself.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-04-2017, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 12:07 PM by Deesse23.)
Models come in several variants usually. Thats why Camaro RS is the exact and complete model name, with RS being the code for various versions with various engines etc.. All Camaros still are different variants of the same Camaro model.

The term "automaker", hmm. I would reserve that for companies like GM, that have several brands running (Chevrolet, Buick, Dodge, Opel) under one single roof. Brands like Opel who once were separate automakers themselves before they got "swallowed" by a bigger fish in the pond. Most automakers nowadays feature differernt brands, where they are selling the same base models with varous eqipments and varous quality parts.

Example:
VW: Is selling VWs, but the same base car (called "platform") with different equipment as Skoda. Engine and Chassis are the same.
Audi: is selling Audi and Seat
Renault: Is selling Renault and Dacia
etc.
pp.

P.S.: a few years ago VW sacked the boss of Skoda, because they offered the same base vehicles like VW not only cheaper, but with even comparable quality. So, basically they became their own competitor.

02-04-2017, 12:17 PM

In NZ we term it as "Make" and "Model"
The "Make" being "Citroen" and the "Model" being the "DS"

In my view both the Make and the Model are brand names.

And if I google it, I find a Wiki page
Car Model
Quote:An automobile model (or car model or model of car, and typically abbreviated to just "model") is a particular brand of vehicle sold under a marque by a manufacturer, usually within a range of models, usually of different sizes or capabilities.
02-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Huh, now im getting sorta confused. Hobo

02-04-2017, 12:40 PM
(02-04-2017 06:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  I once owned a Citroen, it looked more like this:

[Image: ugly%20duckling_zpsyvcspsjq.png]

It was the ugly duckling....

Those models were rather popular when I lived in Teheran in the mid-70s.
02-04-2017, 12:57 PM
(02-04-2017 12:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 06:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  I once owned a Citroen, it looked more like this:

[Image: ugly%20duckling_zpsyvcspsjq.png]

It was the ugly duckling....

Those models were rather popular when I lived in Teheran in the mid-70s.

I had this one in the late 60s.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-04-2017, 06:29 AM

Facepalm

The guy wasn't entirely wrong.
While in the case of your car (BTW - I really envy you) "Citroën" was the brand (or "make") and "DS" was the model, nowadays "DS" is an entirely separate brand belonging to the PSA group (owner of Peugeot, Citroën and, since March, Opel): DS Automobiles.

Just my two kopeks...
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post
03-04-2017, 07:20 AM
(03-04-2017 06:29 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  

Facepalm

The guy wasn't entirely wrong.
While in the case of your car (BTW - I really envy you) "Citroën" was the brand (or "make") and "DS" was the model, nowadays "DS" is an entirely separate brand belonging to the PSA group (owner of Peugeot, Citroën and, since March, Opel): DS Automobiles.

Just my two kopeks...

You are actually correct. Just talked to a co worker today about this issue (since i am working for a major car supplier, it was entirely legit to do so Big Grin ) and he explained to me that this new "DS" line actually has been separated from Peugeot/Citroen as a separate brand. Still it has nothing to do with my old car from the 50s-70s.

There is not a single day you dont learn something new Laugh out load

By the way, I own this Citroen, a Peugeot 306cab and an Opel. Which now makes me Peugeots wet dream of a customer Cool

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post