Some books for atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Some books for atheists
Religion, science, and philosophy have taken a front seat in my life. What books do you read on the heavy stuff? Here is my list so far...

The God Delusion- Richard Dawkins
A Universe from Nothing- Lawrence Krauss
The End of Faith- Sam Harris
Misunderstandings of Human Evolution- Henry Gee
Intuition Pump and Other Tools for Thinking- Daniel Dennet
Religion as a Natural Phenomenon- Daniel Dennet

Michio Kaku has some solid books that I've been wanting to get into, but sadly he keeps getting pushed down my book queue. Any suggestions on other good reads? I have to say that The God Delusion was my hands down favorite.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 01:16 AM
RE: Some books for atheists
Just finished up The God Delusion. He gave me tons of "ah ha" moments!!

I'm now sifting through a book by Alex Filippenko, The Cosmos - Astronomy in the new millennium. Enjoying it!

Hope After Faith - Jerry Dewitt. Wouldn't really recommend it though. He spent way too much time talking about his life as a pastor. I wanted to get to the good stuff of him converting, but that was near the end.

Not sure what I'll read next.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
25-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Check out these books - http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com - just finished reading the first one which has been pushed by dawkins here in the UK. It's incredibly thought provoking, about a working class genius atheist politician, a bit sci-fi[/align]
25-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Wow.
I can't believe no one has mentioned Christopher Hitchens', God Is Not Great - probably the one book I'd recommend anyone read - theist and non-theist, alike!

Across the board information - more than one might imagine from such an unassuming book. Check it out. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-06-2014, 01:55 AM
I wanna get a book from Carl Sagan and Sam Harris.

I have already decided to get The God Delusion and God is not great.

What are Carls and Harrises best books? IYO?

Psalm 14:1 - There is NO God!
27-06-2014, 06:39 AM
I have all what has been listed here, sadly no time to read them all. I am reading a few pages slowly of A History of God every night. Damn you, law school!
27-06-2014, 08:37 AM
I've been trying to find 'a universe from nothing' and 'god is not great' in Pakistan but sadly our libraries don't keep books that might even slightly provoke you to think.

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
27-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Re: RE: Some books for atheists
(27-06-2014 08:37 AM)Anna Wrote:  I've been trying to find 'a universe from nothing' and 'god is not great' in Pakistan but sadly our libraries don't keep books that might even slightly provoke you to think.
That's a shame. If ebook works out for you, maybe you can get those titles on ebook Wink
27-06-2014, 10:44 PM
(27-06-2014 01:55 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I wanna get a book from Carl Sagan and Sam Harris.

I have already decided to get The God Delusion and God is not great.

What are Carls and Harrises best books? IYO?

'Demon Haunted World' by Sagan... I haven't read it myself, but I keep meaning to.

This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree; but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom... - The Ghost of Christmas Present.
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
27-06-2014, 11:06 PM
I liked Letter To A Christian Nation - Sam Harris.

I'm still waiting for On The Historicity of Jesus - Richard Carrier to be published. It's been a while since it was announced. I hope it's worth the wait.