Some crazy shit is happening over at Youtube right now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Youtubers left and right have seen MASSIVE cuts to their AdSense revenue overnight. Meanwhile, Google is now partnering with the old-school media to start hosting paid TV on Youtube for $35 a month. I'm thinking that advertisers are going to start shifting their focus more and more to the mega-corp cable conglomerates once again, and anyone without a stable Patreon income is going to be left in the wake. It's not looking pretty.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2017, 09:56 PM
RE: Some crazy shit is happening over at Youtube right now
I don't monetize my youtube account as most of my videos are kept unlisted for my clients. I didn't create youtube channel to make money off of it. I created it to host my videos for clients of aerial, ground, and inside footage of high end real estate.

If what you say is true then I can understand that a lot of people stand to lose a lot of revenue since, for some, that is their main source of revenue.

I make a small amount of revenue off twitch by streaming our Trials runs in Destiny on PS4 but that is more of a hobby than anything.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
06-04-2017, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I've seen mention of that on a few channels. (Secular Talk for one, but I don't follow it enough.)

If I remember what I heard there correctly, some big-name advertiser's ad ran on some dinky extremist channel (1000 subs or less, I think.) They freaked, other big advertisers freaked and started pulling back - cutting income just from that - then Youtube tweaked whatever algorithm they use to determine if a video can be monetized or not - and a lot of political and social "controversial" videos got tagged by it. (Among others.)

Brave new world.

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
06-04-2017, 04:14 AM
Other Youtube News: Hugo and Jake (The Bible Reloaded) won their lawsuit against the Christiano Brothers over false DMCAs. It all ended suddenly and strangely, and unfortunately could not be used to set a precedent as they had hoped for future bullying on Youtube.

God fucking damn legal proceedings are complex. I have the utmost respect for them for seeing this through.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-04-2017, 05:32 PM
What ads show on your monetized videos (and therefore how much you make off of it) depends a lot on how big your channel is.
I am pretty damn sure that if I would monetize my videos, there would be no Pepsi, Ford, or McDonalds ad on there because these huge companies pay more for more reach, with my channel there wouldn't be any reach. Even if I had a thousand subs you wouldn't see that stuff. But that doesn't mean that i wouldn't make any money from the monetization.

I know that a lot of youtubers (say medium sized channels... somewhere in the hundret thousands) rely heavily on the adsense and a cut in that income means a great deal to them. But this is where sponsors come in. A channel from about 50ish k upwards can make some nice deals with different sponsors to get extra cash and there are many channels that do that and where the content creators can live off that.
I am not defending any cuts in ad revenue through youtubes video monetization but just trying to give some bit of context.

Now about any business with media outlets and subscription payments to watch those programs. So what? There are already pay to watch movies on YouTube. Google is a for-profit service and Youtube is part of that. If they can squeeze extra cash out of something there, of course they will do it. So although it is inconvenient for me, I cannot blame them. (Anyway I got Netflix, take that YT)

Now personally, as a small tiny content creator on that platform and seeing where things are going with all the weird rule changes and so on, I have been looking around to move to another video platform. Problem is, the best reach you will get it via Youtube because it has almost monopoly on the market. It runs smooth, is easy to navigate, etc. So yea... sucks to be a youtuber nowadays I guess.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
06-04-2017, 06:00 PM
(06-04-2017 05:32 PM)Leerob Wrote:  (Anyway I got Netflix, take that YT)

Pronounce YT out loud and it will reveal the real problem.

https://youtu.be/X-eHlCtKlFY
06-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Here I thought this was going to be about how YouTube is censoring atheists by demonetizing atheist videos and won't let AmazingAtheist change his username back to that from his real name, because it's not appropriate content. The news in the thread though is awful for a lot of content creators.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2017, 06:49 PM
This is the issue with relying on only 1 source for your income when in business. It's the same if you sold business to business but one of your clients made up like 80% of your sales, if that client suddenly decided to shop elsewhere you are fuuuuuuuuucked. It's good business practice to diversify and not put all your eggs in one basket. Youtube is no different, if you're big enough you need to have more reliable sources of income besides Youtubes add revenue. Selling merchandise, acquire your own sponsors, have a presence on different platforms etc.. etc..

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, it most certainly does. I think it's sad that Youtube is basically selling out what Youtube was all about, that being user generated content.
The whole purpose of Youtube was so the average twat can record some shit on his camera and post it up and a million people can view it. It's basically spawned a number of industries such as the whole video game streaming thing and made things such as vlogs way more popular. So to see Youtube step away from that side of things, the things that make it so popular to begin with, in favor of a paid tv service is disconcerting.
06-04-2017, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 07:01 PM by cactus.)
I'm like 90% sure CultOfDusty changed his Youtube name yesterday to something like "The New Amazing Atheist" and then changed it back today.

Also, Shai, it's not just the highly controversial channels. One of my favorite cover artists got hit hard by these revenue cuts. Fortunately, his Patreon patrons made sure to be extra patronizing toward him as a result of this.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
06-04-2017, 07:09 PM
(06-04-2017 01:39 AM)Ricochet180 Wrote:  Youtube tweaked whatever algorithm they use to determine if a video can be monetized or not -

Was the same when I ran websites for $ - except there it was google. One tweak of their algorithm and poof - people were out of business.

The rule of thumb for remaining within their algo is:

Publish regularly, the more often, the better. But regularly.

The "information" published should be of a nature that causes recurring interest - people should go and view what was published a year ago and find it relevant.

Never, ever try to circumvent the rules, they will ferret you out and eliminate you. They are ruthless about this.

There are lots more rules like that, but the above would apply to websites and youtube content both.

The number of views you get does matter, but it is only one of many, many criteria they have in their algo. People are always trying to game their algorithms, and they get punished when caught. The algo is adjusted constantly and you only feel a few of these adjustments. Much of it goes towards analyzing your viewers and deciding what to show them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post