Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist...
My mother is a very illogical and ignorant person, not just on the topic of religion but basically everything. If she gives me her opinion or advice on something I tend to just ignore it as I don't trust she knows what she is talking about.

So yesterday I ended up getting into a conversation with her about religion. She is a Christian here is how it went down...

- every single passage I picked from the Bible eg. You can keep slaves, you can't wear mixed fabrics, the references to a flat earth etc. She dismissed then all as metaphors.
- she told me that homosexuality are disgusting and God banned homosexuality in the Bible because of aids. I told her that aids wasn't around at the time and it was transfered from chimps and she said I am gullible and will believe anything (how ironic).
- she gave me some speech about how Muslims are grooming kids and then said she could see me blowing people up just like them because I don't believe in God and atheist. She said she was really concerned that I would go around brainwashing and killing people over my beliefs as I was being influenced by the Internet and would get groomed by an atheist or something (wtf!)
- she dismissed the big bang theory by making it seem very basic and stupid and then she said she didn't believe in evolution either.
- she called me an anti Christ.
- she asked me dumb questions like do I pray to God even when I don't believe in him.

So yeah my mother must be a fundamentalist Christian and likely even a creationist. I don't think she will change anytime soon either. She just gave me a look of disgust and disappointment.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 12:25 PM
RE: Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist...
Thank her for everything she's done right for you, and has given you. Then when she smiles, thank her for sparing you her "knowledge" and "intelligence".
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
22-07-2014, 12:32 PM
"Mom, I know you worship something that you think requires you to hate me now. Know that I still love you anyway."

Civil coexistence has to be Job 1. You can talk about the points of disagreement later, but for now work off the assumption that you're not going to come to an agreement in the next ten minutes, and find a way to get along in spite of that.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
22-07-2014, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't sweat it, my mom defriended me on Facebook, she doesn't like all the stuff I post. She has the unthinking, personal experience perspective on god. No point in bringing up facts, science or historical parallels to mythology to her.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-07-2014, 01:08 PM
(22-07-2014 12:15 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  - every single passage I picked from the Bible eg. You can keep slaves, you can't wear mixed fabrics, the references to a flat earth etc. She dismissed then all as metaphors.

Should have asked her what they're metaphors for.

Quote:- she called me an anti Christ.

Well, the only way to deal with that is to get some red contact lenses, smear ketchup around your mouth and hands, and wander around the house with a dazed look muttering about how the end is nigh. Yes
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
22-07-2014, 01:16 PM
I am in the same position the issue though for me is that my mother is also a natorious liar above being illogical. She really did not know that the earth revolves around the sun and thought the other way around. She thinks that only Christians pray to god because no other religion worships "God".
She thinks the word God itself is special and that the Bible was written in pure English not Greek. So for example, Allah is not god even though it means "The God" in Arabic.

Any sort of nice action she tends to do for herself and her sense of morality is one sided. These kinds of people you cannot argue with and must regard as being "crazy" in the sense of psychologically incapacitated. I cannot hate my mother the same way I cannot hate a kid with Autism. Religion does this and becomes an emotional and psychological crutch. It hinders and harms minds beyond the point of reason.

When my mother wished me to fail in college because I do not believe in god I paid her no attention because I know for a fact she is demented because of her religion. I cannot hold her responsible when she is robbed of a mind.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Slave's post
23-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Two things I can't get over:
1. How eager some of you seem to be to have relationship altering confrontations with your parents; and
2. How quickly some of your parents seem to be to do the same.

I guess I'm more shocked by the 2nd. Kids will always go through that stage. Parents should know better. But, either of those is completely foreign to me. My sons will always be my sons and I love them unconditionally. All I want for them is happiness. If they embrace religion, so be it. If they are gay, then that's what they are. As long as they are happy.

I have a great relationship with my parents too. One of my best moments this summer was taking my dad to a Mets game a few weekends ago. I can't imagine my relationship being any different.

I had no idea how fortunate I was. I feel really bad for those of you who deal with parents who choose religion over their children. And I feel worse for those of your who seem eager to choose atheism over your parents. It is possible to choose both.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-07-2014, 06:49 AM
(23-07-2014 06:22 AM)BnW Wrote:  ...
parents who choose religion over their children.

E.g:
Abraham and Isaac
Jephthah and Seila (or Adah)
Yahweh and Jesus

... because bible.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-07-2014, 08:43 AM
(22-07-2014 12:15 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  - every single passage I picked from the Bible eg. You can keep slaves, you can't wear mixed fabrics, the references to a flat earth etc. She dismissed then all as metaphors.

And homosexuality isn't a metaphor?

(22-07-2014 12:15 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  - she told me that homosexuality are disgusting and God banned homosexuality in the Bible because of aids. I told her that aids wasn't around at the time and it was transfered from chimps and she said I am gullible and will believe anything (how ironic).

Ask her if AIDS is a punishment from God, why did he allow us to invent retrovirals that let people live for decades after the fact? Why does AIDS target children from blood transfusions, and not target every homosexual?

Why does God use AIDS, and numerous other punishments in the Bible as poorly targeted, circumventable, half-measure punishments? It seems the most we need to do regarding this god is to learn how to protect ourselves from him, and suddenly, he might as well not even exist.

I love how the god of the fundies will grow very big and shrink very small depending on the subject they're currently discussing at any given moment.
23-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Thank God my parents aren't religious.