Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist...
Not that you asked for rebuttals, but...

(22-07-2014 12:15 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  My mother is a very illogical and ignorant person, not just on the topic of religion but basically everything. If she gives me her opinion or advice on something I tend to just ignore it as I don't trust she knows what she is talking about.

So yesterday I ended up getting into a conversation with her about religion. She is a Christian here is how it went down...

- every single passage I picked from the Bible eg. You can keep slaves, you can't wear mixed fabrics, the references to a flat earth etc. She dismissed then all as metaphors.

You would not accept this explanation from believers in any other holy book. On what logical basis do you accept it from the Bible?

Quote:- she told me that homosexuality are disgusting and God banned homosexuality in the Bible because of aids. I told her that aids wasn't around at the time and it was transfered from chimps and she said I am gullible and will believe anything (how ironic).

How ironic. You hit that one on the head. Ask her if syphilis and herpes prove God is against heterosexual sex. And why does AIDS affect heterosexual couples and innocent people who receive blood transfusions?

Quote:- she gave me some speech about how Muslims are grooming kids and then said she could see me blowing people up just like them because I don't believe in God and atheist. She said she was really concerned that I would go around brainwashing and killing people over my beliefs as I was being influenced by the Internet and would get groomed by an atheist or something (wtf!)

Muslims believe in God. If anything, we should be afraid of the kind of atrocities SHE would commit, agreeing with Muslims that there is a God and that he's not very tolerant.

Quote:- she dismissed the big bang theory by making it seem very basic and stupid and then she said she didn't believe in evolution either.

Ask her if she got a flu shot this year and last year. Why did she need one this year if she already got it last year?

Quote:- she called me an anti Christ.

You are.

Quote:- she asked me dumb questions like do I pray to God even when I don't believe in him.

Ask her if she prays to Zeus.

Quote:So yeah my mother must be a fundamentalist Christian and likely even a creationist. I don't think she will change anytime soon either. She just gave me a look of disgust and disappointment.

No "likely" about it. She must be a creationist. But she's still your mom. Give her a hug.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
23-07-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: Some facepalm moments my mum said to me after finding out I am atheist...
This all happened in a single conversation?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply