"Some of my best friends are blank"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2017, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 06:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: "Some of my best friends are blank"
(05-09-2017 05:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 03:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Imaginary. Some of my best friends are imaginary.
So, it's really Girly's foster home for imaginary friends.

I was raised by wolves

and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into their yellow eyes without blinking once (you can also blink at a high enough frequency so fast they can't detect it depending on your wiring).

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
I had an acquaintance a few years back who had a black ex wife (with kids) despite being clearly racist, not to mention sexist. At first I thought it strange, but it all started to make sense as I got to know him. The guy was kind of an idiot and was clearly insecure about that fact. He married a black woman not because he respected her, but because he looked down on her and didn't want to be with someone he perceived to be intellectually superior (a white woman, for example).

Naturally, the marriage failed because his perception of her was flawed due to him being blinded by his insecurities.

The point is simply that you can be friends with or even married to someone while still looking down on them for reasons including but not limited to race.

"I can't be sexist because I married a woman" certainly isn't a valid argument. Same concept.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
05-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Note to self: Be more careful with naming your thread. Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
05-09-2017, 07:40 PM
(05-09-2017 04:25 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  I understand the rolling of eyes that such a statement as "my friends are blank" or "I love my blank friends and family members" brings for the hapless speaker. But it is not fair to assume that because a person uses such a cliched phrase, they don't mean it or they are exaggerating or lying.

Yes, thank you, I feel the same way and was literally thinking of working in the phrase "eye rolling" somewhere in my post as the stereotyped reaction to the assertion. Just because your eyes are rollin' don't mean I lyin'.
05-09-2017, 07:56 PM
(05-09-2017 07:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I had an acquaintance a few years back who had a black ex wife (with kids) despite being clearly racist, not to mention sexist. At first I thought it strange, but it all started to make sense as I got to know him. The guy was kind of an idiot and was clearly insecure about that fact. He married a black woman not because he respected her, but because he looked down on her and didn't want to be with someone he perceived to be intellectually superior (a white woman, for example).

Naturally, the marriage failed because his perception of her was flawed due to him being blinded by his insecurities.

The point is simply that you can be friends with or even married to someone while still looking down on them for reasons including but not limited to race.

I get what you're saying, this sounds like an example of the case being true. And if other evidence demonstrates he was clearly racist then sounds like, as you say, a deep seeded need to be superior so as to feel good about himself. Sad.

Quote:"I can't be sexist because I married a woman" certainly isn't a valid argument. Same concept.

Well, no, though that's an amusing counterargument! I don't know how many men out there are so sexist they don't enjoy fucking.
05-09-2017, 08:30 PM
My best friend is a damned Yankee. Who recently confessed to me that she actually LIKES Justin Beiber. I told her I could get past the whole Yankee thing but I didn't know if I could be friends with someone who likes the Beib. (She knew I was kidding.)

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
05-09-2017, 08:55 PM
(05-09-2017 06:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I was raised by wolves.

And it shows Drinking Beverage

Me, I come from where the wild roses grow Angel

Used to love this song when it came out. Still think Nick Cave has a really beautiful voice, but he is also a bit too pretentious *and* religious for my more mature tastes Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Some of my best friends are dead.

It's what happens when you get old.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
06-09-2017, 03:52 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
06-09-2017, 05:02 AM
Some of my best friends are in my cellar..

Get your own bleeding hymn book