Some of us could be in trouble...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Some of us could be in trouble...
?WTF??

Law bans Internet images that cause 'emotional distress'

There goes the Internet.

A new Tennessee law makes it a crime to post an image online that might "frighten, intimidate or cause emotional distress" to someone.

As reported by the technology website Ars Technica, the state already has a law against making phone calls, sending e-mails or otherwise communicating with someone in a way that would cause emotional distress. This latest ban, signed by Gov. Bill Haslam last week, is an update to that law.

The difference is that offenders may be prosecuted even if it's not the intended recipient who is "distressed." Anyone who sees the image - which means anyone on the Internet - could claim it upset them.

Prosecution can lead to almost a year in jail or up to $2,500 in fines.

The law even includes postings on social networking sites, giving law enforcement access to those drunken Facebook photos and tweeted pictures of your lunch if they can demonstrate that the content is "relevant and material to an ongoing criminal investigation."

Privacy experts, including UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh, say the law is unconstitutional.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/20...ird%20news

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
RE: Some of us could be in trouble...
Wow a law like that just bans the entire internet.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Obviously there's no way to enforce this law. How it passed I can't even imagine. Only those living in Tennessee could be prosecuted for it. Well I'll start making claims against people from Tennessee who piss me off for a quick buck then =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Your avatar offends me Tongue

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
10-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Dang!
[Image: the-passion-of-the-christ3.jpg]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
You don't need to be a privacy expert to know that is going to be unconstitutional. That article reads to me like state lawyers in TN has too much free time on their hands and weren't sure what to do with it. Someone already invented a super terrific classification system so that was out. I guess they decided to do the next best thing and get themselves sued.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
10-06-2011, 11:43 AM
(10-06-2011 11:26 AM)BnW Wrote:  Someone already invented a super terrific classification system

THE GREATEST CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM YOU FEEBLE MORTALS HAVE EVER COMPREHENDED!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

[Image: mad_scientist.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I may live in Mennonite central, but wow am I glad I don't live there.
\you know even though we do this crap

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/3777-...ncouver-ca

Ugh.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
This is going to get ugly quick. How long until this is struck down?
10-06-2011, 08:32 PM
(10-06-2011 02:36 PM)riseinside Wrote:  This is going to get ugly quick. How long until this is struck down?

I guess that depends on how long it takes someone from TN to find observer's post. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink