Some people...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Some people...
I dunno about youz guyz but I realise that I have a mental image about some people: the contributors to TTA, based on their idiosyncrasies (KC started a good discussion on this very subject).

In practice, I realise I am making judgements about which posts to view... a form of unnatural selection, I guess... based on this mental model.

It's the same with movies. I does not matter how good or bad a film might be, I will tend to avoid films where I know I not understand the dialogue simply because I find it difficult to understand certain actors (Downey jr, De Niro, Stallone) without subtitles. So I am probably missing some really good stuff.
Similarly, I will go out of my way to see other movies cos a certain director or actor or actress has chosen to be involved. Oddly, Robert Downey jr also fits into this category which creates a dilemma.

So too with TTA.

I see a post from e.g. Bucky Ball and, before opening it, I "know" I will discover something wonderful and new but hesitate, wondering if I have time to fully digest a mammoth tome.

Erx is my John Le Carre, my Robert Redford, my Tim Robbins... I have to go there.

HoC is my Robert Downey jr.: "Damn! That was good!" + "WTF was he talking about?"

I don't think I have the same process in a negative sense. That's more to do with the thread title or the forum section. So, there is no contributor that I will actively avoid.

Do you guys do the same?

Who are the posters whose postings are like honey to Pooh Bear?

(I gotta plane to catch, it would be good to see your views in a few hours.
Luvya xoxox)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-09-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: Some people...
Not sure if these are what you are looking for, but...

I like to look when The Ranting Thread pops up as current to see if Earmuffs was the last poster (he often is). If Muffs isn't the most recent poster, it's likely to be someone responding to his rant.

Frankie J almost always makes me laugh.

Erx will often take the sting out of a serious thread, often with a funny picture. And he is always there for support when it's warranted.

In an argument thread, I now wait for things to get heated and KC to post an upside down dog.

I always read Mr. Woof and Dom when they pop in.

I like it when Chas is terse and deadly, but also like when he isn't.

I have to read HoC's posts...I seldom understand them, but I have to read them.

DLJ is like the mystery man to me...

Girly doesn't post enough any more. Girly took me under his wing when I first arrived, as did Erx.

Stark is a good read whether in forum member mode or in Admin mode.

There are some I avoid until the number of replies is really big, then I have to see what's going on. I am sure there are some people not coming to mind right now.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
23-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Some people...
DLJ is someone I tend to avoid anytime I see that he's posted. I really don't know if he ever starts new threads or not.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-09-2012, 09:54 AM
(23-09-2012 08:32 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Not sure if these are what you are looking for, but...

I like to look when The Ranting Thread pops up as current to see if Earmuffs was the last poster (he often is). If Muffs isn't the most recent poster, it's likely to be someone responding to his rant.

Frankie J almost always makes me laugh.

Erx will often take the sting out of a serious thread, often with a funny picture. And he is always there for support when it's warranted.

In an argument thread, I now wait for things to get heated and KC to post an upside down dog.

I always read Mr. Woof and Dom when they pop in.

I like it when Chas is terse and deadly, but also like when he isn't.

I have to read HoC's posts...I seldom understand them, but I have to read them.

DLJ is like the mystery man to me...

Girly doesn't post enough any more. Girly took me under his wing when I first arrived, as did Erx.

Stark is a good read whether in forum member mode or in Admin mode.

There are some I avoid until the number of replies is really big, then I have to see what's going on. I am sure there are some people not coming to mind right now.

Yup, that's the kinda thing I was intrigued by.

I was becoming aware of my own browsing habits and wondered if others were already self-aware.

Thanks.

Hehehe, "mystery man". Dunno why but I like that. Might not have been a compliment but I'm vain enough to take it as such.

I agree about Girly. Until recently I was figuring the CIA had got to him.

Muffs has certainly made The Ranting Thread his home.

I also enjoy the unexpected where a regular joker has a tender moment or when a usually serious poster (say, Ghost or Egor) hits the funny spot.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-09-2012, 09:57 AM
(23-09-2012 08:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  DLJ is someone I tend to avoid anytime I see that he's posted. I really don't know if he ever starts new threads or not.

I can un-rep you, you know?

Not that you'd notice

23-09-2012, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 10:18 AM by bemore.)
I tend to build up pictures in my mind what people are like and I enjoy it when people post their pics in the "show ya face" thread caus im allways wrong Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
23-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I can hardly tell all of you apart; you're all just a blur.
You are only coming through in waves;
Your lips move,
But I can't hear what you're saying

I'm just here for the women and the beer.Thumbsup

It's not working out very well.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2012, 03:45 PM
But, seriously ...

I look forward to posts from so many of you, for lots of reasons: intelligence, insight, humor, angst, creativity.

I love to see newcomers come in and start engaging, and regulars encouraging them.

And I really like being surprised.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2012, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 04:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-09-2012 03:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  I can hardly tell all of you apart; you're all just a blur.
You are only coming through in waves;
Your lips move,
But I can't hear what you're saying

Whenever Chas posts I know I have to have a look to see if he has made an unattributed musical or literary reference. And he knows I can't help myself but to attribute it. ... Fucker. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Yup, everyone has a personality here, it's comforting to know what to expect from people. I like the diversity.

I wish I had more time for some posts/posters or threads because they require concentration I sometimes cannot provide lately. In the winter I'll put some slippers on and sip hot cocoa and baileys and go through peoples posts to backlog them and read up Tongue Especially Buckey's, like DLJ I know they're great but a line up at the post office isn't enough time to give it the attention it deserves. I always am engaged but don't have the time to think things through so I leave it- I'd rather do something properly than a half-assed job. I will be like The bird dude and I'll revive a bunch of old stuff from now. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post