Some people...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Some people...
There are a few people that I almost instinctively watch when I see they've posted. When I pop in, but can't stay long, I tend to read threads I'm following, and if I have extra time, I'll check out thread these people are involved in. Buddy Christ, Chas, DLJ, Bemore, ThatBeardedDude, and Lady Jane are the ones that come to mind right away, but there's a few others as well.

I really enjoy KC, but often he is so bombarded by the antitheists that conversation is all but lost. I like him best when the topic has nothing to do with religion. If I felt like having a religous discussion, he'd be the first I'd approach, but I'd do it in private so I don't have to sift through pages upon pages of people bashing him and ruining the actual discussion.

If I am feeling patient, and have the time, I really like reading the threads our younger members get into. As much as we've been teasing the teens here lately, I really am glad they are here. The standouts for me are atothetheist, Logica Humano, and legendoflink (cuz she's just the sweetest damn kid on the planet).

Also, an honorable mention to Ghost. And it's just a mention because he hasn't been around much lately. I may be in the minority, but I really like what Ghost has to say, as well as how he says it. He challenges me, and that gains a whole helluvalotta respect with me.

Now I'm gonna feel all guilty for leaving people out. Particularly for people like Girly, Erx, HoC, Hughsie, FSM scot, and Rora. Only reason they didn't get mentioned above is because we tend to frequent the same threads regardless of whether we contribute much. There's some people you just can't help think of as friends instead of "forum members".

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-09-2012, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 06:24 PM by depat.)
You speak about mental images. Many of the posts also speak of tone and style which seems fine, so I' talk about all of it, with a short introduction. I am very new to blogs, and I have found my initiation disturbing to my understanding of english as so many of you are very familiar with one another using quips and jargon in a short-hand language I have not yet caught onto. Think of me as a lonely, Luddist (Face Book scares me) unable to find common ground in a theist intrenched, small bible belt town who didn't know what "bump a thread" meant until two days ago." I thought it meant falling off a track at some point.

On mental images: I am most influenced by sight because I am new. Think of how some of these look to someone new to blogs: Girly Man has this amazing film cut of Jack Nicholson in One Flew . . . . crazy, DLJ has this swanky photo of maybe himself (seriously self assured), Lady Jane is largely obscured by a starkley mysterous veil of light (is she who she portrays herself to be?), and there is this Tasmanian devil--scarry, . . .

On tone and style: Muffs makes me crazy (maybe he is having fun with us, down muffs, I'n not here for your intertainment); for this newcomer--DLJ often does not seem to explain himself, as he is, I have found, so capable of doing; The bearded dud is a teacher, no surprise there.

Sorry all, I haven't been on site long enough to know more about you. If I hang out, I'll learn. Hopefully, I'll learn how to properly cut a quote from a thread to speak more directly to an issue. Is there a "this is how you do it blog?
[+] 2 users Like depat's post
23-09-2012, 09:25 PM
There aren't many people who I will go out of my way to read posts by but there are many people who I am always delighted to see a post from if I'm reading through a thread because I think they have a proven track record of making insightful comments. I'm sure you know who you are.

The exceptions to that rule are LOL96 and Ferdinand. I would read practically any thread they post in, even if it's boring as hell. LOL96 because she makes me smile, and Ferdinand because I love her outlook on things.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-09-2012, 10:12 PM
There are so many guys on here that I love to follow and most of you know who you are Smile
The woman that I always stalk, I mean follow are:-
LJ, Kim, Anjele, Dom and Leela - luv ya, girls Heart Keep up the good work Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
23-09-2012, 11:04 PM
I think this might be straying, DLJ, but when I read certain posts, I can't help but imagine voices for certain people on the thread.

Sadly most are people I know. Some are attributed to characters from TV.

I think the strangest one my brain associated was GirlyMan with Yosemity Sam. Sorry, Girly.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
23-09-2012, 11:09 PM
...and I do like the new girl (the one above this post Smile )

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
23-09-2012, 11:40 PM
(22-09-2012 09:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I see a post from e.g. Bucky Ball and, before opening it, I "know" I will discover something wonderful and new but hesitate, wondering if I have time to fully digest a mammoth tome.

This wouldn't be happening if there were somewhere to put them, other than in the regular forum posts. A while ago we were talking about a resource libray for the forum, and nothing came of it. If there were a list of subjects headings or a way to get something on, without going on through the regular forum, I would use it. Most of the long ones are for the guests anyway.

At the beginning of September I decided to check on view numbers for a couple of the long ones. On Sept 6, the "Old Testament Texts / Another Look" had 183 views. On Friday, it had 766 views. So people find them, either as a web search, or a TTA search, and read shit, long after they are gone from "today's posts". I wish there was a way to put the "educational" ones somewhere other than the regular forum, but there isn't.

Beware. There are two more biggies in the works.
a. a group project refuting YECism, and Creationism in general,
b. a refutation of Aristotle/Aquinas/Feser and friends(the Catholic go-to-guy)

We still need a forum resource section,
with a mod type "librarian/resource manager",
(we can link to all kinds of junk, not just atheist stuff, organized by topic).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-09-2012, 04:04 AM
My action go as planned here... I always say a lot, but you never mention me, until I mention myself, in topics like this one. And I like it, it means that I can maintain my ninja hiding skills, you know I'm here somewhere, but I remain hidden somewhere in the back of your thoughts. Keep up the good work of not remembering me, it is the only way I can work from your subconsciousness...

Evil_monster

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
24-09-2012, 04:25 AM
I do love that Frankie J fella, but I don't like how he is constantly arguing with me.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
24-09-2012, 04:37 AM
(23-09-2012 06:21 PM)depat Wrote:  ... I am very new to blogs, and I have found my initiation disturbing to my understanding of english as so many of you are very familiar with one another using quips and jargon in a short-hand language I have not yet caught onto. Think of me as a lonely, Luddist (Face Book scares me) ...

Confession: TTA is my first and only blog / forum that I've joined, ever!
I joined but then lurked for a while to get used to the style and the rules. Actually, I didn't read the rules, it was more about understanding the society / culture like when I move to a new country, I don't read law book, I just observe the people around me.
I have to google the urban slang all the time (yesterday Erx wrote tl;dr (too long didn't read) which I'd never seen before).
And no Facebook either... not through fear... just cos I'm not interested in catching up with latest goings-on of old friends. There is a reason why they are not current friends, I reckon.

(23-09-2012 06:21 PM)depat Wrote:  ... DLJ has this swanky photo of maybe himself ...

No "maybe" about it. It's just the only pic I have that doesn't scare animals and small children.

(23-09-2012 06:21 PM)depat Wrote:  On tone and style: Muffs makes me crazy (maybe he is having fun with us, down muffs, I'n not here for your intertainment); for this newcomer--DLJ often does not seem to explain himself, as he is, I have found, so capable of doing; The bearded dud is a teacher, no surprise there.

Sorry. Must do better.
(just trying to make Anjele think I'm mysterious Big Grin )

(23-09-2012 11:04 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I think this might be straying, DLJ, but when I read certain posts, I can't help but imagine voices for certain people on the thread.

Sadly most are people I know. Some are attributed to characters from TV.

I think the strangest one my brain associated was GirlyMan with Yosemity Sam. Sorry, Girly.

Brilliant!
Everyone else is going to hear Girly like that now too.

So, you are hearing voices in your head?!?! That's a little worrying.

(23-09-2012 11:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 09:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I see a post from e.g. Bucky Ball and, before opening it, I "know" I will discover something wonderful and new but hesitate, wondering if I have time to fully digest a mammoth tome.

This wouldn't be happening if there were somewhere to put them, other than in the regular forum posts. A while ago we were talking about a resource libray for the forum, and nothing came of it. If there were a list of subjects headings or a way to get something on, without going on through the regular forum, I would use it. Most of the long ones are for the guests anyway.

At the beginning of September I decided to check on view numbers for a couple of the long ones. On Sept 6, the "Old Testament Texts / Another Look" had 183 views. On Friday, it had 766 views. So people find them, either as a web search, or a TTA search, and read shit, long after they are gone from "today's posts". I wish there was a way to put the "educational" ones somewhere other than the regular forum, but there isn't.

Beware. There are two more biggies in the works.
a. a group project refuting YECism, and Creationism in general,
b. a refutation of Aristotle/Aquinas/Feser and friends(the Catholic go-to-guy)

We still need a forum resource section,
with a mod type "librarian/resource manager",
(we can link to all kinds of junk, not just atheist stuff, organized by topic).

Damn fine idea.

I hope you don't misunderstand though. Your posts are one the main reasons I am here.... knowledge.

I have been in discussions with colleagues and friends who are almost all complacent / uncritical / tradition-based theists and as I am talking I realise I am quoting Mr B.Ball.

I think there are many others that have influenced me in similar way (Buddy, Mark Fulton (where did he go btw), Lightninlives, Chas, Starcrash and indeed some of the newbies too) or in different more troubling ways (KC and HoC). Sorry, I've not listed all the names.

Can't say the same for Erx, Girly and of course, Muffsy... if I quoted them, I'd be deported.

Aurora,
I like the ladies too cos I know I'm going to be reading stuff that has a mix of empathy (Leela, Anj, LJ) / wisdom (Dom) / oddness (Kim) / naughtiness (CTS and you).

Oh and Caffy (CaffeineSoul) and Logisch also... before I click I have already decided I am going to like what I read.

And Filox ... I get nightmares easily!

Conclusion:
I have more of a tendency to pre-judge than I would like to admit.

Lesson learnt:
Make myself more clear (for depat) and more mysterious (for Anjele).
Be more open minded.

Apologies if by inclusion or ommission ...

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,