Some science books for a 5 year old

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Some science books for a 5 year old
I want to continue to educate my child on the life sciences and history myself before he gets exposed to people who have other motives.

Do you know of any books that explain the universe, science, evolution, etc suitable to read to a 4 1/2 year old?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2012, 05:39 PM
RE: Some science books for a 5 year old
I am not familiar but am also interested. However for a 3 year old who is a freakin genius.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
(05-06-2012 11:48 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I want to continue to educate my child on the life sciences and history myself before he gets exposed to people who have other motives.

Do you know of any books that explain the universe, science, evolution, etc suitable to read to a 4 1/2 year old?
The Magic of Reality, Richard Dawkins
A Really Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson

Both have good illustrations, too.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I have the magic of reality. Great book, and covers a good age range too.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2012, 06:58 PM
I'll tell you what I tell everyone: Start with the They Might Be Giants "Here comes science" album. It's one of the most engaging ways to introduce a child to science, and the videos are great. If you know enough you can spot depth in them that help you get into additional topics or link the different topics together.

I'm just starting to read Dr Karl's Dinosaurs Aren't Dead, which is not by any means perfect but has been a good starting point to talk about the history of the world. My daughter is 6.

In the end the best books and materials will be the ones you can use as a starting point to talk about the science you're interested in yourself. I think children learn best from involvement in your interests.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Try to not get this song in your head!

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
[+] 2 users Like FaceOfBoe's post
07-06-2012, 07:27 AM
When my grandmother died, she had taught school for many many years. She has a whole bunch of completely illustrated and written stories she did, and a few of them explain very simple scientific principals. I've often thought about trying to get a few published, especially now that due to my career I have a relationship with some publishers.
07-06-2012, 10:29 AM
you could make a very small book yourself. I did that once for my work. The kids loved that book because it was handmade.
oooh now my trained brain is starting to do some storming... here we go

You could could collected pictures and newspaperarticles that you explain to him and things from magazines. You get a bit of cardboard and nice rope colors etc. And you collect those bits and pieces for a few weeks. And then you make it a hand-made science magazine together with your kid. you go through the pics "do you remember that? Wasn't this about how hot the sun is? That was cool, let's have it in our magazine" Kinda like that. or you make it a book or whatever you like. I think making books is cool because the experience of going through the pages will be made a really nice experience at the same time (no book shy kids please hehe).

What you can do as well (apart from books), I always did that with the kids at work, fitting the time of the year collect things that fit. for example the brown leafes in fall, or a banana in summer, and make these things a topic of the day or of the weekend or so. Dunno how much time you have for these things.
You could even have a dedicated spot, where you collect such things. A little table or a spot shelf or so... For example what I did with the kids once was the topic hygiene and I had a little bowl and I showed the kids how the bubbles come when you put soap in, and I explained it (kidlike) and then I left the bowl with a fork in it on a shelf so they could go and stir when they wanted to see the bubbles (and no, no kid drank it, I explained that in detail to them as well, so they did not want to try that).

Well you see, I'd rather do something with the kids than look on some printed pages. Even making the book yourself is better in my opinion. But that's just me, I like reading to kids as well, but not science. I think reading science is boring - even with a ton of pictures.

I have so many ideas right now haha I think I am going to write a science for kids book. Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post