Some sincere questions for pro-life atheists, no debate intended

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Some sincere questions for pro-life atheists, no debate intended
When I think of pro-lifers I mostly think of the religious, but I was not surprised to read about pro-life atheists. I feel very curious.

I am not interested in debating anything in this thread, I am interested in learning more about what people think. If I ask any questions, it will be to clarify my understanding of a response and I will not lay any judgment on respondents (I am pro-choice). In fact, if you would rather respond in a PM rather than in the thread, that would be fine. I will also not debate or lay on judgment in my PMs on this matter.

Questions:
If you are a pro-life atheist -
*Do you make any exceptions for abortion? What are they, if you do?
*How would you want your opinions enforced in our nation, how should unborn human life be protected?

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2014, 06:21 PM
RE: Some sincere questions for pro-life atheists, no debate intended
Questions:
*How would you want your opinions enforced in our nation, how should unborn human life be protected?

1) Yes, but I don't consider abortion to be a black and white issue. The longer the pregnancy goes on before ultimately getting an abortion, the more it troubles me. First days, weeks, and maybe a couple of months I don't have an issue with. Late stage pregnancy abortion I do have a problem with. The longer it goes before termination, the bigger the problem I have with it.

2) How do I want my opinions enforced? I don't.
I would like to see schools take up teaching kids proper sex education. None of this abstinence only bullcrap.
[+] 12 users Like jojorumbles's post
01-09-2014, 05:36 AM
(30-08-2014 10:57 PM)Imago Wrote:  When I think of pro-lifers I mostly think of the religious, but I was not surprised to read about pro-life atheists. I feel very curious.

I am not interested in debating anything in this thread, I am interested in learning more about what people think. If I ask any questions, it will be to clarify my understanding of a response and I will not lay any judgment on respondents (I am pro-choice). In fact, if you would rather respond in a PM rather than in the thread, that would be fine. I will also not debate or lay on judgment in my PMs on this matter.

Questions:

How about you provide some background, like where you "read about pro-life atheists."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2014, 06:27 AM
I am pro-life because of the growing number of atheists.

I'm thinking ... food supply.

Angel

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
01-09-2014, 10:32 PM
(01-09-2014 05:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 10:57 PM)Imago Wrote:  When I think of pro-lifers I mostly think of the religious, but I was not surprised to read about pro-life atheists. I feel very curious.

Questions:

How about you provide some background, like where you "read about pro-life atheists."

Actually the first time I even came by the term was in this forum in a thread that was recently added to.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.
01-09-2014, 10:37 PM
(31-08-2014 06:21 PM)jojorumbles Wrote:  Questions:

1) Yes, but I don't consider abortion to be a black and white issue. The longer the pregnancy goes on before ultimately getting an abortion, the more it troubles me. First days, weeks, and maybe a couple of months I don't have an issue with. Late stage pregnancy abortion I do have a problem with. The longer it goes before termination, the bigger the problem I have with it.

2) How do I want my opinions enforced? I don't.
I would like to see schools take up teaching kids proper sex education. None of this abstinence only bullcrap.

Thank you for your response. I would just like to clarify a little. So the cause of the pregnancy or reasons for wanting to abort are not what bother you - just how much fetal development has occurred? As in, if you're going to abort, decide quickly, for humane reasons? Since the more developed the unborn are the more likely they are to feel pain, etc.?

01-09-2014, 10:40 PM
(01-09-2014 10:37 PM)Imago Wrote:  ...
So the cause of the pregnancy or reasons for wanting to abort are not what bother you - just how much fetal development has occurred? As in, if you're going to abort, decide quickly, for humane reasons? Since the more developed the unborn are the more likely they are to feel pain, etc.?

How many causes of pregnancy are there?

I can only think of one.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-09-2014, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say I am pro life. I don't feel like abortion is appropriate for myself in my relationship. I don't really see a fetus at six weeks to be any different principly than a fetus at 28 weeks. I do support a woman's right to choose. Honestly, the whole debate makes me rather uncomfortable.
02-09-2014, 06:10 AM
(01-09-2014 11:24 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I wouldn't go so far as to say I am pro life. I don't feel like abortion is appropriate for myself in my relationship. I don't really see a fetus at six weeks to be any different principly than a fetus at 28 weeks. I do support a woman's right to choose. Honestly, the whole debate makes me rather uncomfortable.

Your discomfort stems in part from not understanding the difference between a fetus at 6 weeks and one at 28 weeks. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-09-2014, 06:13 AM
While it certainly is not impossible for an atheist to be pro birth, they would still be in the same category of not giving a fuck about quality of life after birth. It is not your body, you are not the doctor or the girl/woman. STAY THE FUCK OUT OF IT.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post