Some straight bull...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2016, 10:34 AM
RE: Some straight bull...
I get very uncomfortable when discussions on ANY forum become caustic and vitriolic. It warms my heart to see a caring attitude emerge when someone reveals the pain they silently endure in their private life.

Thanks Pops for sharing. And thanks to all of you who responded with kindness.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
11-01-2016, 11:41 AM
(11-01-2016 09:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Your worry is unfounded.
Accept that it is. Psychotic breaks like the ones you are prone to aren't under a individuals control when they happen. The fact you haven't had one since 2011 (arguable) doesn't mean you can't or won't have one again. The fact you think you're in direct communication with a god makes it MORE likely you need to be medicated, not less.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
11-01-2016, 02:04 PM
(11-01-2016 11:41 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 09:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Your worry is unfounded.
Accept that it is. Psychotic breaks like the ones you are prone to aren't under a individuals control when they happen. The fact you haven't had one since 2011 (arguable) doesn't mean you can't or won't have one again. The fact you think you're in direct communication with a god makes it MORE likely you need to be medicated, not less.
I didn't have a psychotic breakdown.

The things that happened to me completely healed me, and gave me new purpose in life. Before it happened I was perhaps a danger due exponential general hatred or anger, mostly towards myself. That isn't the case anymore, and hasn't been since.

I can still get pissed, but we all can.

Even when I was angry, I never really hurt anyone as a result.

My Faith actually does keep me in a state of well being. I was destructive without it, and oblivious to it.

I am not crazy. I am not normal.
11-01-2016, 06:24 PM
(10-01-2016 10:26 PM)Noric Wrote:  Would a passive belief in a higher being be just as bad if humans hadn't fucked it up in the beginning?

Nope, that would be more or less harmless. That's probably more or less how it all started out. The problem is that there's always somebody who just has to go a bit beyond their nose, to tell others that they aren't quite believing the right way. And then there are those who are deliberately gaming the system, trying to build ever more power. So religion gets organized and politics gets involved and everything goes straight to hell in a handbasket.

Just look at the early history of an religion for a fine example of this. More knives in the backs from the highest of holies than you can shake a stick at.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-01-2016, 06:27 PM
(11-01-2016 06:24 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 10:26 PM)Noric Wrote:  Would a passive belief in a higher being be just as bad if humans hadn't fucked it up in the beginning?

Nope, that would be more or less harmless. That's probably more or less how it all started out. The problem is that there's always somebody who just has to go a bit beyond their nose, to tell others that they aren't quite believing the right way. And then there are those who are deliberately gaming the system, trying to build ever more power. So religion gets organized and politics gets involved and everything goes straight to hell in a handbasket.

Just look at the early history of an religion for a fine example of this. More knives in the backs from the highest of holies than you can shake a stick at.

You make a pointed argument. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-01-2016, 06:52 PM
(11-01-2016 02:04 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I can still get pissed, but we all can.

I can't. Ain't been angry in 3 decades. I won't allow it. I don't like me when I'm angry.

(11-01-2016 02:04 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Even when I was angry, I never really hurt anyone as a result.

Except for the unfathomable damage you did to yourself.

#sigh
11-01-2016, 07:50 PM
(11-01-2016 06:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 02:04 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I can still get pissed, but we all can.

I can't. Ain't been angry in 3 decades. I won't allow it. I don't like me when I'm angry.

(11-01-2016 02:04 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Even when I was angry, I never really hurt anyone as a result.

Except for the unfathomable damage you did to yourself.
Anyone else. The pain and suffering I put myself through is still aparent to me to this day. I couldn't really see my negative state for what it was. Really I was doing better with the self defeating part was still quite volatile.

I cannot prove it to anyone else, but please do not guess that I haven't critiqued, and applied reason and understanding to what happened to me in order to try and explain it away because I did, and still do.

Do you really think that I don't contemplate my sanity at times? I always have been very introspective and a thinker.

I am an intp 4w5. I think a lot. Not circular thinking or self justifying. I am my own worst critique. Always have been.

I can't prove it and don't expect you to just believe me.
11-01-2016, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 07:22 AM by popsthebuilder.)
(11-01-2016 06:29 AM)julep Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 04:35 PM)Noric Wrote:  This turned into an interesting thread.

Eh… pops's bullshit gets dull after a while.

His participation on this thread will stop, however, just as soon as he makes a specific claim (rather than the vague and incoherent stuff) and is asked to provide evidence to back it up and then is required to discuss that evidence in detail.

See: every thread with pops in it, ever. Once he's asked to be specific, his phone battery "dies," or his large volume of supporting evidence is somehow deleted--before it ever makes it to one of his posts and can be evaluated by other readers--and he demands that instead, others "look it up."

He even runs from simple questions asking him to cite the scripture backing his claims, for example, that all scriptures of all religions essentially agree, or that scripture supports a single point.
My phone was about to die once or twice delaying my reply. My posts have been removed or wiped clean over halfway through copying and pasting page upon page of corroborating data. That happened like 3 times on one subject. I don't run from anything. With that being said I will open a thread for scriptural support of my claims that the religions I have studied are very similar in moral code way of attainment and reason for attainment among other things. This may take some time because the books are generally thousands of pages and unlike life long religious people I cannot simply go straight to what I need because I don't remember where it is.

So give me some time please.

Thanks
11-01-2016, 08:30 PM
I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation.
Popcorn

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
11-01-2016, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2016 09:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-01-2016 07:50 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Do you really think that I don't contemplate my sanity at times?

I know I do.

#sigh