Some thoughts on weight loss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Some thoughts on weight loss
I'm one of those people who always want to lose a bit of weight. I search for before and after pictures and success stories to help me stay motivated.

Now, I noticed something interesting in those searches. Many people who had just started their diet were excited that they had lost their first 2 pounds. Since in my country we don't use pounds, but kilos, I was always converting numbers to get an idea.
While converting small amounts like 2 or 5 pounds, I noticed something very interesting. It is a fact that a person's weight can fluctuate during the day (and for women, during their menstrual circle) and I knew that 0,5-2 kilos was the normal range. The thing is, 2 pounds are about 1 kilo.

No one would celebrate the loss of 1 kilo here. They would celebrate the loss of 2+, which is equal to 5 pounds, but still it's only the beginning.

What I'm trying to say is that our perception of units is very important when we think about weight loss. We tend to associate progress with numbers and it's funny because the same numbers in different measurement units seem to be the same "steps" in the process. For example,

In countries that use pounds, people tend to associate:

Loss of 2 pounds (the beginning)
Loss of 5 pounds (getting better)
Loss of 10 pounds (big change)
Loss of 20+ pounds (amazing results)

If you substitute "pounds" for "kilos", the associations will remain the same for people who use kilos, even though the amount of weight lost is almost the double!

My goal is to lose 2,7 pounds and it's not the easiest thing. Who would have such a goal in pounds? It's almost funny.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: Some thoughts on weight loss
I lost 55 pounds, should actually lose 20 or 30 more, but right now I can't motivate myself anymore.
The results are that I lost 2 sizes of clothing, no longer have any indigestion, ever (which used to be a lot) and I am over all just feeling better.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
07-09-2013, 05:34 PM
So a healthy weight loss in kilos is .5 a week and in NA it is 1-2lbs a week. People don't get motivated by .5 a kilo where you live, but they are motivated by 1? How often would one wait to see results, 2 weeks?
08-09-2013, 02:22 AM
Actually, the most common thing to hear is that you can lose 1-2 kilos a week (I'm not surprised it's once again the same with pounds) and that's what most people who try to lose weight aim for. We usually expect to see the first results on the first week and then gradually every 2 weeks I guess.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-09-2013, 02:42 AM
I lost one pound today.

I flushed afterwards and put the toilet seat down (I'm well-trained)

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
08-09-2013, 05:18 AM
(07-09-2013 05:04 PM)Caveman Wrote:  I lost 55 pounds, should actually lose 20 or 30 more, but right now I can't motivate myself anymore.
The results are that I lost 2 sizes of clothing, no longer have any indigestion, ever (which used to be a lot) and I am over all just feeling better.
That's what actually fucking matters.

Sounds good.Thumbsup
08-09-2013, 05:20 AM
(07-09-2013 02:23 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm one of those people who always want to lose a bit of weight. I search for before and after pictures and success stories to help me stay motivated.

Now, I noticed something interesting in those searches. Many people who had just started their diet were excited that they had lost their first 2 pounds. Since in my country we don't use pounds, but kilos, I was always converting numbers to get an idea.
While converting small amounts like 2 or 5 pounds, I noticed something very interesting. It is a fact that a person's weight can fluctuate during the day (and for women, during their menstrual circle) and I knew that 0,5-2 kilos was the normal range. The thing is, 2 pounds are about 1 kilo.

No one would celebrate the loss of 1 kilo here. They would celebrate the loss of 2+, which is equal to 5 pounds, but still it's only the beginning.

What I'm trying to say is that our perception of units is very important when we think about weight loss. We tend to associate progress with numbers and it's funny because the same numbers in different measurement units seem to be the same "steps" in the process. For example,

In countries that use pounds, people tend to associate:

Loss of 2 pounds (the beginning)
Loss of 5 pounds (getting better)
Loss of 10 pounds (big change)
Loss of 20+ pounds (amazing results)

If you substitute "pounds" for "kilos", the associations will remain the same for people who use kilos, even though the amount of weight lost is almost the double!

My goal is to lose 2,7 pounds and it's not the easiest thing. Who would have such a goal in pounds? It's almost funny.
Painstakingly trying to measure weight loss is a bad idea.No
08-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Allot of fat people mistake temporary dehydration for actual weight loss. Exercise is important for weight loss. Cardio can decrese overall apetite and increase metabolism. It helps balance the body.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
12-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I am told I have an unhealthy prostate (sorry Ladies). The "cure" involves diet & exercise....and the resulting weight loss. I need to drop > 25 lbs; after the first month, I'm down 2 to 3. Don't know yet what will kill me first....prostate cancer or disappointment.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 2 users Like RaisdCath's post
12-10-2013, 01:48 PM
I think it is ok to be happy about 1lb loss, or 2lb loss, but only if you are consistently losing it, not at the beginning. Yes weight can fluctuate, so losing 2lbs right after starting a diet is nothing to get excited about. It's when you are seeing a consistent loss of 2lbs a week or so you can be proud of that number. I've lost 30lbs in the past three months. Every time I see that number drop a little more it feels good. At the beginning of my weight loss, I was dubious until it actually started adding up.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post