Some thoughts on weight loss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: Some thoughts on weight loss
eh it's not really about weight loss. It should be about getting healthy.
I mean if your weight stayed the same, than you could just cut 500 calories a day and you'd lose a pound a week.
500 calories isn't that much and so it's really easily doable.

The problem though is that part of that weight loss will be muscle as well as fat. So you're not really getting healthier.
Where as if you increase your exercise to include 500 calories a day worth of exercise, preferably something like running or jumping rope, that loss will be of a higher fat:muscle ratio than diet alone. You'll also strengthen and tone muscle which will improve that whole oxygen around the body system which will allow you to work out harder and lose weight faster. Side note, that pain you feel after an exercise is your muscles basically being damaged. It's the repair of this damage by your muscles that strengthen and tone them.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I eat tons and never seem to put any weight on. Get it up ye, ya bastards!

[Image: opforum1.png]
13-10-2013, 02:38 AM
(12-10-2013 02:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  eh it's not really about weight loss. It should be about getting healthy.
I mean if your weight stayed the same, than you could just cut 500 calories a day and you'd lose a pound a week.

The problem though is that part of that weight loss will be muscle as well as fat. So you're not really getting healthier.
Where as if you increase your exercise to include 500 calories a day worth of exercise, preferably something like running or jumping rope, that loss will be of a higher fat:muscle ratio than diet alone. You'll also strengthen and tone muscle which will improve that whole oxygen around the body system which will allow you to work out harder and lose weight faster. Side note, that pain you feel after an exercise is your muscles basically being damaged. It's the repair of this damage by your muscles that strengthen and tone them.

Scary shit.... the Muffin man knows something about exercise!

Collect your towel and thongs people... the world is ending!
Big Grin

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
13-10-2013, 02:47 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2013 02:18 PM by DeepThought.)
(12-10-2013 02:26 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I eat tons and never seem to put any weight on. Get it up ye, ya bastards!

I used to be like you, and I had so force myself to eat 10.5 megajoules a day. You need to find the right amout for you given your level of activity, etc. Changing what you eat can help.

Once you tweak that stuff it does get harder to scale back. There is nothing wrong with being skinny provided it's not an unhealthy skinny. I'm fairly bulky now and around 15 percent bodyfat. Exercise is important unless you want to become a lardass... then have at it!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
14-10-2013, 07:03 AM
(13-10-2013 02:38 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 02:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  eh it's not really about weight loss. It should be about getting healthy.

Scary shit.... the Muffin man knows something about exercise!

Collect your towel and thongs people... the world is ending!
Big Grin

What's so surprising about that?
I know a little about pretty much everything.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
14-10-2013, 10:45 AM
My cousin does a crazy diet every year in the spring. By that time hes close to 300lbs at only 5'8" (1.73m). He drops about 50lbs in 3 months. Ive never seen an obese person jog so far though. He jogs every day for over an hour, i dont know how his knees handle it. But still being 250 lbs, I find it hard to see much of a difference anywhere other than his face.

My brother @ 5'7" (1.7m?) lost about 45lb (about 20kg) over 4 months. But he was only about 200lbs to begin with, so the difference is just incredible (he's at 155lbs now). He cut all sugars, lowered carbs, and just works out using the basics (pushups, pullups, squats, situps) and bicycling.

I'm currently 175 lbs @ 5'9" (1.75m) and although a BMI chart would say I'm overweight, its probably just my muscle mass. My weight fluctuates between 172 and 177.
14-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah and to add to what muffs said about sore muscles. It gets better after a few weeks of maintained workouts. So if you get sore for two days from doing pushups, if you do them 3 days a week, after about 2 weeks you'll likely stop feeling sore. At least that's what ive found.
14-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Muscle also makes a big impact on weight. For example: I was about 8% body fat at 143 lbs when I started bodybuilding. About a year and a half later I was 15% body fat at 225 lbs. So I was considered obese by weight, and healthy by body fat level. I start to get flabby looking around 17%, and can see my abs below 13%.
14-10-2013, 11:07 AM
(12-10-2013 02:26 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I eat tons and never seem to put any weight on. Get it up ye, ya bastards!

My natural weight used to be 143lbs. I had to eat 8 full sized meals a day (over 4500 cals) to gain weight when I was bodybuilding. But the longer you stay at a certain weight, your body will shift your natural weight toward that. Its why people who have been fat for a long time find it difficult to maintain weight loss, while skinny people might find it difficult to gain weight. (Read a scientific study, I'm not just talking shit)
27-10-2013, 01:56 PM
As a yoof I was always whip thin. My old man would say I was like a greyhound. "All prick and rib." But in my early 30s I began to chunk up.

By March this year I clocked in at an impressive 121 kgs. I'm 193 cms tall but frankly I was wheezy bloater. Blush

My blood pressure was way over the top. Averaging at around 180/110. I went to my GP whining about it and she totally cracked the shits.

Lose 20 kgs or die of a stroke and/or a heart attack. Yeah bitch? No-one tells Max what to do. Angry

So I went and lost 40 kgs. I had dumped 28 kgs by June this year and at the start of September I had reached 81 kgs.

Now I have to run around in the shower to get wet. ^__^

When people ask I tell them it was a strict regime of crystal meth and coffee enemas but really it was diet and exercise. Cut my calorific intake by 2/3, low fat (no not for cholesterol), no added sugar, a preponderance of fruit and vegetables and a moderate quantity of lean meat, fish and complex carbohydrates.

Exercise? A vigorous 60 minute walk once a day and some time on an exercise bike.

Basically burn more than you consume. But remember the sugar. Sugar raises insulin levels and is involved in fat storage. Get used to Splenda.

Personally I didn't find it hard (except giving up bacon, delishus bacon) however that's just me. I do appreciate that others struggle and any amount of weight loss is an achievement. Losing 10% of your body mass will improve your health prospects in vast terms.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
[+] 1 user Likes nooneofconsequence's post