Some truth in mythology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Some truth in mythology
This is about the Adam and Eve tale. It's not an argument for or against religion so I figured I'd put it here rather than the atheism theism section.
So they eat the forbidden fruit and god kicks them out of Eden to toil the rest if their days. Could this be a kind of metaphor for our transition from hunter gatherers to farmers?
Obviously we began farming long before we started writing things down but it's possible that the story was told and corrupted over generations.
The tree of knowledge of good and evil (never thought that name flowed. It's too much) in my little dream here is the knowledge of agriculture. The "good and evil" would be one of those corrupted parts.
Eden is the "garden" where we gathered our food before we learned to farm (and I'm now wondering if wearing clothing factors in there somewhere).
One might say that the farming lifestyle is superior to the hunter gatherer lifestyle. Why would Eden be better than the alternative in the story? It seems to me the answer could be that we tend to glorify the past.
Do I have something here or am I a fucknut?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
20-06-2014, 08:44 AM
RE: Some truth in mythology
I'm gonna have to disagree. If this were so, it wouldn't have the part about Adam and Eve covering themselves up in shame or whatever, then YHWH making clothes for them before kicking them out. Besides, do they ever eat in the garden? I don't recall any passage like that.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
20-06-2014, 09:11 AM
(20-06-2014 08:44 AM)One Above All Wrote:  I'm gonna have to disagree. If this were so, it wouldn't have the part about Adam and Eve covering themselves up in shame or whatever, then YHWH making clothes for them before kicking them out. Besides, do they ever eat in the garden? I don't recall any passage like that.
But what you point out could be a result of the corruption I mentioned. It could be that the story was mixed with another or that parts were added or taken away. Kinda like the telephone game.
I'm not saying that the story is true I'm just wondering if parts of the story comes from the transition I mentioned.
20-06-2014, 09:17 AM
(20-06-2014 09:11 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But what you point out could be a result of the corruption I mentioned. It could be that the story was mixed with another or that parts were added or taken away. Kinda like the telephone game.
I'm not saying that the story is true I'm just wondering if parts of the story comes from the transition I mentioned.

I'm still gonna go with no. Christianity was founded/made up long after we'd invented written language. In fact, most religions were founded/made up after written language.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
20-06-2014, 09:23 AM
I see what you're getting at... there is some sort of rationale to the hypothesis.

But please allow me to tweak it slightly...

The story-book version of Eden that I was taught had the garden as some kind of Narnia with talking, friendly animals and such.

So, presumably, Mom and Pop humans ate i.e. gathered, fruit and berries and nuts (or chewed weed, I dunno).

It makes more sense then, that the transition was from gatherers to hunter-gatherers and the nice friendly animals' insides now became a food source and their outsides became haute couture for when it got a bit nippy at night.

Farming would have been a later progression... probably only made possible due to the advanced irrigation systems facilitated by the flood.

Yes

20-06-2014, 09:31 AM
(20-06-2014 09:17 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(20-06-2014 09:11 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But what you point out could be a result of the corruption I mentioned. It could be that the story was mixed with another or that parts were added or taken away. Kinda like the telephone game.

I'm still gonna go with no. Christianity was founded/made up long after we'd invented written language. In fact, most religions were founded/made up after written language.
Christianity was made up long after but these stories are Jewish mythology. Judaism is probably younger too but the stories or their roots could be conceivably much older.
20-06-2014, 09:33 AM
(20-06-2014 08:35 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ---
Do I have something here or am I a fucknut?

Interacting with art is a fairly complex thought process. I like it when people get creative with literature; it reflects the complexity of the piece and the experience to be gained.

I think the direction you are going and what you have come up with is quite nice; trying to relate myth to something which makes sense to you. You might actually be a fucknut but I usually only reserve a secret like that for people I know well and like. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-06-2014, 09:42 AM
(20-06-2014 09:31 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Christianity was made up long after but these stories are Jewish mythology. Judaism is probably younger too but the stories or their roots could be conceivably much older.

Then why wouldn't they have been written down as soon as we had written language? These seem like important stories to be written down. In fact, if you recall, the first printed book was the Bible.

20-06-2014, 09:53 AM
(20-06-2014 09:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I see what you're getting at... there is some sort of rationale to the hypothesis.

But please allow me to tweak it slightly...

The story-book version of Eden that I was taught had the garden as some kind of Narnia with talking, friendly animals and such.

So, presumably, Mom and Pop humans ate i.e. gathered, fruit and berries and nuts (or chewed weed, I dunno).

It makes more sense then, that the transition was from gatherers to hunter-gatherers and the nice friendly animals' insides now became a food source and their outsides became haute couture for when it got a bit nippy at night.

Farming would have been a later progression... probably only made possible due to the advanced irrigation systems facilitated by the flood.

Yes
I was following you until you brought the flood into it. Sadly I'm not smart enough to know if I should take you seriously or if you are making fun of me...
Either is fine really. I don't mind laughing at myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
20-06-2014, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2014 09:58 AM by kim.)
(20-06-2014 09:42 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(20-06-2014 09:31 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Christianity was made up long after but these stories are Jewish mythology. Judaism is probably younger too but the stories or their roots could be conceivably much older.

Then why wouldn't they have been written down as soon as we had written language? These seem like important stories to be written down. In fact, if you recall, the first printed book was the Bible.

Until things began to be recorded, oral histories were kept. Stories could have been bandied about for a few centuries before finally being written down.

Look at Shakespeare's works... he was a great writer but many of his stories were around long before he wrote them down perfected them.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein