Some truth in mythology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2014, 09:57 AM
RE: Some truth in mythology
I could list off a whole bunch of animals that would fit the area of mythology.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2014, 10:14 AM
(20-06-2014 09:33 AM)kim Wrote:  
(20-06-2014 08:35 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ---
Do I have something here or am I a fucknut?

Interacting with art is a fairly complex thought process. I like it when people get creative with literature; it reflects the complexity of the piece and the experience to be gained.

I think the direction you are going and what you have come up with is quite nice; trying to relate myth to something which makes sense to you. You might actually be a fucknut but I usually only reserve a secret like that for people I know well and like. Shy
Thanks..... I think.
20-06-2014, 10:14 AM
(20-06-2014 09:57 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I could list off a whole bunch of animals that would fit the area of mythology.

I bet you could.

Please check first with DeepThought or Dark Light to ensure we have sufficient server capacity.

Thanks

20-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Re: RE: Some truth in mythology
(20-06-2014 09:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I see what you're getting at... there is some sort of rationale to the hypothesis.

But please allow me to tweak it slightly...

The story-book version of Eden that I was taught had the garden as some kind of Narnia with talking, friendly animals and such.

So, presumably, Mom and Pop humans ate i.e. gathered, fruit and berries and nuts (or chewed weed, I dunno).

It makes more sense then, that the transition was from gatherers to hunter-gatherers and the nice friendly animals' insides now became a food source and their outsides became haute couture for when it got a bit nippy at night.

Farming would have been a later progression... probably only made possible due to the advanced irrigation systems facilitated by the flood.

Yes

Well doesn't it say Adam will have to toil the land as punishment for his sin? Or maybe that's only in paradise Lost, a better version of the story.

I think it's a stretch though to think the Jewish people writing it we're actively making that human historical connection. Unless the story elements went far back. Kinda reasonable they would idolize gathering as culturally those groups had some benefits, though we're smaller in size and nomadic.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-06-2014, 10:58 AM
(20-06-2014 08:35 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  This is about the Adam and Eve tale. It's not an argument for or against religion so I figured I'd put it here rather than the atheism theism section.
So they eat the forbidden fruit and god kicks them out of Eden to toil the rest if their days. Could this be a kind of metaphor for our transition from hunter gatherers to farmers?

And the reason we started farming was so we could make booze... which comes from fermented grain or fruit... fruit... fruit of the forbidden tree. Huh? Huh?

Yeah, even then, I still feel it's a stretch. Still, I like the idea that the Jonah tale is just a messed up version of a story about a dude who gets eaten by a shark, which turns into "but he got better", and eventually into "and he didn't even get hurt!".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
20-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Cain and Abel, now, that one's probably an allegory about changing lifestyles.

Agriculture was old hat by the time the Israelites settled down, but they were just the latest in a long line of pastoral raiding Semitic peoples to move north and settle in the fertile crescent (like the Akkadians, Amorites, and Arameans).

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
20-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Adam/Eve/God
At a certain age, you will annoy your parents. They want you to leave home but they want you to think it is your idea to do so. Leaving home may be emotionally difficult.
It is often essential to destroy what cushy life and preconceived notions one has, in order to move on and properly experience living.
The end.
--
My version of the bible would cut through the superfluous crap, be fairly painless, and easily read on the toilet. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-06-2014, 06:12 PM
(20-06-2014 11:32 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Cain and Abel, now, that one's probably an allegory about changing lifestyles.

Agriculture was old hat by the time the Israelites settled down, but they were just the latest in a long line of pastoral raiding Semitic peoples to move north and settle in the fertile crescent (like the Akkadians, Amorites, and Arameans).

Of course it's mythological. To modern people that means "well, then it's not *true*". In fact "mythology" was the way the ancients imparted what they considered as "truth". Only in Simple-Minded-Fundie-land has that been lost. The garden myth was taken from the Babylonian creation myth system, (the Enuma Elis(h). It's about (and the Babylonians were also fascinated with) "chaos vs order". Many of the lines in Genesis are direct quotes from the Babylonian myths.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look
Even very well respected (albight "liberal" Christan scholars use the same concept when speaking of the "Jesus mythology", (see Rudolph Bultmann's Jesus Christ and Mythology"). It's seriously amazing the only things most people ever know about religion comes from the likes of the ignorant Fundamentalist Germey Wankers of the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Bultmann

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.