Somebody calm me down

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2014, 05:21 AM
Somebody calm me down
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...57788.html

So apparently the reason given by UK Public for the bible coming first was because it gives "guidelines on how to be a decent human being" lol.

I can't believe people would be so stupid, what the fuck???? How insulting is it to us as fellow human beings to be told we NEED to be told how to lead a moral life.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
13-11-2014, 07:26 AM
RE: Somebody calm me down
Quote:The Bible, which edged narrowly ahead of Darwin's text, was chosen by the British public because it 'contains guidelines on how to be a good person'

Conclusion:

37% of the British public haven't read it.

Drinking Beverage

Second thoughts:

Maybe they have and it's a guidebook for what not to do.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-11-2014, 07:38 AM
the results might have been more meaningful if question #1 was " have you all of these books in their entirety?" or "you can only name books that you have actually read in its entirety."

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
13-11-2014, 07:41 AM
They had books in there like Kurt Vonnegut?? I guarantee that most of the voting was "Shit, I've heard of this book before so I'm gonna vote for it". I'll betcha if they'd included 50 shades of grey in there it woulda beaten the bible. No matter what they *say*, I think their poll probably measured market penetration more than value as literature.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
13-11-2014, 08:22 AM
(13-11-2014 07:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  They had books in there like Kurt Vonnegut?? I guarantee that most of the voting was "Shit, I've heard of this book before so I'm gonna vote for it". I'll betcha if they'd included 50 shades of grey in there it woulda beaten the bible. No matter what they *say*, I think their poll probably measured market penetration more than value as literature.

Laugh out load he said penetration

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 10 users Like Nurse's post
13-11-2014, 08:26 AM
(13-11-2014 08:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(13-11-2014 07:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  They had books in there like Kurt Vonnegut?? I guarantee that most of the voting was "Shit, I've heard of this book before so I'm gonna vote for it". I'll betcha if they'd included 50 shades of grey in there it woulda beaten the bible. No matter what they *say*, I think their poll probably measured market penetration more than value as literature.

Laugh out load he said penetration

Some have greatness... thrust... upon them Tongue

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
13-11-2014, 08:36 AM
(13-11-2014 08:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-11-2014 08:22 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Laugh out load he said penetration

Some have greatness... thrust... upon them Tongue

penetration and then "thrust"...you couldn't let it go could you? Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
13-11-2014, 08:48 AM
It fits polls of the past.

In other UK studies I recall them asking why people label themselves as christian. It wasn't always because they believe in god, a strong percentage of people felt they were christian because they thought of themselves as good people. It's just some bizarre moral principal value that they think it offers. I've seen it in otherplaces too; it was apart of the debate Christopher Hitchens had against his brother too. Of course the actual texts aid none of that and aren't moral codes that make any sense.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-11-2014, 09:17 AM
(13-11-2014 08:48 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It fits polls of the past.

In other UK studies I recall them asking why people label themselves as christian. It wasn't always because they believe in god, a strong percentage of people felt they were christian because they thought of themselves as good people. It's just some bizarre moral principal value that they think it offers. I've seen it in otherplaces too; it was apart of the debate Christopher Hitchens had against his brother too. Of course the actual texts aid none of that and aren't moral codes that make any sense.

This is what I hate too in England!! What I've noticed is that most people discuss religion as a synonym for "peace". I remember in primary school (church of England) it was drilled into us about all religions and I remember once having the preconception that religious people were peaceful people.

The population is not encouraged to dig deeper into scripture and think for themselves. Instead they are told what different religions read and who they follow, and that they are peaceful people.

I often get into bickers with friends at uni where they seem to think that because the majority of them agree on something and disagree with me, that they are right. I got laughed at by about 4 friends for saying that atheism isn't the belief that god exist, it's merely unbelief. LAUGHED AT!!! Even one my tutors had an argument with me trying to tell me that atheism is a religion and Richard Dawkins has a cult following. SHE HOLDS A PHD IN ANTHROPOLOGY!!! Why do the populus fucking suck dick. (Sorry this has gone into the ranting corner context now lol)

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 4 users Like SunnyD1's post
13-11-2014, 09:25 AM
(13-11-2014 09:17 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I often get into bickers with friends at uni where they seem to think that because the majority of them agree on something and disagree with me, that they are right. I got laughed at by about 4 friends for saying that atheism isn't the belief that god exist, it's merely unbelief. LAUGHED AT!!! Even one my tutors had an argument with me trying to tell me that atheism is a religion and Richard Dawkins has a cult following. SHE HOLDS A PHD IN ANTHROPOLOGY!!! Why do the populus fucking suck dick. (Sorry this has gone into the ranting corner context now lol)

Egad! Laughed at you say??? Why that's positively not cricket. Acricket, one might say...

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post