Somehing Christians Should NEVER EVER EVER Use For Proof

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM
RE: Somehing Christians Should NEVER EVER EVER Use For Proof
(06-05-2013 02:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 02:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  They have no gospel truth? Neither do you. You have the bible, they have the Qua'ran. Same thing, different language.
Seriously? You see no difference between a guy being crucified and forgiving his crucifiers, and another guy killing all infidels? They are polar opposites.
The events are different, yes. But that doesn't mean either of them are "truth."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
(06-05-2013 04:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Double post

This way I can like it twice. You tell'em! Big Grin

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
(06-05-2013 04:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 02:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  This is an unfair and hypocritical assessment for any man. A man simply asks why someone else believes a certain way, and he is counted as having his eyes and ears shut?

Don't forget his mind, he keeps that closed too.

Perhaps unfair, certainly not hypocritical. I should have said "...the believers want to keep their eyes, ears and minds steadfastly shut."

There may come a day when the prepondance of evidence and lack thereof will tip the scales in a believers mind as it did in mine...or maybe not. It all depends on the individual and their circumstances. I have yet to encounter any theist but one that comes to this board that is unsure of their beliefs and is looking for honest dialogue. The ones who come here, from what I have seen, you among them, fall into the category of standard bearer. Sure and cocky of their dogmas and scriptures; here to score a few points, practice debating skills, witness or looking to convert one ot two to their belief system.

The reason I respond is not because I want to deconvert you or show the the way the truth and the light, (remember you came here on your own volition) it is because others that come to this forum, members or lurkers, need to hear the scientific, observable and tested challanges to your delusions, make-believe and wish-thinking. Some on this board are infinitely better prepared than I. Students of nearly every scientific discipline you can name and, in some cases, intimately knowledgeable about Christian scripture and history, frequent this forum. It might be interesting for you to develop an honest dialogue with some of them.

Do you take the time to develop some kind of common ground or understanding of who is here and why? No you do not. You show up guns blazing and hope your shotgun approach sticks to something, meanwhile the whole approach is impersonal, combatitive and full of holier-than-thou attitude. It is an egotistical approach at best and it is highly resented. I can't stress that last sentiment enough.
Dude, all I said is Love rules.
06-05-2013, 06:10 PM
(06-05-2013 04:17 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 02:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  Seriously? You see no difference between a guy being crucified and forgiving his crucifiers, and another guy killing all infidels? They are polar opposites.
The events are different, yes. But that doesn't mean either of them are "truth."
The whole scenario is a self evident display of the difference between Love and religion. There is Truth there.
06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
(06-05-2013 07:15 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I've seen a listing of over 300 prophecies of Jesus's first advent fulfilled. You can start here:

http://www.christsavesministries.org/ind...sf=vw&id=5

Did you miss the point of this thread, made elegantly in the first post? These prophecies are such fine examples of writing the story of Jesus in such a way that it "fulfills" earlier prophecy.

To take one example from that list, "He shall be called Immanuel". He wasn't. Yes, there is a verse in which the angel tells Joseph that Jesus shall be called Emmanuel, but have you noticed that Jesus never gets called Emmanuel? He was named Jesus, and at literally every point after that he was called something other than Emmanuel. That particular NT verse sounds like the author realized that Jesus had to be called Emmanuel to fulfill prophecy and, realizing that this hadn't actually come true, stuck in a verse that attempted to make it true.

As the atheist author Christopher Hitchens said, "If it seems strange that Jesus should do particular things simply to fulfill prophecy, that's because it is strange." When the New Testament says things like "...this was done in order to fulfill the prophecy" said in such and such a place in the Old Testament, that sounds to a skeptic like it was added to the story of Jesus exactly for that purpose.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
06-05-2013, 06:47 PM
(06-05-2013 06:16 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:15 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I've seen a listing of over 300 prophecies of Jesus's first advent fulfilled. You can start here:

http://www.christsavesministries.org/ind...sf=vw&id=5

Did you miss the point of this thread, made elegantly in the first post? These prophecies are such fine examples of writing the story of Jesus in such a way that it "fulfills" earlier prophecy.

To take one example from that list, "He shall be called Immanuel". He wasn't. Yes, there is a verse in which the angel tells Joseph that Jesus shall be called Emmanuel, but have you noticed that Jesus never gets called Emmanuel? He was named Jesus, and at literally every point after that he was called something other than Emmanuel. That particular NT verse sounds like the author realized that Jesus had to be called Emmanuel to fulfill prophecy and, realizing that this hadn't actually come true, stuck in a verse that attempted to make it true.

As the atheist author Christopher Hitchens said, "If it seems strange that Jesus should do particular things simply to fulfill prophecy, that's because it is strange." When the New Testament says things like "...this was done in order to fulfill the prophecy" said in such and such a place in the Old Testament, that sounds to a skeptic like it was added to the story of Jesus exactly for that purpose.
People say Jesus is God with us all the time.
06-05-2013, 06:59 PM
(06-05-2013 06:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 04:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Don't forget his mind, he keeps that closed too.

Perhaps unfair, certainly not hypocritical. I should have said "...the believers want to keep their eyes, ears and minds steadfastly shut."

There may come a day when the prepondance of evidence and lack thereof will tip the scales in a believers mind as it did in mine...or maybe not. It all depends on the individual and their circumstances. I have yet to encounter any theist but one that comes to this board that is unsure of their beliefs and is looking for honest dialogue. The ones who come here, from what I have seen, you among them, fall into the category of standard bearer. Sure and cocky of their dogmas and scriptures; here to score a few points, practice debating skills, witness or looking to convert one ot two to their belief system.

The reason I respond is not because I want to deconvert you or show the the way the truth and the light, (remember you came here on your own volition) it is because others that come to this forum, members or lurkers, need to hear the scientific, observable and tested challanges to your delusions, make-believe and wish-thinking. Some on this board are infinitely better prepared than I. Students of nearly every scientific discipline you can name and, in some cases, intimately knowledgeable about Christian scripture and history, frequent this forum. It might be interesting for you to develop an honest dialogue with some of them.

Do you take the time to develop some kind of common ground or understanding of who is here and why? No you do not. You show up guns blazing and hope your shotgun approach sticks to something, meanwhile the whole approach is impersonal, combatitive and full of holier-than-thou attitude. It is an egotistical approach at best and it is highly resented. I can't stress that last sentiment enough.
Dude, all I said is Love rules.

Bro, all I ever said is love doesn't require god.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-05-2013, 07:47 PM
(06-05-2013 06:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 06:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Dude, all I said is Love rules.

Bro, all I ever said is love doesn't require god.
God rules, Love rules. They are one and the same. You simply have a prejudice against the term God because of religion.
06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
SexuallyPleasingJebus, and now Childish said the EXACT day of the crucifiction was prophesied. Neither of them said where, when or what day it was. Obviously they have no clue. They talk out their arses. They make up shit. So what is the "perfectly reasonable explanation" for the fact that the gospels disagree on the day Jebus died. Also the time of day. Obviously they were cooked up. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-05-2013, 09:25 PM
(06-05-2013 07:47 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 06:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Bro, all I ever said is love doesn't require god.
God rules, Love rules. They are one and the same. You simply have a prejudice against the term God because of religion.

More gibberish.
You make up these word salads as you go.
Unfounded accusations in an attempt to go on the offensive.

Let me say this again, its quite a simple concept really...

Love doesn't require gods. I'll go further and say neither does empathy, truth, morals or anything else deemed "good".

You are guilty of attempting to hijack innate human emotions and prescribing them to imaginary delusions.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce