Someone who denies God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Someone who denies God.
(07-07-2015 09:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-06-2015 09:41 AM)epronovost Wrote:  So you say God is good and has a good nature, but I have to tell you what good is? If you don't know what good is, how can you say God is good and has a good nature? You still didn't answer the question. Since it’s the fifth time or so I asked you why you thought God was good and you still didn’t told me why, I am starting to consider you are afraid to answer the question honestly because you think I might found the reason invalid or stupid. My opinion on your potential reason should be unimportant to you. Don’t try to please me or impress me or gain any form of extra ration of respect from me. I ask you for your opinion on a subject that has very little impact on me out of intellectual curiosity. The nature of God (good, evil or anything in between) won’t make him more or less real for me. I will still be an atheist and you will still be a faithful. I might give you my opinion on the subject once you explained me yours if it interest you, but for now I would like to hear you on that subject. How and why can we say that God is good?

All,

God is good because he judges fairly and impartially, offers His love to all, even the most vile persons, saves us and redeems those who trust in Him, changing their lives here and now and in the next world, etc. I can think of dozens of reasons, but the fact remains--for you or I to define God as good, bad or in-between will require some basic definitions, e.g. what is "good".

I would say a just person is good. I would say a just and wise parent sometimes causes deliberate suffering in a child's life--"Do your homework, clean your room, brush your teeth before you play hopscotch outside". Some atheists here feel all suffering is evil. So they would say both God is evil AND most parents are evil. How can we discuss terms when those kinds of definitions are held by atheists? I don't think we can...

Quote: God is good because he judges fairly and impartially, offers His love to all, even the most vile persons,

Well.........except for the millions upon millions of people he kills in the Bubble 'cause they don't worship him the way he wants.

When someone offers their love and the love isn't returned, a decent, respectful person does NOT go and murder the person whose uninterested in the relationship. We put people like that in prison for life or they're put to death in the electric chair.

Your mythical, storyland god a dickwad.

Actually, if you read my Shakespeare Insult # 13 below, this pretty much describes your god.

vvvvvv

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-07-2015, 09:58 AM
(07-07-2015 09:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

God is good because he judges fairly and impartially, offers His love to all, even the most vile persons, saves us and redeems those who trust in Him, changing their lives here and now and in the next world, etc. I can think of dozens of reasons, but the fact remains--for you or I to define God as good, bad or in-between will require some basic definitions, e.g. what is "good".

You can define god any way you like; just produce evidence that your definition is correct.

Quote:I would say a just person is good. I would say a just and wise parent sometimes causes deliberate suffering in a child's life--"Do your homework, clean your room, brush your teeth before you play hopscotch outside". Some atheists here feel all suffering is evil. So they would say both God is evil AND most parents are evil. How can we discuss terms when those kinds of definitions are held by atheists? I don't think we can...

"Do your homework", "Brush your teeth" aren't suffering, you disingenuous twat.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-07-2015, 10:20 AM
(07-07-2015 09:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I would say a just person is good. I would say a just and wise parent sometimes causes deliberate suffering in a child's life--"Do your homework, clean your room, brush your teeth before you play hopscotch outside". Some atheists here feel all suffering is evil. So they would say both God is evil AND most parents are evil. How can we discuss terms when those kinds of definitions are held by atheists? I don't think we can...

If the gods can be judged to be good, then the standard is external to them, and always was. Reality therefore has always been larger than your cute little deity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma

Um, okay. What external standard(s) would you tout as good/evil? Once we define terms, we can move on to judge the gods and persons of your choice...

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
08-07-2015, 10:23 AM
(07-07-2015 11:02 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Quote: God is good because he judges fairly and impartially, offers His love to all, even the most vile persons,

Well.........except for the millions upon millions of people he kills in the Bubble 'cause they don't worship him the way he wants.

When someone offers their love and the love isn't returned, a decent, respectful person does NOT go and murder the person whose uninterested in the relationship. We put people like that in prison for life or they're put to death in the electric chair.

Your mythical, storyland god a dickwad.

Actually, if you read my Shakespeare Insult # 13 below, this pretty much describes your god.

vvvvvv

I agree! Your statement is correct:

When someone offers their love and the love isn't returned, a decent, respectful person does NOT go and murder the person whose uninterested in the relationship.

Then you beg your own question by immediately continuing:

We put people like that in prison for life or they're put to death in the electric chair.

...forgetting that a subset of people put in prison don't want a relationship, too.

So, I'll ask you... what sort of prison should die now or die in prison or be exonerated to live a long, happy life? Then we can better judge God for judging others... define terms. Be consistent.

Thanks!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
08-07-2015, 10:24 AM
(08-07-2015 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  

You can define god any way you like; just produce evidence that your definition is correct.

Quote:I would say a just person is good. I would say a just and wise parent sometimes causes deliberate suffering in a child's life--"Do your homework, clean your room, brush your teeth before you play hopscotch outside". Some atheists here feel all suffering is evil. So they would say both God is evil AND most parents are evil. How can we discuss terms when those kinds of definitions are held by atheists? I don't think we can...

Funny, but when I ask TTA members to define suffering, they can't quite seem to, or when I ask them to define unjust suffering... perhaps you can do so without merely resorting to statements like "brush your teeth isn't it"...

Go for it! Because I suffer to read your comments, yet you both impose them on me and then say causing others to suffer is unjust (as you judge God doing so)! Be specific... Drinking Beverage

08-07-2015, 10:38 AM
(08-07-2015 10:24 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Funny, but when I ask TTA members to define suffering, they can't quite seem to, or when I ask them to define unjust suffering...

Well I have cancer. Where would you like me to begin?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
08-07-2015, 11:03 AM
I've had cancer and am currently trying to pass a kidney stone.

Oh, and my first husband died in a car crash...I, and my older daughter, have come to terms with it but my younger daughter still anguishes.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-07-2015, 11:08 AM
(08-07-2015 11:03 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I've had cancer and am currently trying to pass a kidney stone.

Oh, and my first husband died in a car crash...I, and my older daughter, have come to terms with it but my younger daughter still anguishes.

Yeah. Bring it on Q.

We, all of us on this earth are human, all suffer and love and live. Regardless of any gods.

Bring it on!

Oh and by the way, I love and wish all the best to Angel. Better known as Anjele.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-07-2015, 12:34 PM
(08-07-2015 10:24 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  You can define god any way you like; just produce evidence that your definition is correct.

Funny, but when I ask TTA members to define suffering, they can't quite seem to, or when I ask them to define unjust suffering... perhaps you can do so without merely resorting to statements like "brush your teeth isn't it"...

Go for it! Because I suffer to read your comments, yet you both impose them on me and then say causing others to suffer is unjust (as you judge God doing so)! Be specific... Drinking Beverage

Here's a clue: You are causing your own suffering by reading the comments. You don't have to read them. Some people have experienced *real* suffering (see Banjo and Anjele, above). Equating your reading comments with true inescapable, externally imposed, physical ailments demonstrates once again the depths of your narcissism. Oh, how you must have suffered while reading! Give me a fucking break!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
08-07-2015, 03:22 PM
(08-07-2015 10:24 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  You can define god any way you like; just produce evidence that your definition is correct.

Quote: define unjust suffering

See Banjo and Anjele posts.

Children suffering.

[Image: Tsunami_Lasting_Images_Aceh_Memories.JPEG-01822.JPG.jpg]

[Image: kevin-carter-vulture.jpg]

And you say god exists.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.