Something I've Noticed When Debating Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Something I've Noticed When Debating Theists
I was having an argument with a person on the video that showed a sterotype Muslim dress up, dropping a package and shouting 'Allah Akbar' or something like that.
Another everyday guy dressed up normal like dropped the same thing and said 'Praise Jesus'

Needless to say I have no soul and I found this to be funny. The comments even more funny.

But I've noticed with both sides of Muslim and Christians, they have a 'Cherry Picking Horrible Religions Texts' battle. Taking quotes from both books and showing how horrible they are, taking things out of context and all that shabang.

But I've notice this trend of cherry picking as have others. Only this cherry picking is all horrible parts. Which there are really horrible things in the bible and Quran. I never seem to hear anything about this kind of Cherry Picking.
It's also rather fun to act childish on youtube with people like this as its all 'nahnah can't top that' sort of thing. And Yes I have been guilty of jokingly doing this also, because there is no way to win a youtube argument so have some fun in my opinion (I have no heart Big Grin )

So why is everyone can name every Muslim terrorist group, but can claim christian terrorist groups are not 'real' Christians. Isn't this the same argument? Not all Muslim terrorist follow the Quran, so they are not 'real' Muslims right?
But they claim they are Muslims and cherry pick verses from the Quran to prove it.

Okay that's all good and well, but Christian Terrorist are real Christians and here are verses to prove it (I'm fairly sure everyone here has read the verses I'd post so I wont' bother.)

I've noticed these trend for a while now, but it seems like I've not found one video talking about this or even pointing it out. Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
10-02-2017, 11:07 PM
RE: Something I've Noticed When Debating Theists
It all depends on perspective. E.G. I consider the US a rogue terrorist nation state. My ally. So I too must be connected to "terror".

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-02-2017, 11:24 PM
'I consider the Us a rouge terrorist nation state'

You make a fair point, but this one line made me laugh a bit, sorry *Sheepish smile*

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
11-02-2017, 01:23 AM
Yup, if you follow the bible accurately, or the Quran you would be a terrorist. The real radicals are the "moderates"; the ones who manage to ignore almost all of their book and pretend it just says nice things.

Here's my take: religion is all made up. There are no "real" Christians or Muslims, or whatever. If you say you're a Christian, you're a Christian. No human has the authority to say someone else isn't a particular religion. Of course, your particular version of the religion may not be at all like other peoples'. That's the nature of religion, since none of it is based on reality.

But the bottom line is this: it's extremely easy to justify acts of terror using either the bible or the Quran. And everyone who continues the myth that these books are somehow "the word of God" is supporting the credibility of such positions.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
11-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Hmm... how many resident theists are there here?

Admittedly I've only just returned, but it feels like there is a lot less than I was used to at the previous forum. I'm not complaining, most of them were intolerable and I had them on ignore anyway. Just interested!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
11-02-2017, 09:29 PM
(11-02-2017 09:25 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Hmm... how many resident theists are there here?

Admittedly I've only just returned, but it feels like there is a lot less than I was used to at the previous forum. I'm not complaining, most of them were intolerable and I had them on ignore anyway. Just interested!

There's a couple of nice ones who IMO frankly are too smart and should know better.

There are idiots. Of course. Conspiracy theorists.

We had one, Tomasia who slandered me badly. I threatened to sue him. He's not shown his face. If he does I am going through with it. I already spoke to a mate who is a lawyer. Apparently I have good grounds.

Some are arseholes. But then I'm an Aussie, so who am I to complain. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-02-2017, 09:44 PM
I see, thanks Smile

Wow! None of the ones I've dealt with on the other forum did anything as bad as that. Actually... one of them did, now I think about it. I could have maybe sued that arse hole too. I won't bring up the details, but he accused me of some shocking stuff based on nothing.

I'm glad there's some nice ones. There were a few I got on with on the other forum. We got large numbers of hit and run theists, who posted a massive walk of text and then fucked off again.

12-02-2017, 01:14 AM
I consider myself more of a Desist view on God.

Agnostic Atheist by default, the evidence at hand say there is no God. However if their is a God, I'd go with a Desist point of view on him, too over powered for humans to comprehend.

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
12-02-2017, 01:25 AM
(12-02-2017 01:14 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I consider myself more of a Desist view on God.

Agnostic Atheist by default, the evidence at hand say there is no God. However if their is a God, I'd go with a Desist point of view on him, too over powered for humans to comprehend.

Fair 'nuff.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-02-2017, 07:54 AM
(12-02-2017 01:14 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I consider myself more of a Desist view on God.

Of course a theist making the god claim should be able to provide reasonable details on this god's characteristics such as:

1. Does this god even know or care about our existence?

2. Does this god's power entail having control over our consciousness after we die?

3. Does this god have any interest in continuing out mortal existence after we die?

4. Does this god have any control over the world's affairs?

Then we get back to the question about evidence, how would anyone know that these are characteristics about their god?

So even if they could provide evidence for a god, they would still have a stack of claims that they would have to provide evidence for. If the answer to any of the first three questions is no, then this god is basically irrelevant to the individual.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition