Something my sports forum does that is neato.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Something my sports forum does that is neato.
On my sports betting forum, if you hold the mouse over the thread title (or near it), the first paragraph or so of the thread pops up for you to read. This is very convenient for determining if the thread is worth clicking or just to figure out the content of ambiguous thread titles.

Would this be possible and would anyone else prefer it?

Here's what I'm talking about.

[Image: Untitled.png]

Right above "Teabag your friend's grandmothers..." I'm hovering the mouse over the South Florida +135 thread (though my mouse icon isn't shown for some reason) and a little box pops up with the thread's contents.

Can we do this?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2012, 02:00 AM
RE: Something my sports forum does that is neato.
Ah yes, the rollover preview. That's a common feature on many forums. I'm not familiar with this type of forum format or what software it is, but it can be done if someone wants to.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
16-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Thats pretty cool, though this forum software doesn't support it without a plugin unless I wait for a later version.

I have been eyeing this plugin though: http://mods.mybb.com/view/unwanted-forum-search

I need to be careful with these since they can open potential security vulnerabilities and depending on how they work they can affect server load as well.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
16-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I like the forum preview on rollover, it's all futuristic.

Deep, that mod you are looking at will address earlier requests by some members. I say go for it so long as it doesn't bog us down any. I wouldn't use it but I know there are people who would.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Every other forum I frequent has this feature.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
22-03-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't see why how it could create security holes considering you are already grabbing the title of the post from the database row's title. All you would be doing is grabbing the content text from the same row as the form of a mouseover or title o.O

Though im not familiar with mybb and its functions so I don't know how the addons work, I use vBulletin.

Justin
22-03-2012, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 10:07 PM by DeepThought.)
(22-03-2012 09:06 PM)Kinger Wrote:  I don't see why how it could create security holes considering you are already grabbing the title of the post from the database row's title. All you would be doing is grabbing the content text from the same row as the form of a mouseover or title o.O

Though im not familiar with mybb and its functions so I don't know how the addons work, I use vBulletin.

I didn't say it would. I said I check forum plugins and the code since they are written by various authors and not subject to as much rigorous testing.

In this case the plugin doesn't take input from users. A plugin that parses the first message in every thread might be processor intensive depending on how it's done.

If I wrote it I would store a snippet of the first post in the threads table so there is no extra work required doing lookups on the posts table when displaying a forum or search results. (also requires an extra hook in case the first post is edited)

The MyBB plugin/hooks system is pretty decent.. I'd need to intercept:
post edits - to update the generated post preview if it's the first post in a thread.
thread creation - to parse the submitted post and generate a preview to store in the threads table.
forum view requests - to supply the thread preview strings in variable x.
search requests - supply thread preview when searching in 'thread view' mode

The remaining hooks are for installation of config options, altering page templates, altering the threads table and automating install/uninstall, activation/deactivation.

I understand how the software works so your preaching to the choir. I was talking about the plugins in general.
Also as far as I'm aware such a plugin doesn't exist yet for MyBB. I checked.. If you want to write it go ahead though Tongue

I'll check over the code and if it's good I'll use it.

I'm not considering changing forum software since it's a freakin nightmare to change. MyBB is pretty fast, and does what's needed for the most part.
Also V Bulletin is commercial so that puts me off right away. No way am I spending time on that!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
22-03-2012, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 10:31 PM by Kinger.)
(22-03-2012 09:55 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(22-03-2012 09:06 PM)Kinger Wrote:  I don't see why how it could create security holes considering you are already grabbing the title of the post from the database row's title. All you would be doing is grabbing the content text from the same row as the form of a mouseover or title o.O

I didn't say it would. I said I check forum plugins and the code since they are written by various authors and not subject to as much rigorous testing.

In this case the plugin doesn't take input from users. A plugin that parses the first message in every thread might be processor intensive depending on how it's done.

If I wrote it I would store a snippet of the first post in the threads table so there is no extra work required doing lookups on the posts table when displaying a forum or search results. (also requires an extra hook in case the first post is edited)

The MyBB plugin/hooks system is pretty decent.. I'd need to intercept:
post edits - to update the generated post preview if it's the first post in a thread.
thread creation - to parse the submitted post and generate a preview to store in the threads table.
forum view requests - to supply the thread preview strings in variable x.
search requests - supply thread preview when searching in 'thread view' mode

The remaining hooks are for installation of config options, altering page templates, altering the threads table and automating install/uninstall, activation/deactivation.

I understand how the software works so your preaching to the choir. I was talking about the plugins in general.
Also as far as I'm aware such a plugin doesn't exist yet for MyBB. I checked.. If you want to write it go ahead though Tongue

I'll check over the code and if it's good I'll use it.

I'm not considering changing forum software since it's a freakin nightmare to change. MyBB is pretty fast, and does what's needed for the most part.
Also V Bulletin is commercial so that puts me off right away. No way am I spending time on that!

Right on, to make it clear I never thought you didn't know I was just talking out loud Big Grin

I have never used or browsed mybb until this forum, I like it, it's clean and runs smooth. Smile

Justin