Something new

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Something new
This really is something new to me. No, I didn't come out of closet today. Believe me I have always been atheist and I have never try to hide it. What is the new thing then? This is the first time, I write to social media. These lines are my first lines in social media. So I wish that you understand if I make some mistakes or don't understand to answer to everybody like I should. I'm not even baby in this, I think I am still an egg cell in this.

Anyway I really want to talk about atheism. Though I have never have to hide my atheism, I have never met an other atheist. Which is really odd, because I live in Finland. But it was actually a big surprise to me to find out that about 73% of people belong to church and only 65% believe to evolution. That is not much in a country, which has been in the top of PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment). Well now Finland has fallen downwards. By the way, do you know which countries are in the top of PISA now. South-Korea, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong, then comes Finland. Though Finland is not in the bottom, the direction is not promising. You can see it in everyday life. School lets trough the system children, who can barely read.

I am not a teacher, I'm just interested about things. Now there is a good question for you. Do you think, that atheists in generally are better educated than believers?

And now I have to go to sleep, but I'll be back.[/size][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Siiri's post
06-08-2016, 04:06 PM
RE: Something new
(06-08-2016 03:57 PM)Siiri Wrote:  This really is something new to me. No, I didn't come out of closet today. Believe me I have always been atheist and I have never try to hide it. What is the new thing then? This is the first time, I write to social media. These lines are my first lines in social media. So I wish that you understand if I make some mistakes or don't understand to answer to everybody like I should. I'm not even baby in this, I think I am still an egg cell in this.

Anyway I really want to talk about atheism. Though I have never have to hide my atheism, I have never met an other atheist. Which is really odd, because I live in Finland. But it was actually a big surprise to me to find out that about 73% of people belong to church and only 65% believe to evolution. That is not much in a country, which has been in the top of PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment). Well now Finland has fallen downwards. By the way, do you know which countries are in the top of PISA now. South-Korea, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong, then comes Finland. Though Finland is not in the bottom, the direction is not promising. You can see it in everyday life. School lets trough the system children, who can barely read.

I am not a teacher, I'm just interested about things. Now there is a good question for you. Do you think, that atheists in generally are better educated than believers?

And now I have to go to sleep, but I'll be back.[/size][/font]

Welcome.

That surprises me. I thought Finland was quite secular.

Anyway, if you need help getting around, just ask.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-08-2016, 05:05 PM
(06-08-2016 03:57 PM)Siiri Wrote:  I am not a teacher, I'm just interested about things. Now there is a good question for you. Do you think, that atheists in generally are better educated than believers?

You don't have to be well educated to question the existence of invisible pink unicorns, and such! Tongue

Welcome aboard! Shy

06-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
06-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the Monkey House!
06-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Hi, welcome here.

Don't worry about being new to forums / social media.
Talk as you would in real life Smile

*hands over a welcome cookie*

cheers,
Leela

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
06-08-2016, 07:03 PM
I really admire the Fin's. Their war against the Russians was amazing.

I am a modeller and have a Finnish Brewster Buffalo to build. Highest kill to loss of any aeroplane in WWI. 32 to 1 kill ratio under the Fin's.

Nobody else could use it.

I too am surprised at them being religious.

Welcome.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the TTA forum. Jump right in and have fun.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Welcome aboard.
09-08-2016, 02:36 AM
Welcome!
I dont know about better educated, that seems like an environmental factor. I would be interested in seeing IQ comparisons of theist and non theist participants, if a truly unbiased testing regimen could be established. I believe - and this is only my own belief- that more intelligent people are more likely to question the status quo.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post