Something to say

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Something to say
Due to the fact I go to a christian liberal arts college i have to take religion classes. I was surprised to see that they were not preechy. They examined the Bible, and the teachers taught me what religion scholars have to say, and historians. I could type atleast 20 pages on why the Bible is not true form what my teachers have taught me. Here are just a few highlights, and I mean just a few.

1. Jesus has taken credit for what other "miracle" workers have done. Questioning if he even existed.
2. The earliest scriptures said born of a young woman, not a virgin.
3. Scholars of the Bible state that the earliest scriptures talked about multiple gods. Yahweh was the most powerful and thats why the earlier jews focused on worshiping him. That is more than likely why the first commandment was created too.
4. Noah's Ark? More like the Atrahasis flood myth.
5. The gospels were "biographers". Biographers of that time when writing about others wrote for more of what one could get out of it rather than what actually heppened.
6. The book of Isiah never mentioned a hell, which is where the concept derives from. The earliest documents of that book had the word pit which is where all the dead go. Christian translations turned it into hell where sinners go. Milton popularized the idea of hell.
7. All the sources that the gospels used were never found. Nor who they even were.
8. "Jesus" lived in the oral traditions time of the first centuary. Not much if anything written down. Then the gospels decided to write about him fifty some years later.
9. I could go to like 100. I think that that is some interesting points though. Lets put it this way. Religious scholars and historians destroyed the Bible without needing science. All I need is common sense really to disregard it though. Martinb what would you like to say to this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2010, 10:46 PM

RE: Something to say
I am very surprised you got such a reasonably objective education at a Christian establishment. Those which I've attended weren't so rational.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010 07:50 AM by TheSixthGlass.)
If I had money to pay for multiple educations, I'd love to take classes like the ones you're describing. And I'd pay to send several people that I know.

Of course, I often wonder if it would matter. I shared Nova's "Bible's Buried Secrets" with a friend of mine. It was about an hour long video program that explored what historians (both believers and non-believers) know about the Bible and its history. I think it only covered the Old Testament. But basically all through the program, it shows where parts of the Bible are wrong, or not as accurate as they should be, or embellished. Even a believer should walk away from that program realizing that the Bible is not a completely accurate historic document.

But nope. She said "that show did nothing but bolster my faith in the Bible." Huh?!

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 03:04 PM

(11-04-2010 09:40 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Due to the fact I go to a christian liberal arts college i have to take religion classes. I was surprised to see that they were not preechy. They examined the Bible, and the teachers taught me what religion scholars have to say, and historians. I could type atleast 20 pages on why the Bible is not true form what my teachers have taught me. Here are just a few highlights, and I mean just a few.

1. Jesus has taken credit for what other "miracle" workers have done. Questioning if he even existed.
2. The earliest scriptures said born of a young woman, not a virgin.
3. Scholars of the Bible state that the earliest scriptures talked about multiple gods. Yahweh was the most powerful and thats why the earlier jews focused on worshiping him. That is more than likely why the first commandment was created too.
4. Noah's Ark? More like the Atrahasis flood myth.
5. The gospels were "biographers". Biographers of that time when writing about others wrote for more of what one could get out of it rather than what actually heppened.
6. The book of Isiah never mentioned a hell, which is where the concept derives from. The earliest documents of that book had the word pit which is where all the dead go. Christian translations turned it into hell where sinners go. Milton popularized the idea of hell.
7. All the sources that the gospels used were never found. Nor who they even were.
8. "Jesus" lived in the oral traditions time of the first centuary. Not much if anything written down. Then the gospels decided to write about him fifty some years later.
9. I could go to like 100. I think that that is some interesting points though. Lets put it this way. Religious scholars and historians destroyed the Bible without needing science. All I need is common sense really to disregard it though. Martinb what would you like to say to this?

Is there any chance you could send me a PM with other topics? I have wanted to study the historicity of the bible/Jesus more, but never knew where to start. This list is a perfect starting place.

Thank you in advance! Smile
14-04-2010, 01:26 AM

supermanlives1973, there's a book called 'Jesus, Interrupted' by Bart Ehrman which gives a good overview of the historicity of the bible, although it focusses on the New Testament. It's a fascinating book.
14-04-2010, 05:04 AM

(14-04-2010 01:26 AM)Stargazer Wrote:  supermanlives1973, there's a book called 'Jesus, Interrupted' by Bart Ehrman which gives a good overview of the historicity of the bible, although it focusses on the New Testament. It's a fascinating book.

Thank you, Stargazer. I was planning on getting that book and the other Ehrman wrote called "Misquoting Jesus". From the synopsis I have read for both, they promise to be interesting books... Smile