Sometimes I think they're lying!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 09:08 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
Sometimes I think they're lying!
Many of you are new to this whole atheism thing and can probably answer this for me.
See I've been an atheist for some 25 years. I gave up on fantasy (Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, god) at a pretty young age. I gave up on god a little later than the others but it was young none the less.
I've been a nonbeliever for so long now that I hardly remember what it's like to believe. I was naive as a kid (as I'm sure most of us were) and believing things was easy.
But with age often comes wisdom and the more I learned the more ridicules the whole god thing seemed.
I can understand the deist point of view and wouldn't at all be surprised if it turned out to be correct. But the personal god nonsense and the bullshit dogma and all the magic is beyond me. By the way, when I first heard of creationists the idea blew my mind. There are people who believe in a literal account of the bible? No way!
The question:
Do adults really believe this stuff or am I missing something? You might think this isn't a serious post but I genuinely can not wrap my head around this idea!
Slightly edited ...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
RE: Sometimes I think they're lying!
(06-02-2014 09:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Many of you are new to this whole atheism thing and can probably answer this for me.
See I've been an atheist for some 25 years. I gave up on fantasy (Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, god) at a pretty young age. I gave up on god a little later than the others but it was young none the less.
I've been a nonbeliever for so long now that I hardly remember what it's like to believe. I was naive as a kid (as I'm sure most of us were) and believing things was easy.
But with age often comes wisdom and the more I learned the more ridicules the whole god thing seemed.
I can understand the deist point of view and wouldn't at all be surprised if it turned out to be correct. But the personal god nonsense and the bullshit dogma and all the magic is beyond me. By the way, when I first heard of creationists the idea blew my mind. There are people who believe in a literal account of the bible? No way!
The question:
Do adults really believe this stuff or am I missing something. You might think this isn't a serious post but I genuinely can not wrap my head around this

Yes, some adults do truly believe this *stuff*. My mom was one of them.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-02-2014, 09:18 AM
(06-02-2014 09:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Many of you are new to this whole atheism thing and can probably answer this for me.
The question:
Do adults really believe this stuff or am I missing something? You might think this isn't a serious post but I genuinely can not wrap my head around this idea!
Slightly edited ...

Some people believe that more than they believe they exist themselves

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
06-02-2014, 09:24 AM
(06-02-2014 09:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But the personal god nonsense and the bullshit dogma and all the magic is beyond me.Do adults really believe this stuff or am I missing something? You might think this isn't a serious post but I genuinely can not wrap my head around this idea!
Being a theist is actually pretty easy! all you need to do is rev up your cognitive dissonance and juice up your wishful thinking and before you know it you're all blissfully delusional!

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
06-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Yes, many adults do believe this stuff for reasons ranging from indoctrination to fear. Some also don't want to know otherwise because it would upset their place in the world too much among relatives and friends and they prefer comfort and convenience.

What I really wonder about though is all the clergy who have (at least supposedly) spent far more time actually studying about religion than the average congregation member. How many of the clergy really believe? I suspect it's fewer than we might initially think.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
(06-02-2014 09:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  The question:

Well, I can only speak for myself, and even then, I feel that might not be reliable (as I spent a good amount of time lying to myself that I believed when I was pretty sure I didn't).

To ask if they really "believe" it could be hard to split into solid yes/no categories. When I was on college, the first time I was actually presented with "the hard questions", I would have maintained that I believed it, yet my ability to explain or defend it had drastically diminished.

Later on, I was at a stage where I "didn't feel it anymore", but I still wanted to believe. It's hard to say where I fell at that time. It's possible I didn't believe, but I just had the desire. It's possible I believed, but my belief was just weaker. It's really hard to explain.

In a more broad answer: yes, there are adults who totally believe this. Cognitive dissonance is very strong, and as long as people can keep creating non-falsifiable illusions to temporarily remove it, or as long as they can keep running in circles refusing to look at the contradiction directly, they will keep on "believing".
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-02-2014, 10:17 AM
I think, deep down, a lot of them really don't. Otherwise, they wouldn't do a lot of the things they do. They wouldn't take safety measures, they wouldn't ignore half the book, they would pray for a lot more things than they do, etc. Have you ever seen a Christian drink poison, like the Bible claims they can? My mother, a devout Christian, is afraid to let her Sunday School students walk ten feet to the bathroom by themselves because she knows God won't lift a finger to keep them safe in his own house.

I think this is a mostly subconscious thing, though. As far as they're concerned, yes, they do believe, and they will fight to maintain that.
06-02-2014, 10:24 AM
It is hard to fathom.

I distinctly remember a time in Sunday School when I was eight or nine, and thought "Does the teacher actually believe these stories?"; and I was embarrassed for him.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Another thing I can't understand is the fact that many theists can't even admit to the possibility that they're wrong. It's really tough sometimes trying to converse with them. It always comes back to what god wants and I suspect it's actually more about what they want.
I dunno... I guess I just don't get the mind of a theist ...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
06-02-2014, 12:38 PM
(06-02-2014 12:07 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Another thing I can't understand is the fact that many theists can't even admit to the possibility that they're wrong. It's really tough sometimes trying to converse with them. It always comes back to what god wants and I suspect it's actually more about what they want.
I dunno... I guess I just don't get the mind of a theist ...

QFT!!Heart

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.