Sometimes I wish I could believe in god (light depression)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 04:23 AM
RE: Sometimes I wish I could believe in god (light depression)
(14-03-2017 05:35 PM)Happy Skeptic Wrote:  If the sanitized Christian version of God existed, and everyone who "believed" got to heaven, that would be awesome. Who wouldn't want to see their family again (or at least the ones they like Wink )?

A number of years ago, my only nephew died, at age 6 of a rare and aggressive cancer. I was a Christian at the time, and prayed for chemo to work. I'm not sure he even understood about death, as the same gene that gave him cancer also gave him learning challenges (though it turned out he was actually quite bright).

Before he died, I literally felt I would be willing to offer my own life for his, were the option available. It was so unfair, and God was nowhere to be found.

This was the start of a journey for truth. It took years to get to the point of owning my unbelief, but now that I know I'm an atheist, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Life is precious. In my philosophy, every moment of life has value, even if that moment is witnessed by no-one else. The moments of my nephew's life didn't get erased by his death -- they exist as part of the record of the universe, and in the hearts of those who knew him.

Every moment of my life has value, and it is there to be enjoyed. I am also here to help make life enjoyable for those who interact with me. My death will be the final rest of a weary body, and I do not need an eternity in some imaginary place to give my life meaning. It has meaning now, and always will have.

I understand with wanting to trade places with someone that is terminally ill. I would gladly do that if something were to happen to my daughter. We all know that is an impossibility but it is something that most of us would be happy to do.

But that doesn't change the fact that when we die we do exactly that. And not to sound brutal (and I hope it doesn't come across that way) there is nothing at the end. Sure... a lot of us (myself included) were brought up that we will eventually see our relatives once again in the afterlife but as most of us know that doesn't happen.

Here's the way I look at it. I celebrate the time that I got to spend on this earth. I "try" to remember the best parts of their life since I think that is what they would want me to do. Losing my grandmother had a profound effect on me and still does to this day. She was one of the kindest person to ever walk the face of the earth. She had her flaws do doubt but in the end I loved her dearly. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her but after a long time I can now remember all the good things in her life. I've been to her gravesite one time and that was enough. She is not there. She is not anywhere except turning back to what she was formed from. But I'm okay with that. It's the circle of life.

We are on this earth for a very short period of time and what you do with that time defines the person you are. Make the most of every day. You are not guaranteed tomorrow (or the rest of the day for that matter). Make your mark on this earth and be remember fondly.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post