Sometimes I wonder just how harmful religion is....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Sometimes I wonder just how harmful religion is....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXgnpuKoWhU

If you don't want to click, here is the headline, "Fear grows among Uganda’s gay community over death penalty draft law".

Guess who proposed it? "...draft legislation introduced by a born-again Christian parliamentarian proposing the death penalty for gay sex, under certain conditions, has upped the ante."

I know this isn't an accurate representative for all Christians, but it only takes one to start a genocide. I usually like to presume the best of religions, but watching beliefs go to such extremes... I like to think religion inspires people to do good, but sometimes I wonder if the cons out weigh the pros.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
RE: Sometimes I wonder just how harmful religion is....
The cons definitely outweigh the pros.
Even when religion isn't causing bigoted idiocy like this, it still harms those associated with it. It cripples critical thinking capabilities by stating that there are certain things which cannot be questioned, things which cannot be contested. It places mental blocks around itself and, in doing so, encourages the building of further blocks - which leads to things like this.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply