Sometimes karma is a bitch...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: Sometimes karma is a bitch...
(24-07-2016 05:52 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 11:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  I had paid off the old house. I wanted a smaller one, and picking up and moving was a hassle, expensive and I didn't want to leave anyway. Selling the old house to salvage and building a new one was cheaper than selling the old one, buying a new one, and moving.

I am super happy with that decision. My house feels spacious, has a small foot print, and it's wonderfully functional. It has all the creature comforts and then some. A lot of things that are super expensive in a re-model are much more affordable in a new build, like heated floors, electrical capacity and set-up, gas/electric choices and lots of stuff. And, of course, the location is exactly where I want it to be.

Salvage- meaning that someone jacked it up off the foundation and relocated it? If so, that is very cool, a win-win situation.

Yep, they carted the whole thing off in pieces. Was too big to just move. But everything was salvaged, I got some money for it and they got a good deal, they had the land already. Everyone happy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2016, 10:40 PM
RE: Sometimes karma is a bitch...
(24-07-2016 08:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 05:52 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Salvage- meaning that someone jacked it up off the foundation and relocated it? If so, that is very cool, a win-win situation.

Yep, they carted the whole thing off in pieces. Was too big to just move. But everything was salvaged, I got some money for it and they got a good deal, they had the land already. Everyone happy.

Including me. I like the idea that a home (especially one of local architectural value) can be moved somewhere and reused, as opposed to just wrecking it into pieces and putting it in a landfill. We have kitchen cabinets purchased from a local ReStore Habitat for Humanity store. 1/10th the price of new. Old school- the current style is painted, and we bought some really nice birch units. One of these days I'll take some pics. Don't hold your breath, my camera and skills stink.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply