Sometimes wishing there was something

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Sometimes wishing there was something
I think it's super ridiculous when people say "Atheists just want to reject god/sin" or imply that we're trying to have things easy. No, it's not.

I know that personally, I can be drawn to things that are more spiritual/magical. I was that kid that was raised Christian and then secretly used ouija boards, and eventually my hand somehow, in order to talk to "spirits."

Now, I don't think I was actually talking to any spirits. However, I do at times wish there was something. It doesn't even have to be a god or deity. It could just be a good spirit. However, I *highly* doubt the Earth or universe has a spirit. Even when I was a Christian, I really liked to watch videos made by wiccans and people like that. I really enjoyed seeing how people set up their altars. I was even planning on making my own altar someday.

I also like listening to world/traditional music (esp indigenous music), Hindu music (especially the ones with flute and sitar), and a little wiccan or pagan stuff. It calms me down a lot.

I think I like the idea of the comfort that one can get from a spirit or deity, or perhaps feeling a connection to the Earth or the universe (mostly this one). However, there isn't any real evidence of any of this stuff. It's all in the mind as far as I can tell.

Is there something I can do to kind of satisfy this part of me? (I feel like a "bad atheist" a little, but whatever.)

☆☆☆
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CosmicRaven's post
11-09-2016, 06:46 AM
RE: Sometimes wishing there was something
I got nothing. But we're here for you! Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Sex always does it for me. Before that masturbation worked.
11-09-2016, 06:55 AM
I find that sacrificing virgins passes the time.

The question is not about that 'sense of the numinous' which we all have to some degree, the question is whether you make that leap from those feelings of awe that are inspired by our desire for cognitive ease i.e. from beauty (poetry, landscapes, music, etc.)) to a "therefore gods/goddesses" anthropomorphic explanation.

The latter is simply unnecessary.

So, to remain a "good atheist" satisfy those sensory desires ... just don't thanks the gods for them.

Thumbsup

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
11-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Buy a book on religions of the world - preferably with illustrations. I bet you will enjoy it and scratch your itch in a fun and useful way.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-09-2016, 08:36 AM
I am glad there is nothing before or after. The thought of being a puppet or lab rat is a vile thought to me. Life is too short to pin your hopes on fantasy.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
11-09-2016, 10:17 AM
(11-09-2016 08:36 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am glad there is nothing before or after. The thought of being a puppet or lab rat is a vile thought to me. Life is too short to pin your hopes on fantasy.

Yabbut, you are mother evolution's lab rat and a puppet to your DNA and chemical make up. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
11-09-2016, 11:31 AM
My 'sense of the numinous' tends to be satisfied by the wonders that can be found in the world around me. Delve deep enough into anything and you will find entire worlds that you never knew existed. Better, you find ways of looking at the world that reveal those hidden secrets everywhere you look. I suspect that this is what fascinates you with astronomy.

Sand The Way Geologists See It
[Image: Fig-85-Photomicrograph-of-anhydrite-grai...-01-mm.png]

My Houseplants Have Aphids! For Dinner!
[Image: droseoetio001.jpg]

Birth Cry of a Black Hole

The difficulty is that, like any respectable magic, this requires no small amount of effort, even as a hobby, and has its limitations. Some people don't want to expend the effort or be limitted. They prefer the woo. Some people feel that understanding takes the magic out of the world. They are typically the ones who don't understand. Those of us who do understand know that it adds new layers of wonder and wish we could share it more easily.

[Image: beauty.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-09-2016, 12:16 PM
(11-09-2016 06:37 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I think it's super ridiculous when people say "Atheists just want to reject god/sin" or imply that we're trying to have things easy. No, it's not.

I know that personally, I can be drawn to things that are more spiritual/magical. I was that kid that was raised Christian and then secretly used ouija boards, and eventually my hand somehow, in order to talk to "spirits."

Now, I don't think I was actually talking to any spirits. However, I do at times wish there was something. It doesn't even have to be a god or deity. It could just be a good spirit. However, I *highly* doubt the Earth or universe has a spirit. Even when I was a Christian, I really liked to watch videos made by wiccans and people like that. I really enjoyed seeing how people set up their altars. I was even planning on making my own altar someday.

I also like listening to world/traditional music (esp indigenous music), Hindu music (especially the ones with flute and sitar), and a little wiccan or pagan stuff. It calms me down a lot.

I think I like the idea of the comfort that one can get from a spirit or deity, or perhaps feeling a connection to the Earth or the universe (mostly this one). However, there isn't any real evidence of any of this stuff. It's all in the mind as far as I can tell.

Is there something I can do to kind of satisfy this part of me? (I feel like a "bad atheist" a little, but whatever.)

I meditate more now than I ever did when I thought it was connecting me with a spirit above, but knowing that it helps me to relax and connect to my self is better than ever.
11-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Quote:Is there something I can do to kind of satisfy this part of me?
There are several things.

The obvious and easiest is communing with nature. Just walking, looking, smelling, touching, being aware of and sympathetic to trees, birds, weeds and insects. They never cease to be interesting and they were infinitely pathetic. Every single natural entity you look at is doomed - not merely in its individual manifestation but in its species and genus. There is a profound universal melancholy in the contemplation of any aspect of the natural world because we are living in the end times. Their death; our death sentence: most of them will go before you do.

The next easiest is hallucinogens.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 9 users Like Peterkin's post