Sometimes wishing there was something

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2016, 02:20 PM
RE: Sometimes wishing there was something
(11-09-2016 01:31 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
Quote:Is there something I can do to kind of satisfy this part of me?
There are several things.

The obvious and easiest is communing with nature. Just walking, looking, smelling, touching, being aware of and sympathetic to trees, birds, weeds and insects. They never cease to be interesting and they were infinitely pathetic. Every single natural entity you look at is doomed - not merely in its individual manifestation but in its species and genus. There is a profound universal melancholy in the contemplation of any aspect of the natural world because we are living in the end times. Their death; our death sentence: most of them will go before you do.

The next easiest is hallucinogens.

Jesus Sadcryface For a first post after such a long hiatus you sure know how to hit the cheery notes.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Oh I know the feeling too. All the bad that comes from blind faith, there is still a lot of comfort it can bring too...
I have these moments, but they get rarer and rarer as the years go by.
When I have them, I remember automatically how all the negatives outweigh that fuzzy feeling and suddenly I really don't miss it any more.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
11-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Stand inside a narrow doorway and, with your arms by your side at first, press them out as hard as you can against the outer frame for about two minutes. Then lower your arms and walk forward, your arms will raise as if guided by an unseen spirit. Oooooooo!!!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
11-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Read a book about mycology and go on a mushroom hunt in your backyard, local park or woods. Get some field guide books on your local birds, fish, trees and plants. Watch some YouTube vids and or read a few books about astronomy. These sorts of things help me appreciate the wonders of the natural world around me and the workings of our universe as we understand it. Maybe it can help scratch your itch?
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Congo's post
11-09-2016, 06:40 PM
And, of course, you can still revel - wallow, if you like - in liturgical music. If you listen to a children's choir, you can even cry, unashamed, since their sharp little voices cut right through the sinuses of even the most hardened unbeliever.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
11-09-2016, 07:56 PM
(11-09-2016 06:37 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I think it's super ridiculous when people say "Atheists just want to reject god/sin" or imply that we're trying to have things easy. No, it's not.

I know that personally, I can be drawn to things that are more spiritual/magical. I was that kid that was raised Christian and then secretly used ouija boards, and eventually my hand somehow, in order to talk to "spirits."

Now, I don't think I was actually talking to any spirits. However, I do at times wish there was something. It doesn't even have to be a god or deity. It could just be a good spirit. However, I *highly* doubt the Earth or universe has a spirit. Even when I was a Christian, I really liked to watch videos made by wiccans and people like that. I really enjoyed seeing how people set up their altars. I was even planning on making my own altar someday.

I also like listening to world/traditional music (esp indigenous music), Hindu music (especially the ones with flute and sitar), and a little wiccan or pagan stuff. It calms me down a lot.

I think I like the idea of the comfort that one can get from a spirit or deity, or perhaps feeling a connection to the Earth or the universe (mostly this one). However, there isn't any real evidence of any of this stuff. It's all in the mind as far as I can tell.

Is there something I can do to kind of satisfy this part of me? (I feel like a "bad atheist" a little, but whatever.)

Hello,

When we look at all the bad news coming at us from the four corners of the globe it isn't much wonder why anybody would hold out hope that something greater than ourselves may be in existence.

It seems the world is always full of bad news, bad people, bad this, that, and the other thing. We see homophobia, prejudice, hate crimes, murder, and a plethora of other unconscionable and unspeakable acts that betray the true nature of the most basic human condition of "do no harm."

But when you stand back far enough you can see the big picture that illustrates not only what is happening, but why it is happening. Once you understand the "why" of it all, perhaps then you will remember why you come to a forum like this with atheists, as well as secularists like me.

When we look at this big picture we see how much religion has played a big part in all these bad things happening in the world. We see all these current wars being waged with religious beliefs being the catalyst. When we examine the religious beliefs of criminals convicted of all the heinous crimes I have listed above, we see a pattern of how humankind gets influenced by these beliefs insomuch as they shape the minds of people in such a way that those people develop a "us verses them" attitude.

Directly from birth with a baptism, a child develops the characteristic of discrimination against others. They are taught to hate, yes to hate gays, lesbians, or anybody transitioning from one gender to another. They are taught to distrust people of other religious denominations and beliefs. They are indoctrinated into a belief system that is exclusive to anyone who disagrees with them. This is where hate takes root, and this is where hate grows.

But here you are with us. Your rationality and reasoning has lead you to seek refuge among the reasonable and the rational. Within the core of your being you already know and have accepted the more reasonable position that, in all probability, there is no God, no spirits, and no promised ethereal realm. You are here because you have the strength and courage to acknowledge the more plausible reality that we, the people, are really all we have.

And there is nothing wrong with being the way you really are. You can see the world for what it is, and make reasonable and rational evaluations because you do not want to have any kind of religious/spiritual beliefs influencing your opinion and evaluation of the current realities existing in this crazy world.

Instead, you stand here with us- the atheists and the secularists- in a united front to help bring a consciousness to the world, a consciousness that rails against the unspeakable horrors we all witness. A consciousness that points the finger at injustice, snarls in the face of discrimination, and is motivated to help make the world a better place, one person at a time.

It is a consciousness for change.

Therefore, stand strong. Rise up from the bowels of any such beliefs that you hope could exist, and instead turn your eyes towards a future where you, yes you, can help make this world a better place one person at a time, because you matter. You make a difference.

It is people like you who will paint a different portrait for the generations to come, and it is there where your legacy will endure; a testament to the sacrifices of those of us who stood up, and in one united voice we cried "Enough! This ends now!"

Just imagine all the possibilities. Just imagine a brighter future for all. Just imagine how much you can make a difference. And on this monumental day ...

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Peace.
[+] 5 users Like GoingUp's post
12-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Cosmic,

I take comfort from the thought that we are all in it together, and all going to the same place (whatever that is?).

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
15-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Personally I gain comfort from being able to learn about the world as well as myself. The fact that I have a brain that is capable of so many things is comforting to me.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
15-09-2016, 10:12 AM
(11-09-2016 01:31 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
Quote:Is there something I can do to kind of satisfy this part of me?
There are several things.

The obvious and easiest is communing with nature.
The next easiest is hallucinogens.

Why not both? Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post