Son Of A Bee..............

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 03:48 AM
Son Of A Bee..............
Well -- daughters, really...

I found a I had a nest of what I thought were wasps in the second story attic...... They were coming in at the peak, at the bottom of the trim, right where the siding comes to the trim..... I noticed a "cloud" of them yesterday, when I was doing something else -- and realized I had a problem.....

Years back - I had a wasps nest in the ceiling of the same roof line -- but on the side rather than the end.... I noticed a "wet spot" on the ceiling while cleaning -- and touched it with the vacuum cleaner -- and whole section of the drywall fell off the ceiling and onto the bed- spilling a wasps nest onto the bed.... Fortunately it was early in the morning and still cool -- so I got out without of the upstairs without getting stung to death... A good trick seeing the stairs up there are almost a ladder -- and I'd just started walking again after 18 months in a wheelchair.... Good thing I was still sleeping downstairs..... I ended up using "bug bombs" -- the type that when you press the release button - it sprays till it's empty....... I lit them off, and tossed them upstairs like a GI taking out a German pillbox...... I used 5.... It got them...... What a mess --- a whole day of cleaning - (throwing away the mattress) and re-insulating and drywalling the ceiling....

So -- I got up at 3:30 a.m. and went outside to assess the situation and implement my game plan..... I looked up to the peak of the roof - and was amazed to see a "beard" of bees..... Thousands of them........

Ohhhh... shit..... This ain't good....

The plan --- I made up a 20 foot section of 2 inch PVC pipe and fitted it to my big shop vac.... I took it all outside and set it up, with the PVC pipe (with an elbow on the ground) with the shop-vac plugged into the elbow..... So now -- all I have to do is position the pipe near the "beard" of bees --- and yeah -- sadly it turns out they're feral honey bees --- and turn on the shop vac.....

I carefully sucked up about 90 percent of the bees before they got too agitated - then pulled the hose from the shop vac -- and sprayed in some bug death spray --- then replaced the hose and shut off the vac.......

I waited 15 minutes -- and repeated the process....

When it gets light out -- I'm going to light off several bug bombs in the attic -- where it will get into the space where the nest is --- and then turn on the vacuum to see how many flee - I have the PVC pipe situated right at the entrance to the nest -- so they should get sucked up as they fly out.......

Whatta pain in the ass..... I'll wait for cold weather to tear the ceiling down and remove the nest.....

Sad

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2016, 04:38 AM
RE: Son Of A Bee..............
The remaining bees are probably way too agitated now, but AFAIK when they swarm they're in fact not that dangerous - contacting a bee-keeper would have allowed him to remove them safely. The time when bees are dangerous is when they're protecting a hive.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-07-2016, 04:56 AM
I have a honey bee hive in one of the flues in my chimney in Germany. In winter when the bees have died out and before a new swarm arrives I stick my hand up the chimney with some drain roads and extract loads of bees wax and store it in a big bin liner. It's actually expensive and useful stuff, but not if it has been poisoned.

When I first opened the bottom hatch of the flue, I scooped out 24 litres of dead bees and put them in my compost bin.

They can't do any harm in our chimney as there's no way for them to eat through into the rest of the house. As I have no plans on using that flue I'm just going to harvest their wax on a regular basis. I did wonder if I could divert the flue into an enclosed bee hive in the attic but that's probably asking for trouble as I would then be introducing them into the house. I did try getting a local bee keeper to take them away but there was no way for him to get to the queen.

It's possible that we have actually created a safe environment for them because we grow carnivorous pitcher plants on an almost industrial scale and they don't eat honey bees, although they do eat bumble bees unfortunately. Pitcher plants will also eat any predators or competition to honey bees. I am happy letting wild honey bees have our chimney though because I know that there's a massive bee die-off at the moment and they need all the help they can get, especially as we humans depend on bees to pollinate crops.
26-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Yeah -- I contacted a beekeeper to see what it would take to remove them --- $$$$$$$$$.....

Screw that ...

The shop vac and some bug bombs will turn the trick....

Bad enough I have to fix (and pay for) the damage they've already done --- I'm not about to give them a new home too...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-07-2016, 06:04 AM
(26-07-2016 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- I contacted a beekeeper to see what it would take to remove them --- $$$$$$$$$.....

Screw that ...

Bad enough I have to fix (and pay for) the damage they've already done --- I'm not about to give them a new home too...

Hmm. The beekeepers I've hung out with tend to do that kinda thing for free - they get a new hive out of the deal. Your guy sounds dodgy.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-07-2016, 06:18 AM
(26-07-2016 06:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- I contacted a beekeeper to see what it would take to remove them --- $$$$$$$$$.....

Screw that ...

Hmm. The beekeepers I've hung out with tend to do that kinda thing for free - they get a new hive out of the deal. Your guy sounds dodgy.

Uh... perhaps you don't understand -- to get the nest out - it's going to take dismantling part of the house...... You're not going to do a Pied Piper and get them to all follow the sound of a pipe......

It's going to be a shitload of nasty, messy work...

26-07-2016, 06:58 AM
(26-07-2016 03:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Well -- daughters, really...

I found a I had a nest of what I thought were wasps in the second story attic...... They were coming in at the peak, at the bottom of the trim, right where the siding comes to the trim..... I noticed a "cloud" of them yesterday, when I was doing something else -- and realized I had a problem.....

Years back - I had a wasps nest in the ceiling of the same roof line -- but on the side rather than the end.... I noticed a "wet spot" on the ceiling while cleaning -- and touched it with the vacuum cleaner -- and whole section of the drywall fell off the ceiling and onto the bed- spilling a wasps nest onto the bed.... Fortunately it was early in the morning and still cool -- so I got out without of the upstairs without getting stung to death... A good trick seeing the stairs up there are almost a ladder -- and I'd just started walking again after 18 months in a wheelchair.... Good thing I was still sleeping downstairs..... I ended up using "bug bombs" -- the type that when you press the release button - it sprays till it's empty....... I lit them off, and tossed them upstairs like a GI taking out a German pillbox...... I used 5.... It got them...... What a mess --- a whole day of cleaning - (throwing away the mattress) and re-insulating and drywalling the ceiling....

So -- I got up at 3:30 a.m. and went outside to assess the situation and implement my game plan..... I looked up to the peak of the roof - and was amazed to see a "beard" of bees..... Thousands of them........

Ohhhh... shit..... This ain't good....

The plan --- I made up a 20 foot section of 2 inch PVC pipe and fitted it to my big shop vac.... I took it all outside and set it up, with the PVC pipe (with an elbow on the ground) with the shop-vac plugged into the elbow..... So now -- all I have to do is position the pipe near the "beard" of bees --- and yeah -- sadly it turns out they're feral honey bees --- and turn on the shop vac.....

I carefully sucked up about 90 percent of the bees before they got too agitated - then pulled the hose from the shop vac -- and sprayed in some bug death spray --- then replaced the hose and shut off the vac.......

I waited 15 minutes -- and repeated the process....

When it gets light out -- I'm going to light off several bug bombs in the attic -- where it will get into the space where the nest is --- and then turn on the vacuum to see how many flee - I have the PVC pipe situated right at the entrance to the nest -- so they should get sucked up as they fly out.......

Whatta pain in the ass..... I'll wait for cold weather to tear the ceiling down and remove the nest.....

Sad

If you wait until the winter to remove them, does that mean the workers have died off or abandoned the nest until next summer? Is the nest basically unguarded and vulnerable or are the adults in some kind of hibernation and capable of responding to an attack?
26-07-2016, 07:25 AM
(26-07-2016 06:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 06:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hmm. The beekeepers I've hung out with tend to do that kinda thing for free - they get a new hive out of the deal. Your guy sounds dodgy.

Uh... perhaps you don't understand -- to get the nest out - it's going to take dismantling part of the house...... You're not going to do a Pied Piper and get them to all follow the sound of a pipe......

If they're swarming - making up a "beard" as you called it - then they aren't nesting. I actually had a hive that installed itself in my flat last year with a proper nest. My landlady at the time happened to be a beekeeper and she winkled them out no problem. Swarming bees actually can be controlled quite easily by getting hold of the queen (AFAIK, I'm no expert, although I've done a lot of reading 'cos bees are interesting) as they'll all follow her pheromones. It's also helpful to do the operation at night when the bees are all sleepy.

26-07-2016, 07:27 AM
I would think that a beekeeper would come out and clean the nest out for you for free. My daddy would have, but he is gone now these 11 years. But contact a professional bee keeper and see if they will get rid of your problem for you. Spraying probably won't get the queen if they are already established.
26-07-2016, 08:59 AM
(26-07-2016 07:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 06:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Uh... perhaps you don't understand -- to get the nest out - it's going to take dismantling part of the house...... You're not going to do a Pied Piper and get them to all follow the sound of a pipe......

If they're swarming - making up a "beard" as you called it - then they aren't nesting. I actually had a hive that installed itself in my flat last year with a proper nest. My landlady at the time happened to be a beekeeper and she winkled them out no problem. Swarming bees actually can be controlled quite easily by getting hold of the queen (AFAIK, I'm no expert, although I've done a lot of reading 'cos bees are interesting) as they'll all follow her pheromones. It's also helpful to do the operation at night when the bees are all sleepy.

They're making a beard because of the heat.

They're in the peak of the roof. They were outside the nest AT NIGHT (did you miss the part where I said I was out there at 3:30 in the morning???)--- because their bodies do generate heat -- and they were cooling the nest down.