Son Of A Bee..............

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 09:01 AM
RE: Son Of A Bee..............
(26-07-2016 07:27 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I would think that a beekeeper would come out and clean the nest out for you for free. My daddy would have, but he is gone now these 11 years. But contact a professional bee keeper and see if they will get rid of your problem for you. Spraying probably won't get the queen if they are already established.

I'll douse them with chemicals to try to knock them down quickly... But -- all I have to do is keep sucking up the workers ---- and the rest - the drones, the nursery workers the larvae and the queen -- will starve to death - or leave.....

So until further notice -- the PVC pipe stays in place... Then all I have to do is run the shop vac every so often...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2016, 09:19 AM
When you do finally get rid of the bees make sure to get rid of all the wax. I was reading about this when finding out about the bees in my chimney. A new colony will take over an old unused hive when they swarm.

There's no way I can remove all the wax in my flue because of the fire cement covering the brickwork, but even if I removed as much as I could, installed a fireplace and melted / burnt the remaining wax away risking a chimney fire in the process, it could still attract a new swarm when I wasn't using it for long periods of time.
26-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Run! Run away! I'm allergic to bees. Bechased

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-07-2016, 09:30 AM
(26-07-2016 09:26 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Run! Run away! I'm allergic to bees. Bechased

That's a real shame. I found them really cute.
26-07-2016, 11:22 AM
(26-07-2016 09:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  When you do finally get rid of the bees make sure to get rid of all the wax. I was reading about this when finding out about the bees in my chimney. A new colony will take over an old unused hive when they swarm.

There's no way I can remove all the wax in my flue because of the fire cement covering the brickwork, but even if I removed as much as I could, installed a fireplace and melted / burnt the remaining wax away risking a chimney fire in the process, it could still attract a new swarm when I wasn't using it for long periods of time.

I've been looking at it -- and the best bet is going to be tearing down the drywall on the ceiling upstairs. I'll wait till freezing weather -- if there's any bees left - they won't be a problem..... I'll have to tear out all the insulation - as it will be moisture saturated --and probably waxed too.......

Of course the floor is carpeted up there....... Lots of duct tape and tarps, I guess....

It sucks - we need bees.....

I just don't need them for roommates...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-07-2016, 11:49 AM
(26-07-2016 08:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 07:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  If they're swarming - making up a "beard" as you called it - then they aren't nesting. I actually had a hive that installed itself in my flat last year with a proper nest. My landlady at the time happened to be a beekeeper and she winkled them out no problem. Swarming bees actually can be controlled quite easily by getting hold of the queen (AFAIK, I'm no expert, although I've done a lot of reading 'cos bees are interesting) as they'll all follow her pheromones. It's also helpful to do the operation at night when the bees are all sleepy.

They're making a beard because of the heat.

They're in the peak of the roof. They were outside the nest AT NIGHT (did you miss the part where I said I was out there at 3:30 in the morning???)--- because their bodies do generate heat -- and they were cooling the nest down.

I can find no evidence to back up your claim that bees swarm outside the hive as a temperature regulation method. As far as I am aware bees swarm to *keep warm* ETA: and then only during establishment of a new hive, to protect the queen. They keep the interior of their hives temperature regulated by fanning their wings. Also they prefer temperatures between 27 and 34 degrees Celsius. (81 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit), so unless it really is *stinking* hot - hotter than 34 C at night - there's not even a motive for them to cool it down.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-07-2016, 12:23 PM
(26-07-2016 11:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 08:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They're making a beard because of the heat.

They're in the peak of the roof. They were outside the nest AT NIGHT (did you miss the part where I said I was out there at 3:30 in the morning???)--- because their bodies do generate heat -- and they were cooling the nest down.

I can find no evidence to back up your claim that bees swarm outside the hive as a temperature regulation method. As far as I am aware bees swarm to *keep warm* ETA: and then only during establishment of a new hive, to protect the queen. They keep the interior of their hives temperature regulated by fanning their wings. Also they prefer temperatures between 27 and 34 degrees Celsius. (81 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit), so unless it really is *stinking* hot - hotter than 34 C at night - there's not even a motive for them to cool it down.

Uh.... I have a thermometer in the upstairs room -- it was 95f INSIDE -- at 3:30 a.m....... I'm sure in the small enclosed area above the ceiling it was even hotter....

Outside -- it was 70f....

As far as them "fanning their wings" to cool down the nest --- good luck with that ----

The nest opening is about 3/4 of an inch round.... You'd need an air compressor to get enough airflow through it...

26-07-2016, 12:31 PM
(26-07-2016 12:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 11:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  I can find no evidence to back up your claim that bees swarm outside the hive as a temperature regulation method. As far as I am aware bees swarm to *keep warm* ETA: and then only during establishment of a new hive, to protect the queen. They keep the interior of their hives temperature regulated by fanning their wings. Also they prefer temperatures between 27 and 34 degrees Celsius. (81 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit), so unless it really is *stinking* hot - hotter than 34 C at night - there's not even a motive for them to cool it down.

Uh.... I have a thermometer in the upstairs room -- it was 95f INSIDE -- at 3:30 a.m....... I'm sure in the small enclosed area above the ceiling it was even hotter....

Outside -- it was 70f....

As far as them "fanning their wings" to cool down the nest --- good luck with that ----

The nest opening is about 3/4 of an inch round.... You'd need an air compressor to get enough airflow through it...

I ain't saying you're wrong, I just can't find a reference.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.