Son vs Father

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 04:28 PM
RE: Son vs Father
Damn - like banging your forehead against a jagged rock! I get into it with my mother in law from time to time and she just drains me by dodging points and twisting information in her favor. To be that convinced it is true just boggles my mind and always has, since my first cognitive though as a child.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Your father had never heard of the Crusades? Was he raised by wolves? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-01-2014, 05:11 PM
(08-01-2014 04:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You seem awfully familiar to me.

Consider

Are you sure you're from Cali?

You just really remind me of someone named Ryan, who is 18, and is considering atheism; likewise, his father sounds like your father...

Lol, well first off Ryan is a VERY common name. I personally know over 15 other Ryan's. Secondly, I'm not "considering" atheism, I've been an atheist for about 5-6 years.
But it is possible you know me from another forum, Xbox 360 gaming, YouTube, or maybe travel. I've been to most states (big family) and out of country.

Atir aissom atir imon
08-01-2014, 05:13 PM
(08-01-2014 04:28 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Damn - like banging your forehead against a jagged rock! I get into it with my mother in law from time to time and she just drains me by dodging points and twisting information in her favor. To be that convinced it is true just boggles my mind and always has, since my first cognitive though as a child.

Exactly, I feel your pain bro

Atir aissom atir imon
08-01-2014, 05:16 PM
(08-01-2014 04:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your father had never heard of the Crusades? Was he raised by wolves? Consider

I wondered the samething, I asked him later and he admitted he knew of it (just that the "Muslims attacked Christianity"), so I'm assuming just tried to dodge the question.
(yes I didn't bother explaining the whole mess to him)

Atir aissom atir imon
08-01-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm interested in the words of encouragement here to "keep going!" and "there's still hope!"

Is it an atheist's duty to try to make believers use rational thinking?

As an atheist, doesn't it tick you off when Christians try to convert you?

Golden Rule: Treat others how you'd want to be treated. Is your father in your face about this, trying to bring you back to his Christian side? If yes, then by all means hit him with both barrels. But if not, leave it alone.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
08-01-2014, 05:33 PM
(08-01-2014 05:26 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I'm interested in the words of encouragement here to "keep going!" and "there's still hope!"

Is it an atheist's duty to try to make believers use rational thinking?

As an atheist, doesn't it tick you off when Christians try to convert you?

Golden Rule: Treat others how you'd want to be treated. Is your father in your face about this, trying to bring you back to his Christian side? If yes, then by all means hit him with both barrels. But if not, leave it alone.

This is a very fair statement. In all honesty, he used to be. Now not so much, normally it's an arrogant/ignorant statement he makes about something to me that sets me off. That's when I "give him both barrels" (and what started this argument). But to be fair, yes I have started my share of arguments.

Atir aissom atir imon
08-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Time is precious man. If he's not pissing you off or trying to convert you then just be happy you have a dad. Who cares what he thinks, you know what is true to you.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
08-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Son vs Father
(08-01-2014 05:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Time is precious man. If he's not pissing you off or trying to convert you then just be happy you have a dad. Who cares what he thinks, you know what is true to you.

Don't forget to love him, right? That's also what I meant by patience. Try not to let it devolve into just an argument.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
08-01-2014, 05:52 PM
(08-01-2014 05:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Time is precious man. If he's not pissing you off or trying to convert you then just be happy you have a dad. Who cares what he thinks, you know what is true to you.

(08-01-2014 05:42 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Don't forget to love him, right? That's also what I meant by patience. Try not to let it devolve into just an argument.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love my dad (when he was there that is). We had a rocky start, but it's smoothed out over the years. He's a great guy, a good role model, it's just we are so different in how we think that if we spend too much time together we're bound to fight about something.

Atir aissom atir imon